Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times

Advertisements

Statistically: there are 3% more females than males in the US and they live 3 years longer on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
It is really sad that the only experience that apparently from the above remark that you have had with men is to describe us as "old goats" who would be good to be gone.

You probably scream when men use similar language for women.
Nah, I like lots of men. I just get irritated when that old stereotype crops up that the only way women can be happy is if they have a man and if there is one man in a group, then all the women must be vying for him. It is a ridiculous and insulting assumption.

My 2nd paragraph is what I really think. Assisted living places by definition house sick people. Sick people are rarely cheerful because (drumroll) they feel lousy. Duh! Women on average live longer than men. Ergo, there will be more women in those places. Another duh!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:15 AM

89 posts, read 132,610 times
I think it's complex. I am skeptical about the theory that men die sooner -- yes men have a shorter average lifespan than women, but the difference isn't great enough to explain the ratio at assisted living homes. And besides, it was the same at the over-55 apartment complex where my mother lived before. Men are not all dying before age 55!

Are men more likely to have homes and money and wives to care for them? Are they generally more independent and unwilling to live with strangers?

As for whether women can be happy without men, I don't know, have not yet tried it. I have a feeling I could manage to survive without sex. There are ways. But I LIKE having men as friends! I can't imagine hanging out with 100% women all the time!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default Nature of assisted living facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Assisted living places by definition house sick people. Sick people are rarely cheerful because (drumroll) they feel lousy. Duh! Women on average live longer than men. Ergo, there will be more women in those places. Another duh!
No argument with what you have written, but I would like to take your comment and run with it in a slightly different direction. "Assisted living places" can be a loosely used term. Many of them are retirement communities which have "independent living" quarters for which the rent includes either two or three meals a day served in a central dining facility. Some people who have chosen to live there may not be very "sick" per se, just older and not desirous of preparing their own meals all the time. Some even still drive and have their own cars. I salute those people who have had the foresight to make such a move before it is absolutely forced on them. They can enjoy their independence without certain burdens. Others resist the idea that they can no longer cope like they used to despite all evidence to the contrary. My mother was one of those; she insisted on continuing to live in her regular apartment beyond the point where she could reliably prepare her own meals, so her nutritional needs were not being met. Finally she relented and moved into an independent living apartment in a wonderful retirement community with meals provided. She actually liked it, but died two months later. If she had been less stubborn and moved sooner, many problems and much misery could have been avoided. We met a number of people there who were not really "sick", and the place had a cheery atmosphere, rather to my surprise.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
I think it's complex. I am skeptical about the theory that men die sooner -- yes men have a shorter average lifespan than women, but the difference isn't great enough to explain the ratio at assisted living homes. And besides, it was the same at the over-55 apartment complex where my mother lived before. Men are not all dying before age 55!

Are men more likely to have homes and money and wives to care for them? Are they generally more independent and unwilling to live with strangers?

As for whether women can be happy without men, I don't know, have not yet tried it. I have a feeling I could manage to survive without sex. There are ways. But I LIKE having men as friends! I can't imagine hanging out with 100% women all the time!
Maybe its a sexist thing. Maybe ore women prefer to be taken care of than men. Maybe most men would rather be taking care of themselves, doing their own yard work, getting their own meals, etc. And maybe most women after a lifetime of the caregiving roles are more likely to accept letting someone else make up the meal menu and clean up afterwards.

Maybe guys just don't really like assisted living.

Zarathu

P.S.: not ready for that yet. But my mother in law wanted to go to one of those in the worst way; my FIL said no way. I think my wife would go to one, they'll have to take me screaming and kicking.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:22 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
I thought maybe it's because if a man's wife dies, he marries a younger woman who can take care of him. But if a woman's husband dies, there is no one to take care of her so she winds up in assisted living.
I think you're onto something.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
If she had been less stubborn and moved sooner, many problems and much misery could have been avoided. We met a number of people there who were not really "sick", and the place had a cheery atmosphere, rather to my surprise.
My mother has been getting healthier since she moved to assisted living. Before, she wasn't eating right or taking her medicine. I tried to manage some of that, and we had home care aides. but it was very hard and did not go well. And we never knew if she might forget to turn off the stove. Now she gets nutrition and medical care, and she is safe. They also have some entertainment. She is not complaining, except she doesn't think the food is great. She doesn't even complain that there are hardly any men. I think she gave up on that long ago.

I think no matter how old we women get, we will always like having some attention from men. And in some ways I have more in common with men. So I hope if I survive to old age I will live someplace that isn't all female.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think you're onto something.
Yeah, because if women only live 3 years longer than men, on average, that does not explain it. There has to be more going on. Maybe it's because men have more money than women.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Now personally, as a guy, I'm looking forward to living in an Assisted Living facility. All those pretty young ladies paying attention to me, helping me, bathing me. Yeehaw!!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Now personally, as a guy, I'm looking forward to living in an Assisted Living facility. All those pretty young ladies paying attention to me, helping me, bathing me. Yeehaw!!
How old are you now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement