Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:10 AM

68 posts, read 31,605 times

Advertisements

Skipto, she already told me that it is in the lease that I signed. So, even if I find that specific clause, what difference would that make? I'm still in the same position and owe $500.

Who reads the entire lease word by word when they are presented with it at the time of signing? That's what they are counting on.

Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
So your lease says that you need to give a 30 days notice that you will not be renewing nor going month-to-month?

They aren't charging you to move. They're charging you for October's rent or a prorated amount of October's rent. Give notice today, in writing, that you are vacating on xx/xx/xxxx. Read your lease, and find that clause and that will explain the $500 charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberteyewhy View Post
Skipto, she already told me that it is in the lease that I signed. So, even if I find that specific clause, what difference would that make? I'm still in the same position and owe $500.

Who reads the entire lease word by word when they are presented with it at the time of signing? That's what they are counting on.

Robert
When signing a legally binding contract, you should always take the time to read it and understand it. Who does? I do and many other people do. That way, we're not surprised when we're held to the terms of that contract.

If you've signed a new lease for a new apartment, read that lease now so you know what you've agreed to do.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
So your lease says that you need to give a 30 days notice that you will not be renewing nor going month-to-month?

They aren't charging you to move. They're charging you for October's rent or a prorated amount of October's rent. Give notice today, in writing, that you are vacating on xx/xx/xxxx. Read your lease, and find that clause and that will explain the $500 charge.

When signing a legally binding contract, you should always take the time to read it and understand it. Who does? I do and many other people do. That way, we're not surprised when we're held to the terms of that contract.

If you've signed a new lease for a new apartment, read that lease now so you know what you've agreed to do.
Yes.

I will give the notice today. What about the $500? Are you saying to give them the notice even though it's not within 30 days and just pay the $500? How should I give the notice? What proof would I have that I gave notice even though it was on Sep. 9th instead of the 1st? Would a signature from an office agent be sufficient?

No new apartment yet. But, you can be damn sure I will read it. Trust no one!

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by Roberteyewhy; 09-09-2019 at 07:12 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Yes.

I will give the notice today. What about the $500? Are you saying to give them the notice even though it's not within 30 days and just pay the $500? How should I give the notice? What proof would I have that I gave notice even though it was on Sep. 9th instead of the 1st? Would a signature from an office agent be sufficient?

Thanks,
Robert
Typically you would want to give notice in a written form. Email may be sufficient, but you're usually better off sending a certified letter. Is this your first time renting? A requirement of 30-60 days notice is pretty standard. Think about it from the LL perspective--they need to know if they need to make plans to re-rent your unit.

You are attempting to violate the terms of your lease. As you did not provide proper notice, the $500 is a lease break fee. You are going to be required to pay it if you move. If the complex will allow you to go month-to-month, your best option would probably be to stay through October. Even if your rent goes up $500, you'd still be breaking even, instead of paying the new apartment's rent and the $500 to the old complex.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:59 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Yes.

Thanks,
Robert
You'll have to ask your complex staff how they handle it because rules & laws will vary. You could try taking in two copies of your notice, have them sign both, and you take one with you when you leave. Or they could make a copy of the original signed copy for you to have. You could mail it requiring a proof of delivery (although that could take a couple days to get to them).

You need to find out exactly what the $500 charge is for.....is it prorated rent for 9 days of October? Is it a full month's rent for October? Is it a break lease fee? Your lease should explain this - it's likely located in the clause that addresses the termination of the lease. If you can't find it, ask the person in the office, if they don't know, ask to speak to someone who does and can explain it to you.

If you're inclined to do so, you could share photos (with personal information blacked out) of your lease or type, verbatim, what it says for giving notice, terminating the lease, vacating, renewal (those are some keywords to look for).

Either way, I suspect that since you whiffed on giving notice by September 1st, you'll have to pay it.

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-09-2019 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-09-2019, 08:10 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,269 times
Quote:

Robert
Find that specific clause and you’ll know what the $500 is for.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:28 AM

I know everyone is only trying to help. However, this is too much!

Why, if I give them a written notice today is the amount $500? It's only 9 days. My rent is $705 per month.

I thought about going month-to-month, and then give a 30 day written certified letter notice, but it will be more than $500. That's how much the monthly rent has gone up.

I looked at the Lease Agreement and I do not see a clause that if I move, I will have to pay for it. So, djsuperfly may be right that the $500 is for not giving a written notice within 30 days. However, I do not see that I will be charged if do not give a written notice within 30 days.

Confused and sick of this,
Robert

Old 09-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Robert
Who reads the entire lease? Anyone who realizes they are signing a legally binding document that not only has expectations on the tenant but legal protections for them as well.

That's what they are counting on? Most LLs/owners aren't looking to milk extra money out of you. What they want is you to move in, pay the rent on time, provide proper notice when ending lease, and leave the place as good or better than when you moved in.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I know everyone is only trying to help. However, this is too much!

Why, if I give them a written notice today is the amount $500? It's only 9 days. My rent is $705 per month.

I thought about going month-to-month, and then give a 30 day written certified letter notice, but it will be more than $500. That's how much the monthly rent has gone up.

I looked at the Lease Agreement and I do not see a clause that if I move, I will have to pay for it. So, djsuperfly may be right that the $500 is for not giving a written notice within 30 days. However, I do not see that I will be charged if do not give a written notice within 30 days.

Confused and sick of this,
Robert
I'm not entirely sure what your saying here. Yes, spending another month in current unit will be more than $500, but if you move to a new unit, you'll pay the new rent and the $500.

Say you find a new place for even $600. October will then cost you $1100--$600 for the new unit and $500 to old complex. Will it cost you more than $1100 or so to stay another month in current unit? If not, that's your best bet.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I'm not entirely sure what your saying here. Yes, spending another month in current unit will be more than $500, but if you move to a new unit, you'll pay the new rent and the $500.

Say you find a new place for even $600. October will then cost you $1100--$600 for the new unit and $500 to old complex. Will it cost you more than $1100 or so to stay another month in current unit? If not, that's your best bet.
I pay $705 per month. On a month-to-month basis it's $1095 plus a month-to-month fee of $100 and my utility fees/insurance.

Current breakdown:

Base rent $570
Utilities $125
Insurance $10

Total $705

So, if the Utilities an Insurance remains the same (which I doubt) the total for Oct. would be $1330.

Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting