Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 08:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The last building I lived in had that rule about no space heaters and I definitely wasn't going to freeze to death if the heat wasn't on inside the apartment. I do understand the rule because some people don't realize you are not supposed to use a space heater when you go to sleep. So you don't have hot water to warm up the bathroom when it's cold and you are about to take a shower?
No, the warm water in the shower has no affect on the rest of the room.

Before getting into the shower the room is cold, while standing in the tub taking a shower the air right around me feels okay, but when the shower is turned off and the shower curtain pulled aside, the air in the room is very cold (hardly any insulation and since the walls of the bathroom are the "outside" walls of the apartment the cold air is always there).

You can place your hand against the wall and it's very cold. In the hot summer months, the outside wall is very hot. All is fine May - Sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
Quote:
Maintenance came through tonight and will be back tomorrow morning to address the heat situation. The guy explained that it's something they need to do with the pipes. He also said the heat is supposed to be on when the temperature is 60 degrees outside not 40 degrees.
Personally I'd have a problem with the heat coming on when it's 60 degrees outside. Too warm for the heat IMO.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:45 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Personally I'd have a problem with the heat coming on when it's 60 degrees outside. Too warm for the heat IMO.
We have the option to turn the heat off in our apartment if it was too warm outside. Years ago i didnt have that option and had to open the windows once the heat came on if the temp was too high outside.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:30 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
We have the option to turn the heat off in our apartment if it was too warm outside. Years ago i didnt have that option and had to open the windows once the heat came on if the temp was too high outside.
Yeah, the older the building especially they won't be totally consistent with heat, especially an old boiler system. I remember not so much it being too hot, but the dryness. I would get out of the shower and throw my wet towl on the radiator to get some moisture in the air. Some units would never get much above 70 no matter what, some you could turn everything off and still need to open the windows.

OP, if you're having company over, and presumable entertaining, then not only will cooking heat the unit, but just one or two more bodies will as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting