Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
If most people in your target market have not had a garage before, most won't even notice whether it has an opener or not. They might after a while but usually not up front. Actually, you can probably say the same for garages (they often don't appreciate the need for one). But if you have a larger family home for rent in a car oriented place with lots of newer homes, then of course it will be expected.

Garage doors and openers together form a pretty complex system that relies on many moving parts and needs to be aligned, balanced, lubricated, etc or it will fail. And there needs to be a lot of sensors and other safety related parts. Injuries from openers can be horrific and the industry recommends frequent inspections. Homeowners normally don't worry about this but if you're a landlord, it's wise to try to follow guidance or you could have liability issues. And, as mentioned, the remotes are lost, stop working due to interference batteries dying, etc. and you need to ensure that codes are changed when tenants change, etc.

Tenants are more likely to misuse things and sometimes ignore problem warning signs as long as things still work. And more injuries happen in rentals than non-rentals.

I'm not making a case for not having an opener as that's particular to what the market expects but just trying to help explain why a landlord may not want one if there isn't clear demand for one. You could argue that all machines in the home are complicated, need inspection and service, and could cause injury or damage. Yes, that's true but trying to exclude a clothes washer/dryer or a dishwasher doesn't work as well in the market. Kind of like a disposer (not sure if they are in fashion any longer) but they would jam, could be dangerous, subject to bad effects if misused, clog and cause clogs further along in pipes, etc. Might not be a big worry for a homeowner but they are bound to cause call-outs for a landlord. And most renters don't usually even notice if there is none.
Yep... as a property manager the best single decision I have made in 35 years was to stop furnishing free standing appliances... and disposers.

50% of my service calls eliminated with a large percentage being emergency calls nights, weekends, holidays.

I am required to provide heat and water heating... that is it as far as appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Of course, I would leave it at the end of the lease. That would not be a problem at all. If I'm renting, I just want a garage I can actually use. I'm a 5'3" woman. It would be difficult to hoist a heavy 6-8 ft garage door twice a day in all kinds of weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm female as well. When I was a child (under 5'3"), my mother used to have me get out of the car to open the garage door for her and I don't remember thinking it was particularly hard.

During inclement weather (hail/tornado warning), if my husband is at work I will put my car in the garage and I have zero problems with the door still. I give it a bit of a push and it rolls up the last couple of feet itself with very little effort on my part.

The hardest part is unlocking the old, finicky lock.

Which part of the country are you in?
I am 5'2" and have no issues opening and closing my old wooden garage door. I do have an opener on it, but the door tracks are getting finicky so it often has to be manually done. I haven't carried the opener with me in years. No big deal.

Glamatomic - my mom used to have us do the same thing! I got carsick so was almost always in the front seat and got door duty.

I consider it a convenience, not an improvement. And just something else to eventually fix.

Make it a workout! Think of it as a squat, pull and push. Alternate arms, or use both if you don't think they neighbors will laugh.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post
Wait, garages with openers are safer than ones without- because you have to have the opener to get into the garage.

I rented one home in college without an opener and NEVER parked in the garage- the landlord got a fine every month from the HOA because I was parked in the driveway, and she paid it knowing that I couldn't get into the garage. I swore i would never again rent from someone who couldn't provide basic convenience- no matter how nice the wood flooring or updated kitchen was.

They don't sell new homes without an opener, why would you rent one?
Sure they do...

There is a list of town homes recently built... the opener is an up-charge... the electrical outlet is not.

Openers are very easy to overcome... force, code catch and the easiest is key operated older ones... there was a crime wave awhile back where a common household cleaner was sprayed into the key switch and presto... the doors open.

I think you will be hard pressed to find openers stronger than two slide bolts with padlocks...

https://cdn3.volusion.com/9jon3.pys6...jpg?1491674809

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
FWIW, if an amenity (such as a fence or garage opener) does not already exist when the property is acquired, a LL is not going to add it to an investment property. Simply because it is something that requires additional maintenance, additional repairs, additional hassle while bringing in very little, if any, additional income.

I'm truly curious, OP - How much additional per month would you pay for this exact home if it already had a garage opener?
I've said this repeatedly. I would never request a fence. I will just pass on the house. For the garage door opener, I would arrange for professional installation and would leave it after the lease is over. Why should I pay more than what's on the lease?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
ALL houses come with garage door openers, dishwashers, and garbage disposals.

(me)
When was the last time you rented in San Francisco?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
I've said this repeatedly. I would never request a fence. I will just pass on the house. For the garage door opener, I would arrange for professional installation and would leave it after the lease is over. Why should I pay more than what's on the lease?
That is not what I'm asking.

I am asking - if this house had a garage opener installed before you moved in how much more per month would you pay to live there?

I am attempting to figure out how much value having a garage opener adds to an investment property.

You state that having a garage opener adds value but if your answer is "I would pay $0 more to live in this house if already had a garage opener" then having a garage opener adds no value to the property. Thus no incentive for the LL to install something that will require maintenance and repairs.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
That is not what I'm asking.

I am asking - if this house had a garage opener installed before you moved in how much more per month would you pay to live there?

I am attempting to figure out how much value having a garage opener adds to an investment property.

You state that having a garage opener adds value but if your answer is "I would pay $0 more to live in this house if already had a garage opener" then having a garage opener adds no value to the property. Thus no incentive for the LL to install something that will require maintenance and repairs.
If it's already installed, I'm going to pay the asking price if it is already within my rent range.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I don't think an owner will put a garage door opener in unless the market is asking for it. Why rent to someone asking for it if I can rent to others that don't ask for it. Now that I am saying this, most places around here have them already. I don't know of too many places built after the 90's that don't have them. In developments built after 2000 most have not only garage door openers but finished garages, meaning drywall on the walls and ceiling, texture coated, and painted. Even older homes owners have done that much to the garage. Today a garage is an extension of the home. Garages are becoming an extra room to hang out in and enjoy your ride. A close friend has a garage remodel company that installs custom features for the car enthusiast. Picture a car of your choice with a finished garage with car art on the walls, maybe a in garage bar, a TV on the wall, finished floor, lighting to enhance the space and show off the car or cars. Of course a garage door opener as well.

For a rental though, not sure that would happen.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
If it's already installed, I'm going to pay the asking price if it is already within my rent range.
House A - no garage opener is $1200 a month.

House B - exact same features as House A but has a garage opener is $1250 a month.

Would you choose House B over House A?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
........ garage door opener, I would arrange for professional installation and would leave it after the lease is over. Why should I pay more than what's on the lease?

Yeah, I guess you would leave it since you expect the landlord to pay for it. You aren't willing to pay more rent for it, so where is the benefit to the landlord?

You find a house you like, but want a garage door opener. The landlord tells you he will have one installed before you move in, if you will pay an additional $50 a month in rent. You apparently don't want to do that, so where is the benefit to the landlord to install a garage door opener that he then has to pay to keep repaired and serviced?

Quote:
.......It seems some owners can't deal with the idea that their properties aren't perfect as is.
That's not the issue. The issue is that you don't understand you are not going to find a rental that is "perfect" unless you are renting at the very top end of the rental pool. Honestly, no landlord cares that you can't open a garage door. No landlord is going to pay to install a garage door opener for you, especially since you aren't willing to pay an increased rent for the upgrade.

But ask. Maybe you can find a landlord who will let you pay to have one installed if you give up the idea that the landlord is going to pay you back and not charge you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting