Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 11:57 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
House A - no garage opener is $1200 a month.

House B - exact same features as House A but has a garage opener is $1250 a month.

Would you choose House B over House A?
House B since it is still within my $1500 range. However, that has to be the deal upfront. Not after the lease is signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 12:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You all keep talking about price. Do you seriously believe that every house that costs over $2k a month will automatically come with a fence or garage door opener. Price has nothing to do with it.

I'm not asking for any fancy upgrades. I'll pass if no fence and I'll ask about the garage door opener before getting installed.

It seems some owners can't deal with the idea that their properties aren't perfect as is.
There's no such thing as a perfect property. It either works for you or it doesn't. Even when you custom build a house, your needs will change over time or you'll find that once you live in it for awhile that something that looked amazing on paper really isn't functional for you in real life.

A garage with an opener and a fence ARE fancy upgrades when you're a RENTER. If you want those things, BUY your own house and have them installed!

Old 07-31-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Inland Empire, hmm. Let me know the last time you had to walk through a foot or two of snow to open your garage door!
Me? Every time it snows. We get snow here from roughly the end of October until early May. I live just outside of the snowiest city in America. I'm STILL alive!!!!!

Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
$300 sounds low. Ours was over $1000. $300 might be if they have a compatible door already.
There might be reasons the LL isn't interested. Some openers can be spoofed to open other doors. The tenants can lose them. Sometimes, you think you closed it but you didn't or you hit it without knowing and reopened it after you left. You have the ability to lock the LL out of the garage. The LL has to get back the openers when you leave and reprogram the code. Likewise, you can reprogram the code and cause them trouble.
The keypad on ours went bad and would have cost a lot to fix so we only used the remotes but if the LL wanted to fix, how can he know if you had anything to do with it?
Even if you paid for it, there's no way to know if it's a lemon and going to cause trouble the day after you move. Now, you've changed his garage door from a manual to an automatic that needs to be changed back, he needs to remove the unit, etc.
If the LL isn't willing to install it on his own, then there's no real reason to let you install an item that requires maintenance on his part.
I'm not going to lie, an automatic door is nice but I've lived with a regular door the majority of my life and it's not the worst thing. It's like an extra minute of work and at least you know that your door is closed.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:16 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
House B since it is still within my $1500 range. However, that has to be the deal upfront. Not after the lease is signed.
What's the difference? You basically just put a value of at least $50/month on it. To me that sounds like you should be willing to pay for it yourself upfront. If you sign a year lease and it really does cost $300 (I know it could be more), you'd be saving $300 by paying for it upfront if you're apparently willing to pay $50/month for it.

I don't really buy the arguments by others that it's just another thing to maintain though. If OP pays for it, the landlord could very easily not use it for the next tenant.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You would spend $600/year for the opener? Is it in a bad area? I could get out of the car once inside the garage and shut the door before the automatic one closes.
Then what happens if the system breaks within the lease? Will they guarantee to fix it? The cost of fixing the keypad was quite a lot and idr the cost of replacing the remotes.
I'm just saying that having the opener in month one doesn't mean it's going to be working in month 6 and it's not a reason to break lease since it's not a livability issue.
If you are going to get a place bc of the opener, be sure to get it in the lease that it will always be functional. I would also research the brand bc the cheaper ones will open others in the area.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
What's the difference? You basically just put a value of at least $50/month on it. To me that sounds like you should be willing to pay for it yourself upfront. If you sign a year lease and it really does cost $300 (I know it could be more), you'd be saving $300 by paying for it upfront if you're apparently willing to pay $50/month for it.

I don't really buy the arguments by others that it's just another thing to maintain though. If OP pays for it, the landlord could very easily not use it for the next tenant.
It depends on the type of garage door he currently has. Some manual overhead doors aren't compatible with openers. I don't think I've seen a door with an opener that has a place where you put the key but regular overhead doors do.
I'm not an expert so I could be wrong but if I'm not and he has to get a different door then it does pose a bigger issue than just not letting the next tenant use it. Now, the tenant would have to go through the service door and open garage from inside.
I guess all you can do is ask. I wouldn't offer to pay or up the rent, I'd wait for the answer and then try to negotiate.
Like another poster said, there could be a reason. The garage might not have enough electric capacity, it could cause taxes to go up if it's assessed as an improvement, etc.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:34 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
The whole thread over-reaction is a laffer....

The lady wants a fence and a garage door opener and ranted mildly.
And, people want to belittle her and run her into the ground for it, with no knowledge of the situation.

My wife always parks in the garage. I make absolutely certain she has an operable garage door opener.
She is petite and somewhat vulnerable. We live in a really great area, but it only takes one instance of a drifter coming through to ruin your life.
She has the safety of driving into the garage, closing the door behind her before she gets out of the car, and in bad weather the bonus of not getting soaked.
I respect the OP's request, because it is our choice and lifestyle.

In a modern home that is planned for an opener with electric and a light door, $300 purchase and install is about right from a Lowes Home Center or a Home Depot, or even Sears if they still do that.
$400 easily does it.

And, if I rented a modern house with that easy, basic installation and price, I would do it in a heartbeat without reservation. Maybe without permission.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The whole thread over-reaction is a laffer....

In a modern home that is planned for an opener with electric and a light door, $300 purchase and install is about right from a Lowes Home Center or a Home Depot, or even Sears if they still do that.
$400 easily does it.

And, if I rented a modern house with that easy, basic installation and price, I would do it in a heartbeat without reservation. Maybe without permission.
Wow, you would rent a house without an opener and then possibly install an opener without permission from the property owner? That sounds quite unethical. I hope that attitude doesn't carry over into Article 14 charges in regards to your vocation. Sheesh!

In case any renter reading Mike's post is considering acting the same way, that is an excellent way to get an eviction on your record. Don't do it.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Wow, you would rent a house without an opener and then possibly install an opener without permission from the property owner? That sounds quite unethical. I hope that attitude doesn't carry over into Article 14 charges in regards to your vocation. Sheesh!

In case any renter reading Mike's post is considering acting the same way, that is an excellent way to get an eviction on your record. Don't do it.
Depending on one's lease, they may lose their entire security deposit, be sued for the changes, or be evicted. Forget a reference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting