Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help me with my fathers situation. My father is turning 65 in less than 3 months. He had an appointment to see if he will qualify for disability, they were almost done when the worker noticed my parents own two properties. One they live in and they rent. Due to the 2nd home and the money they get for the rental, she stated my father doesn't qualify. The amount we get is less than the mortgage by 200-400 dollars a month. If my parents sell the property, they will be upside down on the loan by like 50k! Renting for now is obviously the best option as the real estate market has made selling the place a dumb move.

Its like they think we have already paid off the 2nd home when its not. My mother told the worker we are still making payments but she didn't care. She stated they consider that income regardless of the reason.

I'm working on sending them a letter with the loan paperwork and copies of the checks from my dads bank account. I rather just do this in person but my dad stated its better to do a dispute via mail. I'm starting a new job this week so I can't take time off to go with my father for a few weeks anyways.

Do I any leg to stand on? My dad physically can't work a full time job. I don't want to go into details about that but the reason why he was denied was due to the rental property.

Any advice is greatly needed!!!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
I am not sure as the IRS would consider this income.Assets actaully can keep people form quailfying for many SS programs altho it might not be earning money.Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer but I'm betting it's pretty cut and dry on what is income no matter what you spend it on.You might have to decide whether to sell the property at a lose and take the disability.
'

Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,883 times
you said you were seeing SS about disability~ there are no restrictions on amount of money or investments you can have to draw SS disability, even billionaires can qualify if they are disabled and it prevents them from working!

Either you are applying for something else or you qualify or not depending upon the health issues.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am not sure as the IRS would consider this income.Assets actaully can keep people form quailfying for many SS programs altho it might not be earning money.Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer but I'm betting it's pretty cut and dry on what is income no matter what you spend it on.You might have to decide whether to sell the property at a lose and take the disability.
'
yea, thats what Im worried about. I got the numbers, it would be at least a $35,000 loss. Not sure how that would make sense to anyone to force a massive debt to get what is rightfully due to my father. There is no way he can work full time, he would get way too tired. Im just mad because there are people who get these benefits who are better off and in better health. Hes been in this country for 20+ years, paying his taxes every year whereas illegals and people who dont even bother getting a job get these benefits easy.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Hello there, I'm hoping someone can help me with my fathers situation. My father is turning 65 in less than 3 months. He had an appointment to see if he will qualify for disability,
I don't understand - why not just sign up for social security? He qualified for that as soon as he hit 62, didn't he?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
yea, thats what Im worried about. I got the numbers, it would be at least a $35,000 loss. Not sure how that would make sense to anyone to force a massive debt to get what is rightfully due to my father. There is no way he can work full time, he would get way too tired. Im just mad because there are people who get these benefits who are better off and in better health. Hes been in this country for 20+ years, paying his taxes every year whereas illegals and people who dont even bother getting a job get these benefits easy.
Well social security has tugh rulkes likje someone who owns proeprty and has savings above 2000 des not qauilfy for much help under medicare because they saved 2000.All that doews is have people tranfer the moeny years ahead to relatives in case they get ill. 2000 doesn't go far with medical bills these days.SS can actaully go after their homes when they die but usually don't.Ther are tons of lawyers who advise to tranfer things ahead of when you might need assistance and alot do.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
This OP statement on this thread makes no sense. If you become 65, you cannot qualify for disability because you will have reached the retirement age. When you are on social security disability, when you reach 65, you are converted from SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) to SSRI (Social Security Retirement Insurance). Even if he was a few months to 65, there is a 6 months waiting period for benefits after the onset date of disability.

Assets have nothing to do with disability. Disability means the inability to work a job and make a substantial statutory income because of a physical and mental disability.

So what is with these statements. I just do not understand the problem.

Livecontent

Old 06-29-2010, 02:21 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
This OP statement on this thread makes no sense. If you become 65, you cannot qualify for disability because you will have reached the retirement age. When you are on social security disability, when you reach 65, you are converted from SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) to SSRI (Social Security Retirement Insurance). Even if he was a few months to 65, there is a 6 months waiting period for benefits after the onset date of disability.

Assets have nothing to do with disability. Disability means the inability to work a job and make a substantial statutory income because of a physical and mental disability.

So what is with these statements. I just do not understand the problem.

Livecontent
Neither do I.

I was in this situation. I received SSD before age 65, but my income was never an issue, only my state of health. At age 65 one is converted to the usual SS.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:23 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well social security has tugh rulkes likje someone who owns proeprty and has savings above 2000 des not qauilfy for much help under medicare because they saved 2000.All that doews is have people tranfer the moeny years ahead to relatives in case they get ill. 2000 doesn't go far with medical bills these days.SS can actaully go after their homes when they die but usually don't.Ther are tons of lawyers who advise to tranfer things ahead of when you might need assistance and alot do.
Medicare has nothing to do with assets. You qualify for medicare when you reach 65 or you are certified as disabled under social security and you have the earning periods to qualify.

Talking about assets and transfer of funds has to do with qualifying for Medicaid which is a different program, administered by the States. You move to Medicaid, if you have minimum assets, because it covers long term nursing home care and Medicare does not.

I know it is confusing but I just want to make it clear.

Livecontent

Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM

92 posts, read 512,278 times
Are you asking about US Social Security?

Rental income does not affect eligibility for Social Security disability or retirement benefits in the US.

Rental income and asset ownership, would affect SSI eligibility, but if your father has worked and is eligible for Social Security, SSI would not be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement