Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 02:28 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,196,417 times

Advertisements

i have a friend that's taking care of someone on IHSS that has seizures and she is going to take him and get his section 8 app. she asked the mgr if she has to be on his section 8 with him and the mgr keeps telling her yes she does. well she don't want to be on his section 8 with him so that she can relocate once he passes if and when he does. thoughts and inputs on this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM

539 posts, read 569,165 times
They might not have asked the question properly. Everyone in the living space must be on the section 8 voucher. People tend to have the habit of getting that cheap rent, and letting everybody and their cousins babymomma new boyfriend to stay with them. You cannot apply to somewhere with a voucher for one person when two people will be living there at any given time. If the person who has seizures will be living by themself, with no assistance needed at all, they can apply for 1 person. If the disability is so bad that they must have a caretaker with them, that miggt be where the confusion came from. Anyone living under the voucher for any period of time must be listed on the voucher. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do, anyways.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 AM

15,131 posts, read 32,394,293 times
It doesn't work that way. Your friend will have to apply for Section 8 on her own. Just because she's taking care of someone, and getting paid by IHSS, doesn't mean that she's going to automatically get the Section 8 voucher. She has to apply and with her turn just like everyone else. In San Diego, there's an 8-10 year waiting list for Section 8 vouchers.

how do people live off ihss it's a joke. This is not true. If someone needs more hours, they're evaluated for them. So your friend isn't correct in saying that she only gets two hours per day.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,520,356 times
Nothing is stopping this friend of yours from being on the Section 8 voucher and being the caretaker for this person, and then going on with their life after the person passes. People don't have to stay on Section 8 their entire lives (it is supposed to be temporary assistance, even though it usually isn't). They can be on the voucher for a while and then go off Section 8 and go rent someplace like the average adult does.

If they live there, they have to be listed on the voucher. Even underage children are listed on the voucher, by name.

Unless you are leaving something out, I don't even understand what the concern is here.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:01 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,394,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Nothing is stopping this friend of yours from being on the Section 8 voucher and being the caretaker for this person, and then going on with their life after the person passes. People don't have to stay on Section 8 their entire lives (it is supposed to be temporary assistance, even though it usually isn't). They can be on the voucher for a while and then go off Section 8 and go rent someplace like the average adult does.

If they live there, they have to be listed on the voucher. Even underage children are listed on the voucher, by name.

Unless you are leaving something out, I don't even understand what the concern is here.
The friend thinks that when the person she is caregiving for, she's going to automatically inherit the Section 8 voucher, and use it to relocate. When that time comes, the voucher will go to someone on the waiting list, not the caregiver.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:27 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,374,798 times
No the Voucher goes to the people that are on it. But as others have said she does not have to renew it once the person dies. Part I question is WHY they want a Caretaker on it to begin with. Section 8 goes by the income of ALL person Named. Therefore They will include the Caretakers income ALL income to decide the amount of rent. Caretaker would have to abide by ALL rules of reporting & Wont be allowed to own anything inc a decent car or home. And the caretaker would be responsible to fulfill the Lease Agreement. Including paying ALL the rent till the end of lease. NOPE No way I would do this if I was a caretaker.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,076,377 times
Maybe she is an illegal alien. Maybe she owes back taxes or doesn't pay them now. Maybe she gets money from another source and she doesn't want the feds to know. Maybe, maybe.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Maybe she is an illegal alien. Maybe she owes back taxes or doesn't pay them now. Maybe she gets money from another source and she doesn't want the feds to know. Maybe, maybe.
that's ****ing funny!!! She is not an illegal I don't this Ihss would hire her if she was. She also pays her taxes as well and she does not get money from another source. Maybe maybe maybe

Old 11-02-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
No the Voucher goes to the people that are on it. But as others have said she does not have to renew it once the person dies. Part I question is WHY they want a Caretaker on it to begin with. Section 8 goes by the income of ALL person Named. Therefore They will include the Caretakers income ALL income to decide the amount of rent. Caretaker would have to abide by ALL rules of reporting & Wont be allowed to own anything inc a decent car or home. And the caretaker would be responsible to fulfill the Lease Agreement. Including paying ALL the rent till the end of lease. NOPE No way I would do this if I was a caretaker.
There's no way that I would not do it either. I see a lot of red flags in this situation. It is an interesting question of why they want a care taker on the lease to. The one thing I can think of is that if he screws up the apt then she's liable for the damages and back rent if any of this is done. As you also said she won't be able to have anything like a nice car bank acct or home etc etc etc. And once her parents pass on then she will be getting a big inheritance in the millions her plan is to buy a house all cash after moving out of ca.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It doesn't work that way. Your friend will have to apply for Section 8 on her own. Just because she's taking care of someone, and getting paid by IHSS, doesn't mean that she's going to automatically get the Section 8 voucher. She has to apply and with her turn just like everyone else. In San Diego, there's an 8-10 year waiting list for Section 8 vouchers.

how do people live off ihss it's a joke. This is not true. If someone needs more hours, they're evaluated for them. So your friend isn't correct in saying that she only gets two hours per day.
yes my friend is very much correct in saying she only gets 2 hours a day I've seen her time sheets!! And as far as being re evaluated her worker just gives em the run around and telling them he's not that bad off yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting