Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Do you have any idea what your talking about? Nobody is subsidizing affordable house. most time a developer agrees to set aside a certain number of units with income restrictions in exchange for higher density or other consideraitios above what planning allowed. I think your confused about this and thinking about something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:30 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Nobody is subsidizing affordable house. most time a developer agrees to set aside a certain number of units with income restrictions in exchange for higher density or other consideraitios above what planning allowed. I think your confused about this and thinking about something else.
You bet it is subsidized.

The building next to me is 100% low-income. The amount they pay is based on their income. HUD pays the difference to make up the rest of the rent.

In other cases it is very possible other tenants are paying more to make up the difference.

Also, the developers don't have much of a choice but to agree to providing low-income housing if they want to build something.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
The properties are subsized by the government so unless you qualify, your not going to get the lesser amount.

If you truely believe these communities have a higher crime rate, why are you twisted out of shape and offended you can't live there, in other words your willing to live with crime provided you don't pay the full market value.

Maybe you should think about lowering your debt, so you don't have to look at poverty housing, or quit your job and work for minimum wage so you qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Do people forget crime is an economic issue? The lower the income level of a community, the higher the crime rate. I was rejected by one apartment because my income wasn't low enough, and was offered an inflated rental in another apartment again because of my income.

What's the logic behind this? Why are they shutting out people that can actually afford to pay for it?!!!

Last edited by virgode; 05-10-2010 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 05-10-2010, 04:55 AM

Finding affordable housing, affordable apartments and rental homes.

There getting a tax credit on the property from the federal government, so for all intent and purpose, they may not be called "subsized", yet they are, they get a kick back.

Quote:
Income restricted housing is NOT subsidized and is not section 8. I think a lot of you have no idea what your talking about, but if it makes you fell like you have a brain, go ahead and talk out of stupidity. The only point your making is to show how little you know.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
"Affordable housing" is usually not a good deal anyway. The apartments are dolled up fancy and fashionable, but they cut corners left, right and center, just doing the bare minimum to look good. Today's "trashy" 50's and 60's apartments were originally products of exactly the same mentality. Paper thin walls, cheap appliances, homebrewed interpretation of modern fashions, the whole nine yards. After all, anything that you rent out to someone is a liability, and those that are less credit-worthy are known greater liabilities, so why pay any more than you have to to build something for the lower class?

And, of course, the kind of people that you tend get in there can be hard to deal with. There are millions, even billions of good people who live on low income, but there's the small minority which feels entitled to act like jerks and cause endless headaches, and places like this attract them like a magnet.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,498 times
Default ...

What your saying is ridiculous. Everybody gets knocked back and it's not like you don't have a high enough income to try somewhere else. Your complaining over nonsense. You obviously do not realise how lucky you are and have that luxury to pick and choose. I have been looking for a place to live for almost a year now and am also on welfare, not because I choose to be which is not understood by working upper class people. A disc injury, which is temporarily preventing me to work as it heals and everytime I apply for a place I am knocked back perhaps of my age and the fact I am not working which is hard. So before you have a sop story about how you earn too much and crap, get over yourself because not all of us take up crime as our day jobs. Think about it, in all realism I have no chance with real estates and inspections but I go anyway because I am trying. Like it was said, there are good low income people out there it's just people out there like you who wont give us a go!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Sounds like some are trying to make this a political or social issue. Income restricted does not automatically mean low income or subsidized. Look at some of those midwest resort towns where they can't even get teachers because they can't afford housing. So the local planners let them build many more units so long as they set some of them aside with income restrictions. The income restrictions are not federal, they get no tax breaks, there is no subsadies. But the owners got more units than normally allowed. My uncle could have built what was allowed or agree to more units if he was willing to set some (not all) aside with income restrictions. All other rules for renting applied to the renter. The income level is not low by most standards but to that area its low. Cause the average income is so high, teachers, admin, support people, etc can't afford the rentals, and companies are finding it hard to keep people because they couldn't find housing close by.

Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,299,161 times
Quote:
Sounds like some are trying to make this a political or social issue. Income restricted does not automatically mean low income or subsidized. Look at some of those midwest resort towns where they can't even get teachers because they can't afford housing. So the local planners let them build many more units so long as they set some of them aside with income restrictions. The income restrictions are not federal, they get no tax breaks, there is no subsadies. But the owners got more units than normally allowed. My uncle could have built what was allowed or agree to more units if he was willing to set some (not all) aside with income restrictions. All other rules for renting applied to the renter. The income level is not low by most standards but to that area its low. Cause the average income is so high, teachers, admin, support people, etc can't afford the rentals, and companies are finding it hard to keep people because they couldn't find housing close by.
Again, the difference is subsidized in some form. It could be tax breaks, HUD paying the landlords the difference in rent, offering low-interest loans (or no-interest loans), or other tenants paying more to make up the difference. Somebody is making up the difference. The rent isn't just simply reduced for these people.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 AM

Yes, there are subsidized and tax credit properties.
Your basing this on what your uncle told you, it doesn't hold true for all.
Another thought is the entire community would have to be income restricted in order to be called tax credit and recieve the break.

Quote:
The income restrictions are not federal, they get no tax breaks, there is no subsadies. But the owners got more units than normally allowed. My uncle could have built what was allowed or agree to more units if he was willing to set some (not all) aside with income restrictions. All other rules for renting applied to the renter. .

Last edited by virgode; 05-11-2010 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janamc View Post
Low-income people often have limited options for affordable housing so, personally, I am okay with income restrictions that reserve the low-income housing for the people who NEED low-income housing. I can afford to live somewhere else, but they can't.
So you are Ok with paying your rent in full yourself and you don't mind helping to pay part someone elses rent too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting