Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much income do you think you need annually to retire?
Less than $40,000 92 27.63%
At or over $40,000 52 15.62%
At or over $50,000 86 25.83%
More than $75,000 103 30.93%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,517,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So what your saying, if I am getting this correctly, is that Canadians pay more more than Americans pay for health coverage. And they appear to get less [or worse] coverage in the process.

Hmm, pay more, and be 'guaranteed' to receive worse care?
Best I can tell - it depends on individual circumstances. But - overall - I think the average senior (or senior couple) in the US who has worked most of his/her/their life as middle income (in terms of SS/Medicare/etc.) is better off here than there. We've paid (and are paying) less - and are getting more.

OTOH - both systems are going broke IMO - and neither is sustainable without a major overhaul. It will be interesting to see how both countries deal with the demographic crisis. Robyn

P.S. I have never in my life seen a 4 to a room long term care facility. The one where my late FIL lived for 2 1/2 years was basically 1 per room - the place did have a few double rooms for spouses/siblings/friends - etc. Also - my last hospitalization (only my second ever - and it was only overnight) was at Mayo JAX. All the rooms there are singles. And if you're on Medicare - and have a high end Medigap supplement policy - you can basically go to any of the 3 Mayo facilities in the US without paying anything out of pocket. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 06:01 PM

584 posts, read 1,690,334 times
Income taxes comes out directly from each pay cheque, but the pay stub shows how much income tax is deducted, how much deduction for employment insurance, how much deduction for CPP (Canada Pension Plan) ...

Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Actually, it is my understanding that Canada has a lot of walk in clinics that you can go to without an appointment. They take care of the more common stuff, where a hospital is not necessary. I wonder if Snowbird was referring to one of these as opposed to a major hospital. But maybe if a major hospital was closer and more convenient to get to they chose that instead. I don't know. Here if you have a problem, and you can't get in to see your doctor right away, they tell you to go to the emergency room.

As for them being poor. It really wouldn't manner, because they have access to health care the same as the rich. The clinics provide immediate help for things that can't wait two weeks to see your primary.
I just lost my post b/c of the internet and now I have to type it again, so make it short.

Toronto has lots of walk in clinics.

Those 20's 30's lived in the neighbourhood. I talked to one of them in the waiting room and she just lived nearby.

One young man in his 20's who accompanied by his girlfriend in ER, he was seen by doctor in ER, discharged and I heard him saying something like "naval infection". Obviously he didn't have to go to ER.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:26 PM

Doctors in Toronto still accept patients (some doctors), my family doctor still accepts patients. So if they don't mind looking around, they should be able to find family doctors.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM

The only actual $ I have seen so far was what Modhatter posted. From that chart, it costs a lot in the US compared to the rest of other countries on the same chart.

I don't know about the States but not everyone in Canada are fully employed for 40 years, there are people (don't know how many) who are under employed. So if they were in the US they wouldn't have qualify and/or have enough money to pay $10,000/year for Medicare. That's my analogy.

So I think it's better off to be in Canada if one is not wealthy, rich, upper middle class or perhaps middle class.

My 2 cents !

Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM

I still think Canadians pay less in health care costs (also based on what Modhatter posted) but get universal health care.

Canadians can upgrade to semi private room (2 beds) or private room (1 bed) and pay for it.

I finally made an effort to dig out a package given to me by a CCAC worker for long term care:

Basic (4 beds/room): $1619.08 (hmmm, my memory was quite good as I posted $1600 earlier)
Semi private (2 beds/room): $1862.41
Private (1 bed/room): $2166.58

I suppose an average stay in long term care is 2 years before one kicks the bucket. So one might want to spare $50,000 for the final 2 yrs for private room

Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,477,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Except for the fact that health care in the US is "for profit" and in Canada it is not. That's why in the US the costs are so high. The insurance companies do everything they can to make as much profit as they can without regard for the patients. That means cut costs, deny treatment, dump you from the policy if you get too expensive. Health care costs in the US are completely out of control because the insurance companies drive & control everything.

How can it be explained that prescription drugs are so much cheaper in Canada & the rest of the world than they are in the US leading seniors to cross the border to obtain prescriptions that they can't afford in the US?
But it isn't the insurance companies that drive the costs out of control. They would rather see smaller bills because they are the ones doing the paying and not the billing.

Ask yourself. "Just who is doing the charging of these bills?"

Surely it isn't the organization that has to pay them.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM

37,494 posts, read 61,477,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Income taxes comes out directly from each pay cheque, but the pay stub shows how much income tax is deducted, how much deduction for employment insurance, how much deduction for CPP (Canada Pension Plan) ...
It is the same here among higher earning wage-slaves. Their taxes are with-held directly from their pay.

But that assumes their pay is high enough to be taxed, and not pensioners, of course.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Doctors in Toronto still accept patients (some doctors), my family doctor still accepts patients. So if they don't mind looking around, they should be able to find family doctors.
I think that most doctors in clinics everywhere accept patients.

My PCP does.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
The only actual $ I have seen so far was what Modhatter posted. From that chart, it costs a lot in the US compared to the rest of other countries on the same chart.

I don't know about the States but not everyone in Canada are fully employed for 40 years, there are people (don't know how many) who are under employed. So if they were in the US they wouldn't have qualify and/or have enough money to pay $10,000/year for Medicare. That's my analogy.

So I think it's better off to be in Canada if one is not wealthy, rich, upper middle class or perhaps middle class.

My 2 cents !
I chose a career where it is common to be forced onto pension after 20-years.

I would certainly hate having to work for 40-years. But it was my choice.

I am not wealthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement