Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 05:18 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Part of the original article was why do seniors actually vote against their own interests.
As you know there are "senior citizen centers" throughout the country, run locally by city, township, or county. These are places for seniors to gather, learn, get info pertinent to them, recreate, watch TV.
Many of these centers here in Michigan are running Fox News consistently on their big-screen TVs.
Since I don't frequent these places, the question on my mind is - who decides what stations are shown? I know you seniors across the country have insight into this. Please share!
I don't frequent those places, but I was born in 1937 so I guess I qualify as a senior and FOX News is the default channel on my big screen.
If you don't frequent those places, how do you know what they watch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 06:25 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
I don't frequent those places, but I was born in 1937 so I guess I qualify as a senior and FOX News is the default channel on my big screen.
If you don't frequent those places, how do you know what they watch?
I have occasion to go in on business but I don't make it a habit, in other words I don't hang out there with the regulars. They have a service that I take advantage of. Fox is the voice of plutocracy which is against my self-interest.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Why are we fighting so hard amoung ourselves? I saw this article which confirmed where our jobs are going. No U.S.A. jobs, no SS unless you think other countries will contribute. Recordpub.com - Many American companies now hiring overseas

Old 12-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Why are we fighting so hard amoung ourselves? I saw this article which confirmed where our jobs are going. No U.S.A. jobs, no SS unless you think other countries will contribute. Recordpub.com - Many American companies now hiring overseas
That's my point Heidi, some Americans are in support of this because they don't WORK for these companies but they are INVESTED in them. These are not American companies, they're multinationals and they have little to no allegiance to this country.
So the fighting you see is between the supporters and non-supporters of this policy.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
i thought that the quality of this article was on-par with what i normally read in USA Today.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
That's my point Heidi, some Americans are in support of this because they don't WORK for these companies but they are INVESTED in them. These are not American companies, they're multinationals and they have little to no allegiance to this country.
So the fighting you see is between the supporters and non-supporters of this policy.
Perhaps it is disagreement between those who recognize economic realities and direct their efforts to grow their wealth accordingly and those who don't. Yes the unemployed don't have the same investment choices as the employed do but the employed are the vast majority. If you are watching Fox, Cnn or MSNBC that much you are probably missing the discussions about how to grow your wealth. This is a global economy and companies have caught on and now it is up to us as individuals to move forward if we want to prosper.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Perhaps it is disagreement between those who recognize economic realities and direct their efforts to grow their wealth accordingly and those who don't. Yes the unemployed don't have the same investment choices as the employed do but the employed are the vast majority. If you are watching Fox, Cnn or MSNBC that much you are probably missing the discussions about how to grow your wealth. This is a global economy and companies have caught on and now it is up to us as individuals to move forward if we want to prosper.
In other words leave nationalism behind! Invest in multinationals. Take advantage of the slave labor in other countries for your own enrichment. Forget about ideological differences and human rights. Embrace peasant child labor in foreign lands because that's the path to your individual prosperity as an investor. You grow your wealth by joining the investor class and the worker class is at your service, no matter where they are in the world. It's the new reality so go with it!
There is no longer a United States of America, there is only a global base for your corporate headquarters in a jurisdiction which is friendly to it.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
In other words leave nationalism behind! Invest in multinationals. Take advantage of the slave labor in other countries for your own enrichment. Forget about ideological differences and human rights. Embrace peasant child labor in foreign lands because that's the path to your individual prosperity as an investor. You grow your wealth by joining the investor class and the worker class is at your service, no matter where they are in the world. It's the new reality so go with it!
There is no longer a United States of America, there is only a global base for your corporate headquarters in a jurisdiction which is friendly to it.
It is up to the individual to decide the constraints they place on their portfolio as they try to grow it for a comfortable retirement. You have yours and others have theirs. You are comfortable with your return and hopefully they are with theirs. I am!

Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM

For those interested in socially responsible investing.
Socially Responsible Large Cap Equity Funds
Quote:
If you're looking for a mutual fund that applies socially responsible strategies and invests in large companies, here's a list of large-cap funds. The managers of these funds primarily buy shares in corporations with a total market capitalization of more than $10 billion.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
And if you were King/Queen for a day - you would do what? First thing I'd do is close Forever XXI (which I had never heard of before this year - but if you think Walmart is bad - this one takes the gold medal). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement