Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times

Advertisements

Sometimes a new tenant feels like installing a new lock (either as an additional lock, or to replace the existing one) for security concern.

Would it seem a little rude or distrusting to ask the LL for permission to install a new lock?

Would most LL allow it? If yes, do they usually ask to get a key for themselves (LL)? If yes, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
You're renting--it's still their property. They have a right to access it at any time.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,400,419 times
Most leases and/or tenant handbooks state that you may not change the lock without the landlord's knowledge and permission. Of course most would not refuse such a request. and yes, you must give them a key.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times
Thanks. How would a LL feel if the new tenant asks about this?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 PM

61 posts, read 191,644 times
As a rule, landlords usually change the locks or have them re-keyed after each tenant moves out. This is a basic security matter. The Landlord needs a key for maintenance reasons, such as letting in repairmen, insurance appraisers etc... In AZ there is the Landlord Tenant Act which requires that the tenant be given 48 hours notice befor the landlord enters the property. It may vary state to state.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks. How would a LL feel if the new tenant asks about this?
I don't think they'd have a problem--particularly if you did it at your own expense, as long as they retained a key.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
I would not be offended if a tenant wanted to change a lock. As mentioned above, I would insist on having a key. I would expect no damage done during the lock change.

However, I've installed keypad locks which I think my tenants might like because this way they don't have to carry yet another key and to avoid rekeying in the future.

They look like this (I did use the pictured brand but am posting only for reference, not as endorsement)...

Old 02-01-2010, 12:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Leases refer to changing the locks without consent and additional locks as alteration to the premises.

I'd make my request in writing, there shouldn't be a problem as long as you provide a key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Sometimes a new tenant feels like installing a new lock (either as an additional lock, or to replace the existing one) for security concern.

Would it seem a little rude or distrusting to ask the LL for permission to install a new lock?

Would most LL allow it? If yes, do they usually ask to get a key for themselves (LL)? If yes, why?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:08 AM

792 posts, read 1,302,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You're renting--it's still their property. They have a right to access it at any time.
I don't believe that is correct. Read your lease agreement, owners/property managers etc. have a right to enter upon reasonable notice, State laws may differ regarding timeframe for "notice of right to enter" so check it out.

I would almost insist on that lock change because if you do not, and the previous tenant had ill intent, you could become an instant victim.

As a previous owner of rental properties, I changed out and re-key locks with every tenant change/ lost key etc. and had all keys stamped..."DO NOT DUPLICATE"...it's no guarantee, but better than nothing......good luck !

Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I don't believe that is correct. Read your lease agreement, owners/property managers etc. have a right to enter upon reasonable notice, State laws may differ regarding timeframe for "notice of right to enter" so check it out.

I would almost insist on that lock change because if you do not, and the previous tenant had ill intent, you could become an instant victim.

As a previous owner of rental properties, I changed out and re-key locks with every tenant change/ lost key etc. and had all keys stamped..."DO NOT DUPLICATE"...it's no guarantee, but better than nothing......good luck !
Apartment dwellers may not be aware, some property managers rotate locks after the tenant vacates for this reason, but it's certainly an option for security measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting