Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 10:38 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

Our lease does not require a tenant to notify us of their personal comings and goings for absences under 21 days. Most will if they are gone for a week or more and many will if they expect packages. Over 21 days they are supposed to notify the PM. Regardless if notified or not, we will Never enter a unit without attempting contact with tenants via posting a notice to enter or otherwise trying all communications options for the tenant. If there is a need for a welfare check or other legitimate need to enter, we follow the law regarding essential entry. State law does not give us the arbitrary right to enter, even if its innocent like leaving a package.

We do hold packages for tenants that were delivered to us. Unless the tenant has authorized us to enter to leave a package, we are not going to go in because the law says we can't go in. We will also remove any package left at a tenant's door if there for more than 24 hours without notification by the tenant. If we remove a "hallways package" we leave a note and will secured it in the same manner as all other deliveries for tenants. We would enter a tenant's unit just to push in a package regardless how nice we think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 02:47 AM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
a friend of mine had this happen. her landlord said he'd be by to fix something.....he brought other un announced people and was literally going room to room being nosey.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:20 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
I would never enter any of my tenants homes without a 48 hour notice. I think it's a bit strange, even if they were trying to be nice. It's a business arrangement, not a buddy system.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:10 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Maybe they should have called you. And maybe you should have given them a notice you were leaving. It's all about communications.

If you were gone for 3 days and they rang your doorbell and you didn't answer. They had a right to make sure things were ok.

Plus they put your package by the door. Not in the middle of your living room like they were snooping around.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Maybe it's just me, as I haven't rented in a while (but I am a landlord), but what's the deal with giving your LL notice if you go away for a few days?

Unless I lived with my LL, as in a 2-family home or a guest house, I would never expect my LL to expect me to inform him if I was going away for a long weekend or something. This is common?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Maybe it's just me, as I haven't rented in a while (but I am a landlord), but what's the deal with giving your LL notice if you go away for a few days?

Unless I lived with my LL, as in a 2-family home or a guest house, I would never expect my LL to expect me to inform him if I was going away for a long weekend or something. This is common?
I feel the same. That's rather odd as well. Notice you'll be gone a few days. They aren't their mom, it's just a rental and they pay for that privacy and independence. They aren't their roomies.

I would think it was odd if my tenant called me to let me know they were going somewhere on vacation for a week. Unless rent was due and or we had prior arrangements to meet during that time.

If their apartment doesn't offer a package service then they could always return it to the post office to be held with a note on the door or a letter at the office. What they did is strange and I'd be leery of that establishment.

Old 01-02-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Maybe they should have called you. And maybe you should have given them a notice you were leaving. It's all about communications.

If you were gone for 3 days and they rang your doorbell and you didn't answer. They had a right to make sure things were ok.

Plus they put your package by the door. Not in the middle of your living room like they were snooping around.
No, I don't think they have the right to know if you're ok after a few days away. People go out of town. It's just their apartment. They have no relationship that requires them to give notice every time they go away for a few days. They aren't related in anyway. A lot of people travel for business.

I would question a landlord that requires that intimate of a relationship with it's tenants. It's a bit creepy.

Old 01-02-2017, 06:15 PM

193 posts, read 169,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
No, I don't think they have the right to know if you're ok after a few days away. People go out of town. It's just their apartment. They have no relationship that requires them to give notice every time they go away for a few days. They aren't related in anyway. A lot of people travel for business.

I would question a landlord that requires that intimate of a relationship with it's tenants. It's a bit creepy.
Creepy? If I was gone for a few days and someone was nice enough to put the package away for me, I would be thankful.

And how did the landlord know they were gone for just a few days if the landlord wasn't notified?

Maybe he noticed it was just sitting there and rang the bell. Discovered they were gone and was nice enough to NOT CALL and BE A CREEP and just open the door to keep the package in a safe place.

Seeing how people overreact to every little thing. I would imagine had the landlord called. This thread would have a different title.

================
Creepy landlord was spying on me! Called me while I was on vacation! Help!

OMG! I was having a nice getaway from home for 3 days when my creepy landlord called to me to make sure I was ok since they saw a packages just sitting in my doorway for 3 days. What a creep! Should I sue?

I was having such and awesome vacation and they ruined it by calling me about a stupid package! What a creep! How did he get my number anyway? I need to change my phone number. Maybe I could sue since I have to pay a disconnection fee.

I mean, they have my keys. the NICE thing to do as a Landlord was to just leave the package near the entryway. Why even call? So annoying!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
I'll tell you why it matters. I have a pet. If someone opens the door and my pet runs out, I may never see her again.

Believe me, it matters.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:49 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
You mean a pet that you aren't supposed to have there?
If your lease allows you to have a pet then the landlord is aware of it when they enter.

To OP-I think the op should notified the landlords of expected package and what to do with it. When I expect a package to be delivered when I am gone, I notify the shipper to hold it until I know I will be back.
If your package is sitting there for 3 days outside while you are gone and gets stolen, will you be happier then?
I think that was nice of them to receive your package. It's not like they opened the door and walked around and set it in your bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting