Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 04:39 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,758,737 times

Advertisements

I was told by another tenant that if you live on the basement or first floor of a three story building, it has to be 40 degrees outside for the heat to come on in your apartment. Right now it's 43 outside and the heat is not coming on in my 1st floor apartment. Just checked the weather for my area and it will not drop to 40 degrees at all this evening. Looks like the temp will be in the mid 40's the rest of the evening and the high tomorrow will be 53. Now I am just going by what another tenant said who lives in the basement of the building. So just wanted to know has anyone heard this before in regards to first floor and basement apartments when it comes to the heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:47 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,073 times
Never ever.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:33 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,500,022 times
Every city has a health department rule about ambiant temperature in occupied dwellings. Typically it is 60 degrees or more.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,546,743 times
Get a space heater. I have control of the baseboards in my apartment, but they are always along the walls where I need to put furniture, so I can't use them anyway. When it gets too chilly, I use a small space heater in the room I'm in, and I have a heated mattress pad on the bed.

If you're somewhere that freezes, run the water slightly, so the pipes won't freeze.

At any rate, I would never let my landlord decide what temperature is comfortable for me. If your landlord should be providing heat, call your landlord. And still buy a space heater, is my advice. You'll only be out around $20 for a small one, maybe less.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
I'm in a rooming house, the common areas are cold, but every room has a wall-mounted space heater which, obviously, can be individually used and adjusted to suit, so nobody has to be too cold or too hot, except in the bathroom.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Get a space heater. I have control of the baseboards in my apartment, but they are always along the walls where I need to put furniture, so I can't use them anyway. When it gets too chilly, I use a small space heater in the room I'm in, and I have a heated mattress pad on the bed.

If you're somewhere that freezes, run the water slightly, so the pipes won't freeze.

At any rate, I would never let my landlord decide what temperature is comfortable for me. If your landlord should be providing heat, call your landlord. And still buy a space heater, is my advice. You'll only be out around $20 for a small one, maybe less.
The rental office provided the space heater but won't that run up the electric bill? Plus I don't want to use a space heater if I have company because that would be kind of tacky. The space heater should only be used if it's just me not if I have a visitor.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,713,406 times
Just call your LL and find out why the heat isn't on. Why are you depending on other tenants to get the actual info? And, what does your lease state regarding supplied heat?

It appears you are getting wrong or confusing info from the other tenant(s). It sounds like they might be confusing what they think the LL's heating process is with what your city/state heating requirements are.

This topic is sounding familiar. Didn't you post and ask about this before?

ETA: You DID ask about this before. Why start a new thread?
It seems like every year regardless of where I live the landlord/realty company takes their time turning on the heat

Old 11-07-2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Just call your LL and find out why the heat isn't on. Why are you depending on other tenants to get the actual info? And, what does your lease state regarding supplied heat?

It appears you are getting wrong or confusing info from the other tenant(s). It sounds like they might be confusing what they think the LL's heating process is with what your city/state heating requirements are.

This topic is sounding familiar. Didn't you post and ask about this before?

ETA: You DID ask about this before. Why start a new thread?
It seems like every year regardless of where I live the landlord/realty company takes their time turning on the heat

Maintenance came through tonight and will be back tomorrow morning to address the heat situation. The guy explained that it's something they need to do with the pipes. He also said the heat is supposed to be on when the temperature is 60 degrees outside not 40 degrees.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,065,579 times
The bathroom in my apartment doesn't have a vent and during the coldest months it averages around 50 degrees in there. The majority of other units have the vent in the bathroom, it's just a handful of us who have to take baths/showers in a cold room.

We're not allowed (per our lease) to use space heaters, but tough noogies, I use one in the bathroom. There is no way I'll be that cold while bathing.

I brought up the issue to management and received the standard deer-in-the-headlights.

So why not move to another unit? Easy: the rent. To save $300+/month I'll use the space heater.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The bathroom in my apartment doesn't have a vent and during the coldest months it averages around 50 degrees in there. The majority of other units have the vent in the bathroom, it's just a handful of us who have to take baths/showers in a cold room.

We're not allowed (per our lease) to use space heaters, but tough noogies, I use one in the bathroom. There is no way I'll be that cold while bathing.

I brought up the issue to management and received the standard deer-in-the-headlights.

So why not move to another unit? Easy: the rent. To save $300+/month I'll use the space heater.

The last building I lived in had that rule about no space heaters and I definitely wasn't going to freeze to death if the heat wasn't on inside the apartment. I do understand the rule because some people don't realize you are not supposed to use a space heater when you go to sleep. So you don't have hot water to warm up the bathroom when it's cold and you are about to take a shower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting