Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 09:38 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,749,627 times

Advertisements

The rent on these places is fixed when they take on the income restriction. If they weren't required to only rent to people within those restrictions, the rent wouldn't be that low. You're saying it's not fair to place an income restriction on the cheap apartments, but without the income restriction they wouldn't be cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

5 posts, read 55,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
The rent on these places is fixed when they take on the income restriction. If they weren't required to only rent to people within those restrictions, the rent wouldn't be that low. You're saying it's not fair to place an income restriction on the cheap apartments, but without the income restriction they wouldn't be cheap.
Thanks for stating the obvious, my point is why do people who make less money get to live in a nice place, and people who make more money are allowed to to pay less rent and live in a dump?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM

166 posts, read 443,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Of course it's subsidized. The people in the income restricted program are not paying the same as everyone else. Their rent is SUBSIDIZED (and an unfunded mandate).
Where do you want these people to live? A lot of these people are hard working, many were not able to go to college. Of course there are always bad apples, so just what do you think should happen to the low income people?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:24 AM

166 posts, read 443,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So you are Ok with paying your rent in full yourself and you don't mind helping to pay part someone elses rent too?

I don't mind at all, there may come a time when you are hit with hard times,a injury that permanently disables you. Losing your income will make your partner have to work more, but if you have kids it will be twice as hard. You will then have to reply on lower income housing unless you have a house that is paid for.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:11 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Where do you want these people to live? A lot of these people are hard working, many were not able to go to college. Of course there are always bad apples, so just what do you think should happen to the low income people?
there's always someplace to rent. It may not be the safest, most up to date place, but there are always low income places to rent. And if we automatically give them a nice place, what is their motivation to get educated, learn some skills, get a better job, etc so they can afford a nicer place? It's not their fault.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:48 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot86 View Post
Please explain to me 'Tilli', how does this make sense in your eyes?
Why should I explain again when I've already explained it to you twice? I am sorry if this sort of thing is beyond your comprehension, but it's really quite clear.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
Quote:
Thanks for stating the obvious, my point is why do people who make less money get to live in a nice place, and people who make more money are allowed to to pay less rent and live in a dump?
Would you rent to someone who's probably going to trash your apartment, with practically no deposit, and charge less than someone you believe is responsible? Or would you expect just compensation for taking on the risk?

Old 06-01-2011, 10:36 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masika View Post
Sorry - you just pushed my button.

Where do I want them to live - who cares? I've lived in my CAR twice and in a TENT for a summer to save money. I took COLD showers outside in the winter at a public beach. Did I like it? F no.

But nobody ever gave me anything, and I never asked or expected it. I've been rich and I've been poor, I've had a business fail, but I never went bankrupt.

Anyone who is capable can go to college. At one point my SO was so broke going to college she was sleeping on the floor of a friends apartment, eating noodles, maxed out her single credit card and had 10 cents in her pocket.

It took her 7 years, and a LOT of sacrifice on both our parts but she graduated as Valedictorian of a major university last year!

In 2005, my business had failed a couple of years earlier and we were living in a motel suite and were 3 days from eviction ourselves.

And today I live in a 3 million dollar So Cal beach house and own 20 units in 3 states. I am well off, but far from "rich" and I drive a 31 year old pick-up truck.

So don't give me your bleeding heart sob stories about what should the poor do. You have to grab your bootstraps and start pulling if you want to get out of the mud. It's messy and sticky and sometimes you fall back into it. But you have to try again.

What do I think should happen to low income people? I think if they can't afford an apartment they need to learn to camp and fish and get used to cold showers. Then they need to get a job - there are jobs out there, even today. They need to save their money instead of smoking and doping and hanging out on the stoop.

If they are capable and willing to make the effort, student loans and grants are available to nearly anyone.

Nobody is going to throw you a rope, you have to climb yourself. It takes effort. I work 90 hour weeks on my real estate business - about 1/2 trying to comply with bogus laws and fend off the entitlement seekers and looters of the world.

So don't get me started about low income entitlements. Nobody is entitled to anything they haven't worked for or inherited.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
People who make more money probably wouldn't want to live in a town where there is subsidized housing. The other places are supposed to be for the low income people who don't qualify for the subsidized housing for other reasons. There are several towns near me that are as cheap as the one you mentioned but nobody would live there unless they had absolutely no choice.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:20 AM

I agree to an extent that people shouldn't get handouts just because they are poor, but the reality is that if we don't try to give people a leg up they will affect our quality of life much more adversely than a few extra pennies of tax does right now. Maybe it isn't 'right' but it's what has to be done.

And the fact is that it's still way too easy to lose everything in a second in this country. The vast majority of bankruptcies in this country still come from medical expenses, and a vast majority of those are from people who had insurance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting