Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, you are giving me nightmares. We do rent out 2 homes that we own. We do know the tenants very well, because they are friends. But let me tell ya somethig, doesn't mean because those friends know that we are clean freaks, everything spotless, better then new, that your good friends, are going to follow in your footsteps. No they don't. Infact i can't even go and vist my friends anymore, since they have been renting out my houses. They know how i am, they know me, but live i guess as they usually would. My houses were spotless and like new, when they were rented, new appliances, new floors, painted inside, everything new in the bathrooms, and laundry room. New lights were put in and new ceiling fans, chandelier in the dining rooms, we went out of our way for our friends. Now, my new appliances, look as if they have never been cleaned, the rugs don't get vacumed, the floors don't look like they get mopped ever. The kitchen, are a freaking disaster, i can't bear to look at them. See where i am going with this. When i vist my friends now, renting my homes, i come home a nervous wreck. I can't concentrate on my vist, i am too busy checking out my houses. I know i should not be like this as long as i am getting paid the rent, so why do i feel this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
People like that make it so hard for renters period. Unfortantly even people who own their homes live like that. I clean professionally for a living and have been in some of the grossest places. how people live like that is beyond me...but I know it happens all the time. Heck if I rented places out I wouldn't rent to my own sister since she is just disgusting in her housekeeping habits.

people like that make it difficult for good renters to find a nice place--this area has tons of places like that and the llords will show them as is and expect the next tenant to fix/clean up the place---am dreading moving this spring for that reason,and am moving cause neighbor on other side has smelly house,dirty habits,and is attracting rats,skunks to the shared yard---yech---people r dirty---looking for a landlord that appreciates fussy tenants up here

Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
You need to screen your tenants BEFORE they move in.
We do, criminal background, previous LL, credit history, etc...

In todays economy most peoples credit history are not very good...if they have good credit, most people will buy a home.

Both had a job...nice looking cars, kids looking nice and them self had paint on their clothes the second time I met them because they were painting their rental they were movng out so everything would be as it was to make sure they would get their sec. deposit back...what else can we ask for...I even drove by the previous rental to see how it looked....

Old 02-05-2010, 09:03 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Depends on your tenant. I've FIXED UP places where I only rented--because I have to live there, and the landlord doesn't.
Me too. I so agree.

I don't see what the problem is but a lot of renters have what I call "renters rules", they will not do a thing or spend any money on their rental, saying they do not own it....

But My reasoning is, you are the one living there, if it was your house you would spend the money. I can understand you will not gut a bathroom or kitchen, but paint, carpet, window treatments, you can buy yourself, that really is no biggie, especially if you know you will live there for a few years.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
In answer to the OP: Yes, tenants think that landlords want to keep their security deposits. I still think that way because I used to be a live-in apt. manager and my bosses would "forget" to send back security deposits of old tenants (the ones that paid a lower security deposit than the ones they charged once they bought and took over the building) even when those tenants left the unit in excellent condition. Since they paid between $150 and $200, my bosses took the chance that the ex tenants would just shrug it off and would only pay when they got threatened with small claims court.

The new leases specifically stated that the tenant would be charged a cleaning and painting fee after moving out so they never got their full deposit either (for a regular cleaning it was around $100) and they got receipts from the painters and carpet cleaners.

So, yes, there are some shisty landlord out there but it doesn't take away from how much of a pig a tenant can be. My father is still an apartment manager and one of the worst (yet funniest) stories was when a group of tenants told him that they wanted to switch apartments. When my dad asked them why they told him because their apartment was too dirty. Too dirty! Not because they had reocurring problems in the unit but because they hadn't cleaned it up once since they moved in and, after six months, even they couldn't stand the filth. My father just laughed and told them to clean it up.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:31 PM

^^^^Of course there are bad tenants and bad LL and good tenants and good LL...

Funny how tenants wanted to switch due to their own filty behavior...

I'm now at $ 3050.00 for the repairs and still counting...I have a sec. deposit for a little less than half of this amount and I will for sure go to small claims court if he doesn't pay...
I believe that if no one does anything than these tenants will go on and on with the same behavior...

Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 AM

4 posts, read 26,766 times
When you are charged $20 a month for "pet rent" plus $20 a month to pick up trash from your front door and then later they decide not to pick it up from the front door and still keep charging you.

When the rent is over priced, when your AC dies 4 times each summer and your dog nearly dies due to heat exhaustion.

When some member of the staff keeps leaving your door unlocked when your at work (I changed the locks which put an end to that)

When they have your car towed and you later get it out for free because it was illegally towed.

When you have been locked into the complex because the automatic gates wont open, and none of the staff is on property yet.

Just a few things which happened to me.

This is when you don't feel so bad moving out and leaving the place for them to clean up.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Legally in most states a bad relationship with the land lord is not cause for a security deposit to be with held. Here in NJ if an apartment is left in good clean shape deposit must be refunded within 30 days.

If landlord deducts for any damages, or clean ups, it needs to be detailed as to what the deductions from deposit are for. If this isn't done land lord can be held liable for up to two times the security deposit. Considering the average deposit in NJ is about $1500.00 that adds up to a chunk of change.

Some people are just plain out & out slobs and that is why they leave places a mess..I see that sometimes on vacation..rooms looking like a tornado has gone through them and the attitude of the checking out guest is I paid x amount of dollars let the maid deal with it....just gross slobs

Old 02-08-2010, 09:22 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times
I don't understand how a situation like this can happen. The tenet and I do a walk through with a check sheet before they move in. I inspect the property 30 days after they move in, and every 90 days thereafter.
If there is any sign of damage, I nip it in the bud immediately, and don't wait for them to move out before discovering they destroyed the place. If the place doesn't meet my standards, they are evicted immediately.
The day before the tenet moves out, I do a walk through with tenet and check sheet, so there are no surprises to anyone involved.
I wouldn't dream of letting someone live for years with no periodic inspection.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 26,766 times
You need to find those people and get dupont to hire them as carpet testers.

I don't know why anyone would steal the dishwashers all the ones I've had are glorified light and water shows that leave the dishes grimy.

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I had one that cost me $4000.00...

New carpet that I had put in right before they moved in looked like it was 20 years old after only 4 years...and that was just the beginning...

I have yet to have one that just the deposit alone covers their damage..

The one that just moved stole the dishwasher...

Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I don't understand how a situation like this can happen. The tenet and I do a walk through with a check sheet before they move in. I inspect the property 30 days after they move in, and every 90 days thereafter. If there is any sign of damage, I nip it in the bud immediately, and don't wait for them to move out before discovering they destroyed the place. If the place doesn't meet my standards, they are evicted immediately.
The day before the tenet moves out, I do a walk through with tenet and check sheet, so there are no surprises to anyone involved.
I wouldn't dream of letting someone live for years with no periodic inspection.
I do things different than you and for the following reasons;

I do believe a tenant has the right to have privacy and not be getting a LL in the house they rent every 90 days and 30 days after they moved in. That to me would be very annoying if I were the tenant. I have always gotten my full deposit back and I have been living in 7 rental properties in my life and never had any LL coming over to check during the lease period.

I make pictures before the tenant moves in and do the same when they move out. I hire official companies to do the work and that way have proof of everything that needed to be repaired and or replaced.

With the last tenant I was every month (for the last couple of months) at the property because they paid in cash. They started paying the first month, non refundable pet fee and security deposit in cash and later paid by check, even gave me 3 postponed dated checks. After that it became different and not for the best. They started to come up with stories to pay 1 day late, than 3 days late....and I always had to email them, call them, etc...and on several occasions I emailed them that the rent needed to be paid on time by sending the mail to my P.O. Box and that we never agreed I would pick up the rent. (He paid a large amount in late fees) One day after a couple of calls from my side he told me I could come by and he had the rent amount ready. When I arrived he only had a partial amount and I told him I never take anything other than full payments...and he started to wave the dollar bills in front of me and said "tempting isn't it", which was very disrespectful and wrong doing that in front of his 7 yr old child, who made remarks how I took all their money....

I already noticed spots in the carpet (I never walked further than standing in the front door) and told them they needed to remove it. The next time it looked much better and the living room always looked decent to the eye.
I also told them they shouldn't have the windows open all the time and if mold would start growing due to the FL. humidity they would be responsible for the cost and that according to our contract it wasn't allowed. neither was leaving the garage door open the whole day and when they weren't home when I had the appointment to pick up the rent I noticed all doors and windows were left open. The HOA had send me a violation letter for that address.

I had noticed a couple of calls due to domestic disturbance to the cops, that is why I tried not to get into anything too much and rather waited till they moved out and just emailed them instructions for the security deposit to be paid in full. He responded to the email, the certified letter I sent them about a similar thing was returned and never opened.

If you do so many checks on the property and then you need to have potential new tenants see the property, I wonder if a tenant has the rright to refuse to all this intrusion since they have the right to privacy.....JMO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting