Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 02:02 AM

472 posts, read 348,321 times

Advertisements

My last landlord who thankfully sold our complex! We have a new landlord who is more personable and caring. Some or even many landlords on here are only about getting a monthly check from tenants. My brother has one now where he broke the lease because the landlord was a slumlord. Why are most landlords angry and lazy? At least now I have a new landlord that isn’t angry , weird or grouchy. Many of the landlords on this forum seem Angry, want to put all faults on tenants, and complain about work they have to di
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 02:04 AM

472 posts, read 348,321 times
[quote=Educator1982;53671841]My last landlord who thankfully sold our complex! We have a new landlord who is more personable and caring. Some or even many landlords on here are only about getting a monthly check from tenants. My brother has one now where he broke the lease because the landlord was a slumlord. Why are most landlords angry and lazy? At least now I have a new landlord that isn’t angry , weird or grouchy. Many of the landlords on this forum seem Angry, want to put all faults on tenants, and complain about work they have to do. If they didn’t want to do actual work then why are they landlords /QUOTE]

Old 11-18-2018, 04:08 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Why are many landlords so bitter?
Personality disorders aside (these folks are bitter about everything)...
there are a LOT of people who became LL's without due consideration or research.

It isn't until they're actually in it that they discover their errors -- all of which have cost them some money.
It's convenient to then blame all the problems they have on their tenants.

At the other end... the LL's who have exercised due consideration or research...
will tend to get your complaints about their high standards on tenant applications and high rent rates.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
My last landlord who thankfully sold our complex! We have a new landlord who is more personable and caring. Some or even many landlords on here are only about getting a monthly check from tenants. My brother has one now where he broke the lease because the landlord was a slumlord. Why are most landlords angry and lazy? At least now I have a new landlord that isn’t angry , weird or grouchy. Many of the landlords on this forum seem Angry, want to put all faults on tenants, and complain about work they have to di
Oh..... The stories landlords and property managers can tell!!!!
Too many tenants were put on this earth to foment that "bitterness."
Too often, massive destruction of the asset that is entrusted to the tenant becomes the landlord experience that makes them seem unreasonable.

Yes, many people should not be landlords, thinking it is easy to be profitable.
And too many tenants work very hard to make good landlords very careful.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
A lot of landlords seem to want to collect the money but not do the work.
Best day of my life was in 2002 when I purchased my house. It eliminated a major PITA from my life - never to be dealt with again.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
Well, let's see. Shall I start with the tenants who vandalized a lovingly newly restored unit with antisemitic symbols and feces because they resented having been evicted after having not paid rent in months, and having dealt drugs out of the unit? The many tenants who have lied, stolen, dealt drugs, prostituted their children out of our units? Caused fire damage to our building when the uninsured project car they were working on in the driveway (against the terms of the lease) caught fire in the driveway and nearly burnt the house down, endangering all the residents of the building? The ones who have taken over common areas of the building as their own, locked out the LL, then called the health department over fake violations while denying us access to the areas they were complaining about? The ones who have blatantly lied in court, over and over, in eviction proceedings, every single one of which was based upon non-payment of rent? And I haven't even begun to list all the horror stories that we have encountered.

We treat our tenants well, we maintain our properties. But we have finally learned, well, at least I have, and I insist that my husband go along with it, that at the first sign of any problem from a tenant, if it involves late payment of rent, file the eviction for non-payment of rent. It is the only open and shut reason for eviction in our state, and we've learned the hard way that any tenant who tries to take an inch, will take a mile given the opportunity.

And yes, we would NEVER be tenants anywhere ever again, if we can possibly avoid it. We like having responsibility for and therefore control over our own living space.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:18 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well, let's see. Shall I start with the tenants who vandalized a lovingly newly restored unit with antisemitic symbols and feces because they resented having been evicted after having not paid rent in months, and having dealt drugs out of the unit? The many tenants who have lied, stolen, dealt drugs, prostituted their children out of our units? Caused fire damage to our building when the uninsured project car they were working on in the driveway (against the terms of the lease) caught fire in the driveway and nearly burnt the house down, endangering all the residents of the building? The ones who have taken over common areas of the building as their own, locked out the LL, then called the health department over fake violations while denying us access to the areas they were complaining about? The ones who have blatantly lied in court, over and over, in eviction proceedings, every single one of which was based upon non-payment of rent? And I haven't even begun to list all the horror stories that we have encountered.

We treat our tenants well, we maintain our properties. But we have finally learned, well, at least I have, and I insist that my husband go along with it, that at the first sign of any problem from a tenant, if it involves late payment of rent, file the eviction for non-payment of rent. It is the only open and shut reason for eviction in our state, and we've learned the hard way that any tenant who tries to take an inch, will take a mile given the opportunity.

And yes, we would NEVER be tenants anywhere ever again, if we can possibly avoid it. We like having responsibility for and therefore control over our own living space.
Exactly.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 AM

453 posts, read 411,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A lot of landlords seem to want to collect the money but not do the work.
Best day of my life was in 2002 when I purchased my house. It eliminated a major PITA from my life - never to be dealt with again.
Of course. Everyone wants their money, but when it comes time to shell out, nobody wants to do it.

I think the issue is, people are just generally less likely to repair and spend money on a place they don’t physically live, even if they own it. They bare minimum generally rules the day in most cases.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
After seeing what my partner has gone through, vetting prospective renters, only to have them trash perfectly fine properties I would never be a landlord. Even when he tried to work with tenants who would be months behind on their rent, they would avoid his calls and destroy the properties. And, this happened on multiple homes in different states. So many renters have no sense of personal responsibility. They think they should be able to live rent free or, go months being behind on the rent without consequences. We have gone into homes once they were evicted to find bullets in the walls, holes kicked in walls, an abandoned dog left in a fenced yard, filth beyond comprehension. These people do not deserve to live within 4 walls. They are unsocialozed animals. Why anyone would choose to be a landlord is beyond my comprehension.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:32 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Knock on wood, I’ve only had a couple of stings in 30 years of being a LL. I’m not bitter or angry. My tenants are generally ok, I’m always respectful. However, I have not had a non-paying tenant in a very long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting