Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 08:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I just really feel for those tenants who will have to move... This is Silicon Valley, the county where the Apple campus is, and Google. Housing is so expensive here now because of the demand, I can't imagine anyone who qualifies for Section 8 being able to afford to pay the difference even between a 1 and 2 bedroom apartment.
Some people are irrational - they live in poverty in Silicon Valley instead of moving a hundred miles away where rent is much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This also explains why the county housing authority had to make this change - it's just too expensive to subsidize rents in this market.

Just crazy. And moving is so expensive. There must be some really scared, stressed out people out there tonight, in my county, who got this letter.
The county housing authority should offer bus tickets and 2 months of all-expenses-paid in a motel for those willing to leave Silicon Valley permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
Its so judgemental of people to assume all section8 people are bad and trashy.
Being judgemental is a good thing.

Everyone in the business world must make dozens of judgements every day. Having good judgment is one of the things that helps a businesswoman offer products and services that her customers wish to purchase, thereby allowing her to meet her payroll & keep employees employed.

Good judgment is one of the skills that helps people stay in a good relationship or leave a bad one -- or not enter into a bad one in the first place.

Good judgment is one of the skills that helps a woman decide not to go into a dark alley at night in a sketchy urban environment, thereby avoiding a mugging, rape, or worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
They just need help!
No. They want help. There is a difference.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Being judgemental is a good thing.

Everyone in the business world must make dozens of judgements every day. Having good judgment is one of the things that helps a businesswoman offer products and services that her customers wish to purchase, thereby allowing her to meet her payroll & keep employees employed.

Good judgment is one of the skills that helps people stay in a good relationship or leave a bad one -- or not enter into a bad one in the first place.

Good judgment is one of the skills that helps a woman decide not to go into a dark alley at night in a sketchy urban environment, thereby avoiding a mugging, rape, or worse.

No. They want help. There is a difference.
Having good judgement is not being judgmental.( having or displaying an excessively critical point of view.)

Old 05-01-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Having good judgement is not being judgmental.( having or displaying an excessively critical point of view.)
Being judgmental is not always "having or displaying an excessively critical point of view."

Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Being judgmental is not always "having or displaying an excessively critical point of view."
That's one meaning that is not the current understood meaning. Being judgmental has negative associations with it. No one ever compliments someone for being judgmental.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM

32,635 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
1-2 out of 100? So 98-99% of these types of tenants just don’t care and treat the place like a dump? Sorry, not buying it.
I don't know what the actual percentage is of Section 8 tenants who are bad tenants, but there are landlords all over this country who have had experiences so horrible with Section 8 tenants that they will not accept any Section 8 tenants. As bad as the experiences are with Section 8 tenants, the dealings with housing authorities, again all over the USA, have been even worse.

There is a reason why so many landlords will not take Section 8 tenants. There has been too much collective experience that the Section 8 tenants are difficult, destructive, entitled, and know how to game the system.

I'd be happy to accept a Section 8 tenant. All they have to do is to pass the reasonable screening process that all my tenants have passed. But so far none of them has passed. I get two types of Section 8 tenants applying, divided pretty close to 50/50. I get welfare frauds or I get filthy dirty stinky people with a history of being destructive and sneaking in their homeless friends and drug dealing boyfriend. My personal experience is that 100% of Section 8 tenants are bad (but I am sure there are some decent ones somewhere that are deserving of help they just haven't ever applied to rent from me)

All of you who feel that Section 8 tenants are wonderful deserving people and that it is this great program where your rent is guaranteed, go ahead and buy yourself a nice big apartment building, fill it up with deserving Section 8 tenants, get all your lovely guaranteed income, and come back in 5 years and let us know how well it has worked for you. Just don't mistakenly think you are going to guilt experienced landlords into providing your pet social programs for you out of their own pockets. When you are ready to pay for your own beliefs out of your own pocket, then we will see how it works for you.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:20 AM

453 posts, read 410,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what the actual percentage is of Section 8 tenants who are bad tenants, but there are landlords all over this country who have had experiences so horrible with Section 8 tenants that they will not accept any Section 8 tenants. As bad as the experiences are with Section 8 tenants, the dealings with housing authorities, again all over the USA, have been even worse.

There is a reason why so many landlords will not take Section 8 tenants. There has been too much collective experience that the Section 8 tenants are difficult, destructive, entitled, and know how to game the system.

I'd be happy to accept a Section 8 tenant. All they have to do is to pass the reasonable screening process that all my tenants have passed. But so far none of them has passed. I get two types of Section 8 tenants applying, divided pretty close to 50/50. I get welfare frauds or I get filthy dirty stinky people with a history of being destructive and sneaking in their homeless friends and drug dealing boyfriend. My personal experience is that 100% of Section 8 tenants are bad (but I am sure there are some decent ones somewhere that are deserving of help they just haven't ever applied to rent from me)

All of you who feel that Section 8 tenants are wonderful deserving people and that it is this great program where your rent is guaranteed, go ahead and buy yourself a nice big apartment building, fill it up with deserving Section 8 tenants, get all your lovely guaranteed income, and come back in 5 years and let us know how well it has worked for you. Just don't mistakenly think you are going to guilt experienced landlords into providing your pet social programs for you out of their own pockets. When you are ready to pay for your own beliefs out of your own pocket, then we will see how it works for you.
Eh, seems like the goalposts are shifting. Nobody here has once argued that there are not problem section 8 tenants. Of course you’re going to hear all the horror stories, especially on this forum. Someone is more likely to post how bad it is here vs how it’s been fine because the latter does not fit the narrative.

Nobody is forcing you to rent to section 8. However, the numbers that people throw out here like 98-99% are bad people or tenants deserve to be challenged.

At the end of the day, these folks can be vetted and subject to the same guidelines as other applicants. How do LL end up with so many horrible tenants if they are doing adequate background checks?

Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM

24,608 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
One thing about credit scores...

It takes effort to have a lousy score with pages of charge offs...

I have rented to those with no or little credit and a "Clean" record...

On the other hand, if someone in their 20's or 30's comes to you with pages of charge offs... why would you want to be added to that list.
Coming across this post amazes me , people in their 20s and 30s with pages of charge off should not be rewarded with section 8 vouchers.

It's crazy to think there are real people like this who exist. I guess when folks are happy with welfare/handouts, there's no incentive to take care of their credit to actually get something nice for themselves one day.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
That's one meaning that is not the current understood meaning. Being judgmental has negative associations with it. No one ever compliments someone for being judgmental.
Incorrect.

Do you think writing in all-bold somehow adds weight to your argument? Why not write in all-caps as well?

Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Incorrect.

Do you think writing in all-bold somehow adds weight to your argument? Why not write in all-caps as well?
Says the person who posted a huge definition with a huge green stripe. I bet people tell you that you are judgmental all the time, and they are not complementing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting