Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,545 times

Advertisements

I thought about this for days. At age 61, I actually have no regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we rarely regret the things we did..its usually the things we didnt do
True. I did things when I was young that landed me in a very, very nasty place. When I got out I changed my entire life because I decided I was never going back there.

Do I regret doing what I did to get there? No. It harmed no one but myself and without that experience I would not have found the life I have now.

I regret not finishing the decision to buy a large section of farmland in the early 80's when it was relatively cheap. That land is now under a large, ritzy mall. I don't want to know what it sold for when the time came to build there.

I regret not listening to someone that knew DuPont was buying out Pioneer and investing heavily. I watched the stock price nearly double in a very short time.

Other than financial misses I have very little to regret in life. There is one that stands out: If we had known my wife's sister was being sent to a relative to live when she was a teenager we would have insisted she come live with us instead. By the time we knew it was a done deal. Her life would have turned out differently and definitely for the better. That one bothers me a lot.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:04 AM

123 posts, read 297,105 times
i regret not taking time being helpful and nicer to people and animals around me, too busy try to survived day to day living.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 PM

226 posts, read 297,914 times
Regrets? For sure! Guess you could say I was a "tomorrow" person. I was so afraid of going into debt that I saved every penny for those "someday" experiences. Only someday never came. And thanks to inflation, my frugality didn't make me any richer either. There are so many experiences I've never had and I truly regret it. I wish now I had done some things, even if it meant putting it on the charge card to pay off later. I missed out on so many experiences, like never skiing on water or snow, never riding a horse, and never even buying a brand new car. And I missed out on seeing some great places because I never traveled or even rode on a plane. So no desert canyons or rocky mountains or geysers, or even a tall redwood tree...and that's just this country. I sure wish I could have a "do over", even if it meant charging my credit card and paying it off later. As for relationships though, I really have no regrets there. Not that everything is perfect between me and my friends and family, but I honestly can't see where I could have done better. Great subject. It's good to reflect on the choices we made now and then. Hopefully we'll learn from our mistakes and make better choices from here on out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement