Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 06:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,532,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
I agree with all of this. It's the free market at work. If a fence and garage door opener were standard at a given rent amount, OP should have no trouble finding a place with them. The fact that she's coming here to ask why no one seems to offer these at her desired rent level suggests to me that she needs to raise the price range or accept that the preferred price doesn't include these features just as it may not include stainless steel appliances that someone else may deem necessary. Or, maybe OP can give up other things on her wish list in order to get high priority features, though if other tenants don't have similar priorities, there may not be many landlords/ladies offering the particular combination she wants.
My rent range is $1000-$1500. I still don't see a lot of fences at higher rents. Like I said, I'll do the foot work to get the garage door opener installed.

I'm having such a hard time finding a rental, I dread the time when I'm ready to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 06:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,071,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My rent range is $1000-$1500. I still don't see a lot of fences at higher rents. Like I said, I'll do the foot work to get the garage door opener installed.

I'm having such a hard time finding a rental, I dread the time when I'm ready to buy.
Depends on the market of course, but I haven't seen houses for rent at those prices in decades.

If you are going to be a perfectionist when searching for a house to purchase you are going to make yourself miserable. No house has everything you want. The advantage to owning a house is that you can make changes in order to get it the way you want.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,743,764 times
Quote:

The beauty of owning is your are much more able to customize to your tastes... just be careful if you buy in an HOA or even some cities.

Here, the city dictates if you can remove a tree you planted and no longer want and the permit is something like $250

The best openers are the light commercial models.. generally they have a one piece track and more robust on components... a light guage metal sectional door should not be taxing... some of the custom panel doors can get quite heavy...

Costco sometimes has decent Door Opener Deals... I have installed a few for the elderly neighbors and my Grandmother who was still driving into her 90's... did it for a Mother's Day present... at first she didn't want it but came to like it... especially having a light come on when motion detected... thought that was great.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Depends on the market of course, but I haven't seen houses for rent at those prices in decades.

If you are going to be a perfectionist when searching for a house to purchase you are going to make yourself miserable. No house has everything you want. The advantage to owning a house is that you can make changes in order to get it the way you want.
In my area, those rates are pretty average for a mid-range rental house. Similar to a small apartment. I don't get how a fence or garage opener is seeking perfection.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,743,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

One bedroom apartments with no off street parking can easily run $2,000 here... all real estate is local.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,294,529 times
Quote:
In my area, those rates are pretty average for a mid-range rental house. Similar to a small apartment. I don't get how a fence or garage opener is seeking perfection.
Well... rental homes have a kind of standard. If you are having a problem finding a fence and a garage door opener in your price range, then maybe you need to up your price. Maybe by going higher those amenities will be there. And, as discussed in another thread, some places are fence places, some places aren't. Where I grew up, people didn't have fences...no one had fences. Where I live now, everyone has fences.

And it's like this in purchasing. You pick an area, and start looking. And you'll find that pretty much, the housing stock was all built around the same time, and all pretty much has the same footprint or three, and all you can find are three beds and one bath, because that's what they built and the owners haven't made a second bath...and you have to have a second bath... and your agent says go up 10 grand and I can get you a second bath...

That's real estate.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:59 AM

Higher rents don't always equate to more basic features like garage door openers. Little things like this will get overlooked. I don't care about number of bedrooms or bathrooms. I can get those in any multi-unit apartment building. The benefit of renting a single family home is getting things like a personal garage or a yard. I just want to be able to actually use them.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:22 AM

43,361 posts, read 77,251,084 times
Quote:
Higher rents don't always equate to more basic features like garage door openers. Little things like this will get overlooked. I don't care about number of bedrooms or bathrooms. I can get those in any multi-unit apartment building. The benefit of renting a single family home is getting things like a personal garage or a yard. I just want to be able to actually use them.
I would want a garage door opener.
Agreed. And, I am quite adequately fit to get out of the car in a driving rainstorm and/or at night to lift any well-maintained garage door.
But, in your case, if the market dictates that the landlord can fill the property easily at desired price and not offer one, why would they offer one?

For $300, that is $25/month over 12 months, or $12.50/month over 2 years. Drop in the bucket on $1000--$1500 rent.
I would have one installed at my cost, if a rental had most of other things I was looking for. Maybe even ask permission first....

A fence?
Again, market specific. There is little payback to a landlord for a fence, unless everyone else has a fence.
I would not plan to invest in a fence without good, profitable cause.
I see it as an invitation for people to have dogs, and I would likely not permit pets in most rentals unless the market softened and I had to compromise to get a tenant.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,185,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
........ but it's still better to have a garage with an opener as opposed to one without an opener. If $300 is accurate, I think that seems like a decent ROI.
$300 is not accurate unless the garage is already fitted put to accommodate a garage door opener. Otherwise, it isn't just the opener and the installer for the opener, but it also involves a licensed electrician to do the wiring and switches for the opener. There has to be an electrical plug in the middle of the ceiling and that won't be there if the garage was not built to have an opener.

Even if the garage is already wired, I doubt that you can get a halfway decent opener installed for $300 including all the labor, not if the opener is better quality than worthless light weight junk and it is installed correctly.

Installing an opener might even require changing the entire garage door. Not ever door is compatible to a garage door opener.

I get slightly more rent for a place with a garage. I do not get so much as a penny more if there is a garage door opener and the opener causes maintenance calls-- like the one this spring where the tenant had pushed the "lock" button on the controls and was insisting that the opener had to be replaced with a brand new one. It might be relatively cheap for me to drive over there and push the "unlock" button, but it is a nuisance.

OP might be the only person in the entire country who can not use a garage if there is no opener. Most people can figure out how to open a garage door. My tenants all use the garage for storage and not for their cars, anyway.

There is no reason to have a fence and all the maintenance that a fence requires if the landlord doesn't allow pets. Many landlords don't want pets.

I tend to reject applicants who want expensive changes, upgrades. decorating before they will move in. Too entitled for me; they are likely to be difficult and demanding tenants. If I don't spend a bunch of money to upgrade to their tastes, there are 100 other applicants waiting right behind them who will take the house just like it is and be glad to get it.

If OP can't find all the amenities that she wants at that price range, maybe she needs to up the budget and pay for a house that already has those features. And no, OP, no landlord is going to think it is a great deal to have to pay for a garage door opener just to get you for their tenant.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 AM

You all keep talking about price. Do you seriously believe that every house that costs over $2k a month will automatically come with a fence or garage door opener. Price has nothing to do with it.

I'm not asking for any fancy upgrades. I'll pass if no fence and I'll ask about the garage door opener before getting installed.

It seems some owners can't deal with the idea that their properties aren't perfect as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting