Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:03 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If you want the world to operate differently, buy some rental property and advertise "recently evicted welcome". "Bad credit welcome", etc.
Priceless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 08:24 AM

64 posts, read 149,125 times
To be fair, I don't think everyone intentionally choses not to pay their rent. A lot of times people just fall on hard times. If they have an understanding LL that would be able to work with them until their situation approves, than that would be great. Communication is they key. I don't think they should be able to take advantage and live there rent free. LLs do have bills just like everyone else. But depending on the circumstances of the eviction, I don't think it should be held against the tenant, especially if the circumstances couldn't be avoided, like being laid of.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmichelle28CT View Post
To be fair, I don't think everyone intentionally choses not to pay their rent. A lot of times people just fall on hard times. If they have an understanding LL that would be able to work with them until their situation approves, than that would be great. Communication is they key. I don't think they should be able to take advantage and live there rent free. LLs do have bills just like everyone else. But depending on the circumstances of the eviction, I don't think it should be held against the tenant, especially if the circumstances couldn't be avoided, like being laid of.
I completely agree. I was laid off in late September of 2006. Because of my company's pay schedule, my final pay was only for a few days and my severance pay did come until October 20-something. Only then, would I have the full amount to pay the rent. Even though I told my landlord this, he issued the 5 day notice to pay or quit on the 15th. I even tried one of those payday advance places, but it didn't work because I did not have a current employer (even though I was expecting one more payroll check).

The resulting time line was just ridiculous. He filed a complaint to start the eviction process in late October. Two days later, I filed an answer along with October's rent + the late fees. I paid the court my rent for November and December (there was some more back and forth over the amounts). Mediation was set right before the holidays.

Because of some oversight on their part, my landlord and his attorney never showed up for the mediation. The court ruled for the money held by the court registry to be released and that I pay their filing fees. January rent was paid on time. But get this, it took the court until March to mail out the check for 3 months rent. In the meantime, my landlord was not very happy...but even confessed to me that he didn't know they were so slow...and he's used to tenets who just high tail it and leave.

Well, the moral of the story is that we both lost ultimately. It took him a few months to get my rent money as opposed to several weeks and I now have this complaint on my public record (although it was dismissed...it still doesn't look good).

Old 08-13-2008, 07:25 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post

Well, the moral of the story is that we both lost ultimately. It took him a few months to get my rent money as opposed to several weeks and I now have this complaint on my public record (although it was dismissed...it still doesn't look good).

My Grandfather said many times that both sides loose whenever lawyers and courts are involved...

I think part of the problem is resolution through the court system takes time... Many owners have been burned by waiting only to have to eventually file and that is why I believe property managers start the process as soon as possible according to statute.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
completely agree. I was laid off in late September of 2006...
Well, as one of our local JP Court Judges says in here pre-eviction hearing speech to all the landlords and tenants assembled, there are legal reasons for not paying rent and there are human reasons for not paying rent. Losing a job, illness, etc. are human resasons that she is not able or allowed to consider in deciding who will have possession of the property, therefore, she doesn't even want to hear about them.

She goes on to explain what a legal reason is (habitability issues followed by proper certified requests for repairs and the landlord's failure to make repairs followed, by a "repair and deduct" action by the tenant), and the fact that unless a legal reason for not paying exists, she will find in favor of the landlord.

So, the hearing usually goes like this:
Judge to tenant: Is it true you haven't paid rent? Yes or no.
Tenant: Yes
Judge: Do you have a Legal Reason for not paying your rent?
Tenant: No
Judge: I find in favor of the Landlord, in the amount of ...

Judge: Next

That's it. It may seem unfair for sommeone experiencing human reasons for not having rent, and it's not always the best possible outcome for the landlord, but it's foolish to halt or delay the process because a tenant tells the landlord that money will be coming in the future. What I say is, "ok, show up at court with cash or cashier's check for the full amount and we'll have a converstaion in front of the judge and see if we can work something out. But I'm not stopping the eviction process based on a promise to pay later". Any landlord who does is most likely to regret doing so later.

Steve

Eviction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting