Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 04:25 PM

304 posts, read 295,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You know what? It's none of your business and unless OP has applied to rent from you or OP is bringing the service animal into your grocery store or restaurant, you don't get to ask. The law does not allow nosey bystanders to pry into people's private health issues.
I'm not really sure that the law has anything to say on random passersby asking what services the dog performs. I can't imagine the law doing something like charging 5-year-old Johnny for asking what the cute service dog does. Most times I don't want to talk to people when I'm in public so I'll just smile and say "he does a lot of things!" I have cards somewhere that lists a couple tasks that in the past I handed out when asked by stores. I think people can be genuinely curious about what he does, especially if one's disability isn't always immediately visible.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
Turns out leaving the dog behind was the right move. It eliminated the potential discrimination right off the bat. Mentioned I was disabled and that I had a service dog after approval, was asked what tasks my dog performs, manager didn't even blink or make comment, just moved right along. Stopped me as I was walking away to ask about the breed as she said she wasn't sure if she needed to include it in the paperwork.

So for those with a service dog and who are able to be separated from your team for about 15-30 minutes and you need a rental, leave the dog behind. Much, much easier and less likely to face discrimination.

Now off to start reporting all those slumlords in this area. This is going to become my mission. I've been a pushover for way to long because I never wanted to stir the pot or cause anyone discomfort. Not anymore!
You leave a service animal at home? Or in a car for a half an hour?

Old 12-26-2017, 04:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
I'm not really sure that the law has anything to say on random passersby asking what services the dog performs. I can't imagine the law doing something like charging 5-year-old Johnny for asking what the cute service dog does. Most times I don't want to talk to people when I'm in public so I'll just smile and say "he does a lot of things!" I have cards somewhere that lists a couple tasks that in the past I handed out when asked by stores. I think people can be genuinely curious about what he does, especially if one's disability isn't always immediately visible.
Oh yeah. From what you say, you have a truly talented and devoted dog there. Of course people are curious - that's because they're a bit envious! They love their good old Spot, but the millionth time he chews the carpet, they're wondering why they can't get him to stop doing that, when you can get your dog to be such a useful and reliable companion.

Old 12-26-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You leave a service animal at home? Or in a car for a half an hour?
I've done both. I'm not required to take him with me 100% of the time and where the law allows and where it's safe I've left him in the car for short periods.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:19 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You know what? It's none of your business and unless OP has applied to rent from you or OP is bringing the service animal into your grocery store or restaurant, you don't get to ask. The law does not allow nosey bystanders to pry into people's private health issues.
?! The law does not prevent anyone from asking another person a question.
The one being questioned can either answer the questions or tell the person to mind their own business.

----------------------------------------

raisins99... If a place specifically says "no animals" why would you want to live there? The other tenants want to live in a building with no animals. Or they wish they COULD have animals but don't get to have one yet here you are with your animal. service dog/pet it won't really make much difference. That's just unnecessary to look for a place that specifically has a "no animal" policy. It's like you are just looking for trouble, whether you are or not, that is what the perception is and will be. It's a really bad idea, and if I were a landlord I would not want someone with that kind of an attitude living in my building. It would tell me you are just looking for trouble.

Just seek out those places that ALLOW animals in the first place. If you can't find any, perhaps you would have better luck in a different location? Some areas are more animal friendly than others. I know where I am in Virginia, I don't think you would have any trouble at all finding a place.

Again, I do wish you the best of luck. I just hope you re-think your approach, to make things easier for yourself. Forcing another person to do something they do not want to do in the first place, just because the law may happen to be on your side in this situation just is NOT going to set you up for a good relationship with a future landlord. Do you know what I mean?

Peace to you...
Good luck.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
?! The law does not prevent anyone from asking another person a question.
The one being questioned can either answer the questions or tell the person to mind their own business.

----------------------------------------

raisins99... If a place specifically says "no animals" why would you want to live there? The other tenants want to live in a building with no animals. Or they wish they COULD have animals but don't get to have one yet here you are with your animal. service dog/pet it won't really make much difference. That's just unnecessary to look for a place that specifically has a "no animal" policy. It's like you are just looking for trouble, whether you are or not, that is what the perception is and will be. It's a really bad idea, and if I were a landlord I would not want someone with that kind of an attitude living in my building. It would tell me you are just looking for trouble.

Just seek out those places that ALLOW animals in the first place. If you can't find any, perhaps you would have better luck in a different location? Some areas are more animal friendly than others. I know where I am in Virginia, I don't think you would have any trouble at all finding a place.

Again, I do wish you the best of luck. I just hope you re-think your approach, to make things easier for yourself. Forcing another person to do something they do not want to do in the first place, just because the law may happen to be on your side in this situation just is NOT going to set you up for a good relationship with a future landlord. Do you know what I mean?

Peace to you...
Good luck.
Change every place you wrote dog or animal to wheelchair. Or insulin pump. Or crutches. Or hearing aid. Or any other medical equipment. "The other tenants want to live in a building with no wheelchairs." How do you feel about this statement? If it doesn't bother you, then you probably support the discrimination of disabled folks and nothing will change your mind. If it DOES bother you, then you probably are just having a hard time grasping the concept that a service dog, while a living creature, is actually medical equipment akin to a wheelchair.

Yes, I get that having a good relationship with a landlord is ideal. But at the end of the day, I don't care about being friendly with the landlord so long as we're both following the applicable rules and laws that govern our relationship. I'm not looking for trouble simply by needing a safe affordable place to live. I'm doing what everyone else is doing. I just happen to be disabled and require the use of specialized medical equipment in order to live.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:52 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Honesty is the best policy.
Once rented to a person who claimed he was between jobs. Lied. He was disabled.
No problem until he tried having home entry stair case wheel chair enabled. Gave me grief.
City finally said that it is not physically possible without creating structural problems. Bottom line.
He moved.

Lies have consequences.
It is possible that the building you may end up with if not up front and honest is not disabled person l
or service dog friendly.
I happen to love all animals and it would not be fair to the dog if there were many stairs to climb etc..
Being upfront is the best policy. It will make it easier to find the home you are looking for and not wasting
anybody's time especially your own. It may take a little longer but when it is finally over you can probably
call it home for good.

God Bless . Keep the Faith. Good Luck.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-26-2017 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-26-2017, 06:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Because places that don't allow animals are generally in better shape.
Not necessarily. I have a cat, yet last year I scored a beautiful 2nd floor flat in a 2-family house. Cathedral ceiling and 3 windows across the front in the living room, huge kitchen and bathroom, and a 2nd cable jack in the bedroom. My landlord and his wife live on the 1st floor. We're on a quiet side street. I couldn't ask for a better place to live.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:20 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
I've done both. I'm not required to take him with me 100% of the time and where the law allows and where it's safe I've left him in the car for short periods.
Sounds like a PET! My SD is with me 100% of the time. She is trained to Help me & I never know or can Plan when I need help....so she right there by my side 24/7. IF you can leave the dog in a car & go shopping or whatever then its Just a PET!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like a PET! My SD is with me 100% of the time. She is trained to Help me & I never know or can Plan when I need help....so she right there by my side 24/7. IF you can leave the dog in a car & go shopping or whatever then its Just a PET!
SMH.

Did you know that before a blind person is given a seeing eye dog, they must demonstrate that they can travel independently using just the white cane?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting