Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times

Advertisements

Can't do much about prices, we either have to pay it, or go without. As far as the sneeze, I have learned the hard way not to say anything (but I'm still not good at this) because every time I do, the other person only ends up going balistic on me. But I definitely would have gone back to the counter and told them what happened, and asked if they would mind replacing the coffee, I'm sure most places will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 06:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Interesting dilemma, which on reflection is similar to daily events that seem to progressively 'change' our lives for the worse daily.

Prices ARE going up quickly and whether it is caused by inflation, greed or higher costs doesn't matter. At the end of the day, we are still paying over $4 for a gallon of gas and $1.50 for a cookie ... and more for everything else in the process. I believe this is simply part of the fallout from the economic situation in our country ... and it's not going to get better soon. So, we probably need to readjust our priorities and bring them into line with our resources --- and move on.

The lack of common courtesy and civility seems almost epidemic. Everyone seems to either be in a hurry or distracted by their electronic gadgets and other 'sensory input'...so much so, that I wonder if we aren't losing our eye-to-eye, heart-level concern and connection with others (or they for us). When was the last time you said "Thank You" to someone ... and got more than a "No Problem" or "That's Okay" response? (Hasn't anyone under 40 heard about "You're welcome" or "My pleasure?" -- How often do we send emails to the person next door or in the next office, rather than simply talk to them ... even on the phone?

I'm not trying to make 'mountains out of mole hills', but, I believe the "trivial" event involving the price of cookies and a sneeze ... is only like the ripples on the pond of life, and not an isolated event. Individually, these things seem 'trivial' and not worth worrying about, but, collectively, they take a toll.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Absolutely not in my book. I prefer being called ma'am over "guys". I had my sons call any woman they didn't know: ma'am or miss out of politeness. Same with sir. I got my first senior discount the other day without having to request it - made me chuckle.
The young guy at the local liquor store where I get my red wine always gets a kick (and knows I get a kick) out of asking me for my I.D. He's the greatest.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Interesting dilemma, which on reflection is similar to daily events that seem to progressively 'change' our lives for the worse daily.

Prices ARE going up quickly and whether it is caused by inflation, greed or higher costs doesn't matter. At the end of the day, we are still paying over $4 for a gallon of gas and $1.50 for a cookie ... and more for everything else in the process. I believe this is simply part of the fallout from the economic situation in our country ... and it's not going to get better soon. So, we probably need to readjust our priorities and bring them into line with our resources --- and move on.

The lack of common courtesy and civility seems almost epidemic. Everyone seems to either be in a hurry or distracted by their electronic gadgets and other 'sensory input'...so much so, that I wonder if we aren't losing our eye-to-eye, heart-level concern and connection with others (or they for us). When was the last time you said "Thank You" to someone ... and got more than a "No Problem" or "That's Okay" response? How often do we send emails to the person next door or in the next office, rather than simply talk to them ... even on the phone?

I'm not trying to make 'mountains out of mole hills', but, I believe the "trivial" event involving the price of cookies and a sneeze ... is more like ripples on the pond of life, and not an isolated event.
After a week of musing on what happened (and I will let it go, promise), I think I'm mostly steamed about the 50% price hike on my small cookie, and the tiny cup that was once the dollar size and now $1.25 he only filled up to slightly more than half a cup. I could've dismissed the sneeze incident if the price hadn't got out of hand so quickly.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A. What would you have done if you were really mad about the overnight price hikes?

B. What would you have done about the big sneeze in your coffee?
An aside: While I was on vacation a llama stuck its head in the driver's side window of my car, leaned over my lap and sneezed llama snot all over the inside of the passenger side door (not kidding). All I could do was say, "EWWWW!" Sometimes, we're just helpless.

The price of food is being hiked as it relates to oil prices. It costs more money to transport products/ingredients to and from the store and those increases are being passed down to you in the cost of products/food. To those who say if we drill now we won't see the benefits for 10 years all I have to say is they said the same thing 10 years ago.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
An aside: While I was on vacation a llama stuck its head in the driver's side window of my car, leaned over my lap and sneezed llama snot all over the inside of the passenger side door (not kidding). All I could do was say, "EWWWW!" Sometimes, we're just helpless.

That is absolutely a riot. I wish I could have seen this!

The price of food is being hiked as it relates to oil prices. It costs more money to transport products/ingredients to and from the store and those increases are being passed down to you in the cost of products/food. To those who say if we drill now we won't see the benefits for 10 years all I have to say is they said the same thing 10 years ago.
This is an upscale college town and so any coffee shop or bakery is going to charge more than those in smaller towns like where I am now moving from. I don't argue a price hike, but that hike on the coffee and winding up with only half a cup (I didn't have the nerve to say fill'er up) was a ripoff IMO. After I got the new coffee following the sneeze, it was still half a cup and we're talking about almost a bathroom size paper cup, and the cookie was the size of a half dollar. So, for $3.50, I would have gotten two big sips of coffee and two bites of a cookie--except I got neither, as my dog took a tiny piece of the cookie and (totally unlike her) proceeded to barf all over the front seat! (somehow I didn't want anything after that).

I am letting it go, I am letting it go....

Old 05-24-2011, 09:06 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
This is an upscale college town and so any coffee shop or bakery is going to charge more than those in smaller towns like where I am now moving from. I don't argue a price hike, but that hike on the coffee and winding up with only half a cup (I didn't have the nerve to say fill'er up) was a ripoff IMO. After I got the new coffee following the sneeze, it was still half a cup and we're talking about almost a bathroom size paper cup, and the cookie was the size of a half dollar. So, for $3.50, I would have gotten two big sips of coffee and two bites of a cookie--except I got neither, as my dog took a tiny piece of the cookie and (totally unlike her) proceeded to barf all over the front seat! (somehow I didn't want anything after that).

I am letting it go, I am letting it go....
Don't let it go entirely. Does the coffee shop have a website where you can contact them? Heck, send them an email. They won't know that people are upset with their price changes if no one says anything. Can't hurt...

Old 05-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
Don't let it go entirely. Does the coffee shop have a website where you can contact them? Heck, send them an email. They won't know that people are upset with their price changes if no one says anything. Can't hurt...
Very good idea. Again, a reasonable price hike on everything is to be expected but that was a bit much. What will that same tiny coffee and cookie cost in 5 years??

Old 05-24-2011, 10:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

That's no dilemma; that's a distinction. Until now, I had never heard of anyone who reeceived the effluvia of a llama sneeze, either in or out of a car.

Admit it; you're proud.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here in nyc compared to what goes in food a sneeze is a good thing.
Really? Where i live which granted is New York;the clerk would more likely offer a repalcement. I have even dropped one"ole fart that I am" and had the clerk say don't bother we will clean it up and give me a new drink. Quite common round here that I have seen;no matter the age.Seen it many times with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement