Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:38 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times

Advertisements

when did I start to feel my age?

Don't really know but I suppose when it really hurt when I tried to go up steps. Went to doctor that said I just had that old man's disease, arthritis.

Kinda sunk in I was over the hill, as I was almost 29!

After I got out of service I stated working a very physically demanding job and my pain in the knees went away, just started again resently but still nowhere near what it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:04 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Generally speaking I feel pretty good for my age. I just turned 60 and yes, I am a bit slower (but not much) and have some neck and back problems (and yes the knees will no longer put up with running) but that is about it. My husband and I are retired and we walk up and down the steep hills of our subdivision - walking 3 to 5 miles at least 5 times a week. We do extensive gardening on our quarter acre on a regular basis (great exercise!). We eat healthy most of the time and maintain normal body weight. My husband is 65 and works out with weights 3 to 4 times a week, does sit-ups, goes for bike rides (up and down the big hills), and works out on the recumbent bike. I do the treadmill, gardening and walk but I know I need to add some weightlifting as well. He is amazing and looks great and he has had two knee replacements but you would never know it. Everyone says we don't look or act our age. It is not always easy to stay active and eat healthy - it is something we really work at. We take Aleve once in a while when we sometimes have aches and pains but we carry on because we really don't want to feel old or dwell on our aches and pains or have them be the main topic of too many conversations. We do extensive volunteer work and helping others really does help us to focus on other people rather than our little aches and pains or other imperfections of life.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times
I gained weight do to my R.A. and came down with diabetes, my Dr wanted to have me start shooting insulin or lose weight.
I started to ride a bicycle daily and do sit ups in a "AB-LOUNGER" by doing this along with watching what I ate & pain meds that allowed me to exercise I started to loose weight and feel better so I am feeling a lot younger than I used to but old is old and we cant do much more than try . mentally I feel 20 years old and get disappointed when I no longer can do the things that are limited to healthy young people!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
I was slowing down after my mid fifties had passed and I was working second shift, sleepy at lunch time, tired in the AM, and letting some of the outside chores go on the waiting list. I retired in 07 at age 62, sold my house, put my stuff in storage, lived with my wife's in laws for two months, bought another house an hour south of where I was living and then my wife died four months later. Life became very quiet, and I became very old. Stress is the one thing that probably shortens our lives like nothing else, it is the leading cause of suicide in older Americans and it leads to poor health and depression, if you read this forum much you'll see the enormous amount of stress that seems to be part of the pre retirement process.

The velocity of our lives sometimes prevents us from really taking stock of those things that define a contented life, most americans could be easier on themselves but they don't readily see the opportunities to do so. My grandfather, a long time Montana ranch hand was one of the most contented people I can remember. His life was not filled with worry, nor was it filled with fear or hate. He had very little in the way of material goods but he had good health for most of his long life. For those couples who are readying themselves for retirement I can only say, slow down and begin the process early by taking more time off now when you are still working, get into some relaxing hobbies, and most of all spend each day together with the full realization that the future is never a good bet for the deferment of things you can do now.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I am 68..The only time I feel my age is when I pass a mirror and wonder who that old lady is.

I still do what I have done for the past 49 years..Take care of the home, family, the kids and their kids..I am not so much a worrier or quitter when the going gets tough or tragedy strikes I have to take charge because my H can't handle those situations and the kids and grandkids look to me for strength support in those times..

I think stress adds years to ones life..I have a few health issues, but I figure everyone does so I just do what the Dr says and go on about my business of living and loving my family and allow my faith to help me over the rough spots on this journey.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Works for me, too.
As my doc recommends, I eat healthily (emphasis on veggies, grains, fruit), do a cardiovascular workout 4-5 times weekly, strength-train 2x weekly, and regularly do stretch and flexibility routines.
The fitness stuff sound like a lot, but I only spend 5-7 hours a week on it. The payoff is that at age 62 I feel way better, physically and mentally, than I did 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I am 68..The only time I feel my age is when I pass a mirror and wonder who that old lady is.

..........I just do what the Dr says and go on about my business of living and loving my family and allow my faith to help me over the rough spots on this journey.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:12 PM

89 posts, read 132,592 times
The effects of age first got to me when I was 20, even more when I was 30. Now I'm 58 and I feel much better than I did then. I guess because of yoga and exercise.

A lot of the things we blame on age are just the result of doing something wrong for a long time.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:20 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I don't really feel old but most of my "bosses" are young, 25-30, so I'm sure they think of me as being old. At 62, I'm actually the oldest person in my office. It's the land of the very young here...

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I just started to feel like I'm in my mid 50's .... after turning 63. Don't want to seem trite, but it seems like age is pretty much a state of mind (except, at 61-retired, I started to look at others my age and thought, "boy, they look old!" -- About that time, I began to notice this 'older' guy staring back at me from the mirror.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
A lot of the things we blame on age are just the result of doing something wrong for a long time.
Amen!
Before you're flamed, just want to point out that "a lot of the things" is not the same as saying "everything".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement