Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:42 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh geez, all this time I see "ocnj" and I'm thinking Ocean County and assuming you're up near Seaside Park. I have some familiarity with that area but am clueless regarding everything further south.
That's funny, someone else told me that before, too. Exit 30 on the GSP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 12:27 AM

193 posts, read 169,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
In most cases a mortgage payment is much cheaper then rent by at least a few hundred a month.
Do you even look at the breakdown? It's like 70% goes to paying off the interests first. lol

Then you get a nice Property Tax bill that you have to pay bi-annually.

Not to mentions utilities.

Whereas Renters don't pay property tax, don't pay for water usually, etc etc.

the only advantage of a mortgage is you will eventually own the house and no longer have to pay mortgage. You'll just get stuck with Property Tax for the rest of your life.

Heck, for my Multi-unit Complex, the property tax is basically the same amount the average rent cost. It's excessively high. We need to abolish Property Tax.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Do you even look at the breakdown? It's like 70% goes to paying off the interests first. lol

the only advantage of a mortgage is you will eventually own the house and no longer have to pay mortgage. You'll just get stuck with Property Tax for the rest of your life.

Heck, for my Multi-unit Complex, the property tax is basically the same amount the average rent cost. It's excessively high. We need to abolish Property Tax.

Trust me, landlords do the math and make sure property taxes are covered by the rent. If they lost money they wouldn't stay in the landlord business.

And in 36 states, property taxes are higher on a property used as a rental than on the same property if owner-occupied.

Replacing a property tax with some other tax just means someone else is going to pay more tax.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you are pretty wrong . the early years in hcola can certainly be at a loss for a landlord . like any long term investment walking in day 1 does not always produce a profit .

it took us 6 years as right after we bought the stock market crashed in 1987 and we entered a very long period of depressed real estate prices and rents in nyc .

who would a thunk , nyc actually had rents fall . but even without the downturn we were only positive the early years by depreciation being added in .

Old 12-30-2016, 05:58 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post

What you need to do if move to where the taxes are lower.

The other advantage to having a mortgage is that it won't go up like rent will. In 29 years when you are almost done paying it off it will seem like nothing while renters will have seen their rents triple or more during that time. Also if you own a home the LL can't tell you to move.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:11 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
To answer the OP and the question posed on the thread topic: Some people prefer to rent the property rather than rent the money. ( tie up/bury a large sum in a hole in the front yard in order to rent the monthly payment from a bank.)

Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 AM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

The other advantage to having a mortgage is that it won't go up like rent will. In 29 years when you are almost done paying it off it will seem like nothing while renters will have seen their rents triple or more during that time. Also if you own a home the LL can't tell you to move.
telling someone to move where taxes are lower is like telling someone to move to where the pay is higher .

in the end other things may balance things out , or people are not just leaving their kids , family and friends

Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:

i.e. in the long run, buying is often cheaper than renting, plus you build equity you can ultimately convert to cash.
Tell that to the people who bought in 2005-2009 in many places.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:07 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Oh geez, all this time I see "ocnj" and I'm thinking Ocean County and assuming you're up near Seaside Park. I have some familiarity with that area but am clueless regarding everything further south.
Are you here in NJ, freemkt? You might wanna call Rev. Steve Brigham in Howell and move to the tent city in the woods. They sound as if they have it better than you!

Homeless find home in wooded Howell encampment

Old 12-31-2016, 08:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post

Renting is where you pay an increasing premium for temporary, impaired, untenured use of property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting