Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

As long as its reasonable which would be determined in court he can pay hiself toi do repairs. As far as the yard;he only has to pay if he agreed to or wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
What you charged seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The LL can keep money for the work he does him self and show receipts of the purchases and bank statements that it has been paid as proof.

I'm charging my previous LL as we speak for the many hours we worked in the yard to fix everything to the level it was as the tenant moved in, which took 3 of my family members 4 hours (so we charged 3 x 4 hours x $ 10.00 per hour)...I don't think we have to do it for free and for the items we have receipts.

We also have proof of before move in, and on the day of move out to show how much difference it was...

Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,911,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I agree partially with your post THL, however greater nor cheaper equal better and a cost of 50% more than the normal range for the same repair, as another poster suggested, in my estimation is unreasonable.
virgode--I said the 50% +/- is a good rule of thumb. Every judge and every case is different. But it is a good rule of thumb when considering whether to go to court over the issue.

Remember even if the judge decides the deduction was unreasonable--that doesn't mean you're getting your whole deposit back. If the LL decides that, say 25% more is 'reasonable', then you only get a refund of 25%. Your court costs could easily exceed any amount you win in court.

OP needs to estimate not only if the LL's deductions were reasonable, but if not, by how much would a judge consider the deduction to be unreasonable.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Thanks for the responses. OP and LL are the same person, here.

This is our first rental, our first time changing tenants (We bought tenant-occupied), so we're still figuring things out.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
I don't have a lack of understanding of what would take place in a court hearing, I normaly never suggest this to posters, but personally, if an LL did this, I'd take him to court on principle alone, I can't stand greed.

In case the OP isn't certain how a court hearing would way out, this gives him a good understanding.

quote=kodaka;13875463]virgode--I said the 50% +/- is a good rule of thumb. Every judge and every case is different. But it is a good rule of thumb when considering whether to go to court over the issue.

Remember even if the judge decides the deduction was unreasonable--that doesn't mean you're getting your whole deposit back. If the LL decides that, say 25% more is 'reasonable', then you only get a refund of 25%. Your court costs could easily exceed any amount you win in court.

OP needs to estimate not only if the LL's deductions were reasonable, but if not, by how much would a judge consider the deduction to be unreasonable.[/quote]

Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
If we do any work ourselves and charge the tenant, we'll likely be at the low end of "reasonable," rather than the high end. I agree that 50% more than you'd pay an expert is too much. I'd be more likely to charge 50% less.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:47 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Just because the plumber quotes $200 does not mean it finishes out at $200, it is usually at least twice that by the time they finish. Plumbing is rough, you remove one 12 inch pipe and ten feet of pipe falls apart.

Why is it that tenants always remove all the interior doors??

Old 04-25-2010, 11:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,746,293 times
Given that landlord doesn't have marketing cost and other overhead cost built into his labor, it should be below the going rate. A contractor may charge $50/hr, but he only pockets $25 because much of his time is spent bidding jobs and on other costs. It should be closer to what an employee would be paid per hour. So if you would pay a contractor $50 per hour, then I think about $25 per hour would seem reasonable.

If the tenant put a hole in the wall, the LL wouldn't be expected to fix it for the cost of materials which would be about $20, if he spent 3 hours patching and painting it. That would be working for free and no one does that. He should charge about $100 instead of the $150+ a contractor would charge.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
And I bet you can go out and find 20 different professionals that would all charge a different amount. So while the LL may be charging more than one professional he may be charging less than others. Not something I would want to hang my hat on in court. Obviously the better move would be for the tenant to get it fixed himself if possible and then they don't have to worry about if they are getting ripped off by the LL (they just have to worry about getting ripped off by the professional ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting