Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 11,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
No work history and relocating for a first job. That job is unlikely to last, first jobs rarely do, and when that happens you are at a much higher chance of leaving the area back to wherever your parents are. That makes collecting money owed very difficult especially if we are talking out of state.

As a private LL I'd pass on you because the downside is too great but many apartment complexes would take you. A tip for students, get a job through the last year or two of college that way you have some work history. Working sucks so when you finally start working you will tend to job hop looking for a better environment before realizing that they all mostly suck.
I am not a student. Thank you. I do not plan to leave my job, and although I see where you are coming from, I do not feel this is likely for me. Is there no way that you would accept someone in my position? Or is there something someone like me could do to earn your trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:18 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayo View Post
I am not a student. Thank you. I do not plan to leave my job, and although I see where you are coming from, I do not feel this is likely for me. Is there no way that you would accept someone in my position? Or is there something someone like me could do to earn your trust?
I just assumed a 22 year old with zero work experience would be a recent graduate. Again I am a private LL so this is my opinion only and not the market at large, no. Knowing you haven't worked for the last 4 years after graduation just makes it worse so I'd leave the bit about it being your first job out if at all possible. Plenty of apartments are looking to fill vacancies so you will find something but what I'm looking for in tenants for my single family homes is stability which you lack.

Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
No work history and relocating for a first job. That job is unlikely to last, first jobs rarely do, and when that happens you are at a much higher chance of leaving the area back to wherever your parents are. That makes collecting money owed very difficult especially if we are talking out of state.

As a private LL I'd pass on you because the downside is too great but many apartment complexes would take you. A tip for students, get a job through the last year or two of college that way you have some work history. Working sucks so when you finally start working you will tend to job hop looking for a better environment before realizing that they all mostly suck.
I disagree that the first job is unlikely to last. Most college grads spend a lot of time, effort, and money getting that first job in their field and are unlikely to leave it.

To the OP, for some reason they do turn you down, which I think is unlikely, off a larger security deposit.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I just assumed a 22 year old with zero work experience would be a recent graduate. Again I am a private LL so this is my opinion only and not the market at large, no. Knowing you haven't worked for the last 4 years after graduation just makes it worse so I'd leave the bit about it being your first job out if at all possible. Plenty of apartments are looking to fill vacancies so you will find something but what I'm looking for in tenants for my single family homes is stability which you lack.
You misunderstand... I am no longer a student but I have recently graduated. It's annoying that people treat me as a student when I am a young professional looking to start a, responsible, adult life. I'm sorry to hear that you have such a sour taste for youngsters. Either way, Thank you for your input. Also, I have had a paid internship but I don't really think that effects anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I disagree that the first job is unlikely to last. Most college grads spend a lot of time, effort, and money getting that first job in their field and are unlikely to leave it.

To the OP, for some reason they do turn you down, which I think is unlikely, off a larger security deposit.
Thank you! I'll do just that then.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,984 times
Quote:

AZ Manager, you sound pretty cynical about the world. I believe that every job is what you make of it and I think working is enjoyable. I'm grateful to do it every day, and I believe strongly in offering loyalty and stability to an employer in an age where many people don't. Rental situations change, but I take every rental arrangement I've had extremely seriously and fulfill my obligations. I was transferred while I was in a lease in my first apartment and I mailed them a check every month, from out of state, without fail. I was 23 years old and it wasn't hard to collect money from me, nor did I have a co-signer.

OP, good luck to you and what an exciting time in your life! You sound very responsible. I would send the complex a thank-you note but I wouldn't necessarily offer anything to them that they didn't ask for. I think the fact that they didn't ask you for more shows that they feel good about you. The $1,000 per month rent is the upper limit of the general rule that rent should be no more than 30% of your income.

I'd be happy to give you more advice but rental markets vary in how strict they are and you didn't say where you were moving. If you are nervous and look at more places (depending on the market you're in) you could put together something called a "rental resume" that shows your credit score, employment info, income, references, what kind of apartment you want, and what you're like as a tenant.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonpixie View Post
AZ Manager, you sound pretty cynical about the world. I believe that every job is what you make of it and I think working is enjoyable. I'm grateful to do it every day, and I believe strongly in offering loyalty and stability to an employer in an age where many people don't. Rental situations change, but I take every rental arrangement I've had extremely seriously and fulfill my obligations. I was transferred while I was in a lease in my first apartment and I mailed them a check every month, from out of state, without fail. I was 23 years old and it wasn't hard to collect money from me, nor did I have a co-signer.

OP, good luck to you and what an exciting time in your life! You sound very responsible. I would send the complex a thank-you note but I wouldn't necessarily offer anything to them that they didn't ask for. I think the fact that they didn't ask you for more shows that they feel good about you. The $1,000 per month rent is the upper limit of the general rule that rent should be no more than 30% of your income.

I'd be happy to give you more advice but rental markets vary in how strict they are and you didn't say where you were moving. If you are nervous and look at more places (depending on the market you're in) you could put together something called a "rental resume" that shows your credit score, employment info, income, references, what kind of apartment you want, and what you're like as a tenant.
Thank you so much for your feedback and positivity! I try to be as responsible as possible, to help bring more positive outlooks on people my age. I have never heard of a rental resume but I'll have to do more research on it. It sounds very helpful! I feel much better after reading everyone's comments here. I know that I'm not guaranteed the spot but I was feeling very anxious, as I need to move within a week or two before my job begins and I really like this particular apt.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:43 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:

BLS data puts median tenure of 20-24 year olds at 1.3 years which means half of everyone 20-24 change jobs in less than 1.3 years with 50.8% of them under 12 months. You can disagree all you want but the facts don't lie.

I don't think the BLS knows what median means since more than half, 50.8%, have been employed at their current job for less than 12 months. Pretty sure that puts the median at or below 12 months not 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayo View Post
You misunderstand... I am no longer a student but I have recently graduated. It's annoying that people treat me as a student when I am a young professional looking to start a, responsible, adult life. I'm sorry to hear that you have such a sour taste for youngsters. Either way, Thank you for your input. Also, I have had a paid internship but I don't really think that effects anything.

Thank you! I'll do just that then.
I didn't misunderstand originally and I didn't call you a student from the get go. I did however leave advice for current students so they don't wind up with problems and it looks like you followed that advice by getting an internship. Use that paid internship on your application since it shows some work history.

I am only 32 so your youngsters comment is nonsense. My job is to assess risk and make judgment calls based on that risk profile. Your risk profile is on the higher side because you are young and the young unemployment number is high and turnover is also high. That has nothing to do with you personally that is just the age group you fall in and you could become an outlier but how do I as a LL know that up front.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
BLS data puts median tenure of 20-24 year olds at 1.3 years which means half of everyone 20-24 change jobs in less than 1.3 years with 50.8% of them under 12 months. You can disagree all you want but the facts don't lie.

I don't think the BLS knows what median means since more than half, 50.8%, have been employed at their current job for less than 12 months. Pretty sure that puts the median at or below 12 months not 16.

I didn't misunderstand originally and I didn't call you a student from the get go. I did however leave advice for current students so they don't wind up with problems and it looks like you followed that advice by getting an internship. Use that paid internship on your application since it shows some work history.

I am only 32 so your youngsters comment is nonsense. My job is to assess risk and make judgment calls based on that risk profile. Your risk profile is on the higher side because you are young and the young unemployment number is high and turnover is also high. That has nothing to do with you personally that is just the age group you fall in and you could become an outlier but how do I as a LL know that up front.

You're entitled to your opinion, it's fine. For me personally, the lease would only be one year anyway so it's not like I am likely to change my job within that time EVEN by your statistics as I will not be staying there for 1.3 years. While they did not ask for any past employment records, I did provide them with my offer letter and explained I would be starting a NEW job. I did not say it was my first. Once again, thanks for your input.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
The problem with your statistic is that most 20-21 year olds are NOT college graduates that have just spent four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars getting an education to get professional jobs in their fields.

A busboy quits in three months? Sure. A chemical engineer? Probably not.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 PM

Quote:
The problem with your statistic is that most 20-21 year olds are NOT college graduates that have just spent four years and hundreds of thousands of dollars getting an education to get professional jobs in their fields.

A busboy quits in three months? Sure. A chemical engineer? Probably not.
Exactly what I have been thinking the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting