Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Thanks for the links MMoB. And as you can tell Tek, both MMoB and KiwiKate will vouch for NV as a place to retire.
Add me to that list too. I love Las Vegas.

Everyone knows the Strip. That's the instant mental image of Las Vegas. I haven't been there in almost a year......and Vegas isn't that big either. The only time I go is when friends are in from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 12:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,068,865 times
I work part time in a very social environment and participate in the local music scene. Other than that......I am still slowly remodeling my house.

I taught ESL for a little while and that was a lot of fun.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,164,175 times
Social activities? They are the main reason we want to move back to the Pacific Northwest! Moved to rural NM and there is nothing down here unless you live in Santa Fe/Albuquerque. In WA, we loved social club and church actitivites, the arts & art walks, and visiting in person with friends. Here? Only socializing is with a couple of other transplants and socialing with friends by phone and Internet.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
I take classes, belong to a camera club and am in a book discussion group that goes out to lunch after we meet. The program with the classes offers trips, too. In a few hours I will be going to an annual appalachian festival with them which will be followed by a historic cabin tour. I teach a class, too, in February and March.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
What activities do posters here participate in to stay active with others? Do you belong to organizations, do you do volunteer work, etc.? About how much time during the week do you contribute to it, and do you think that is enough to keep you engaged with others outside the home?
In my late fifties and early sixties I volunteered to work as a care partner to terminally ill people. I did that for ten years. Then had an accident, which left me unable to work or do the volunteer work; but I joined a very good writing workshop (run by an irascible, but very talent professional senior writer) and it was part of a seniors organization.

Then I emigrated from the U.S., and this mean that keeping socially active was a whole new ball game. Fortunately I live in a country where hanging out in cafes is a major part of life; thus, simply hanging out in the same ones over and over has meant that I have a lot of known faces, if not best friends, to pass the time with and have casual conversation. Some of these people have turned into friends. I have a friend who translates American fiction into German for a living, and we meet a the same cafe every other weeks to go through passages that finds herself unsure of. She has a lot of German friends, of course, and that means since we spend several hours doing this that her friends often pass and sit for awhile, and this has led to another group of social contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement