Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,743,158 times

Advertisements

I was not sure whether to post this to the Exercise board, or here. But looking over there, there is a lot of focus on weight-loss and intense training. So, I decided to start this thread here, in the Retirement board.

How do you stay fit as a retired senior? I'm interested to hear.

I myself was never an athlete, but was a ballet dancer as a kid, and hiked and biked a lot in my 20's. Became pretty sedentary once parenthood came along, except for walking and a stint of yoga. Took up Tai Chi in my 40's, but didn't do much else.

Finally, since I've been retired at age 60, I have started to try to become fitter and healthier. I still do Tai Chi, I do simple dumbbells for upper-body strength, I do some Qi Gong for metabolic stimulation, I do some Pilates for my core, and I do a stationary bike. And I walk a lot. In summer I try to swim, but I've never been a lap swimmer.

I hope to supplement the stationary bike with a real one when we winter in Florida--I have a bike at the cottage, and as I recently re-discovered, riding a real bike is a different matter than spinning for 30 minutes a day. So I'm hopeful there.

I'm hoping that the Tai Chi and Qi Gong will take me through to old age.

So, what does everybody do to stay fit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,201,929 times
We make it a point to get out of bed in the morning. And that's about it. He mows the lawn.

Do as much as you can. As you get older, you will find that your energy level falls. That's when you need something more than exercise. Remember that your mental health is just as important as your physical body. Get in the habit of using your brain instead of your muscles. It will do you the most good in the long run. Read, do puzzles, anything that makes you think!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
I'm 61 and I enjoy exercise always have. It has been a part of my life since I was a kid in grade school. Exercise has been a major contributor in controlling my Diabetes, which I have had for more than half my life now.

Now as thru my life my exercise has consisted of weight training and cardio. 3 to 4 times a week with weights and just about every day is cardio. I use to swim several times a week but I just can't find the pools here in Portland. If its not a cardio machine it is the miles of walking I do that is part of life here in Portland. Its a very walkable and bike riding city to say the least. Unfortunately the climate doesn't provide the nice weather to enjoy it the way that Fla does. Though Fla doesn't seem all that walkable to me.

I personally think it is better to do both weight training and cardio for overall fitness benefit. Our bodies lose muscle as we age more and more each year. I use to lift weights 5 days a week but 3 to 4 is plenty now. I have a part time job 2 to 3 days a week and usually don't go to the gym those days, but I definitely get walking in on those days.

I see many seniors that do absolutely nothing. People that are older than me and just sit around day after day eating unhealthy snacks. People that would not walk more than a few feet. You can imagine that I have to bite my tongue when they tell me they have no real health concerns.

I'm glad to hear you have decided on making exercise a part of your life. The types of exercise we decide on is a personal one I imagine and what I do is good for me. Sounds like you have made a good decision on the types of exercise that work for you.

Be consistent at exercise and it will defintely help take care of you, and give you the strength and energy you need in life.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,743,158 times
I agree that mental activity is also important. I have no shortage of that. But physical health also influences mental acuity and emotional health.

I also agree that cardio and weights are both good. I would also always recommend adding something that works on lower-body balance and strength, as well as calming the mind, like tai chi. Yoga is good too for similar reasons.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,925,326 times
I have done a fair amount of reading on the science behind this thread topic. The consensus of researchers seems to be that continued activity during senior years is the key to continuing good health - and this means physical activity, mental activity, and human connectedness type activity. I think it is a big mistake to say that one of these three types of activity is more important than the other two. Balance is big as we age, and I like Yoga for that. Stretching (flexibility) helps a lot too. A terrific book which hits the highlights of all this is Younger Next Year; A Guide to Living Like 50 Until You're 80 and Behond by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, M.D. The book is now a little dated (2004) so it doesn't have the latest in research, but it is just so good that I still recommend it.

Physical activity can be further subdivided into cardio-vascular (brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming), resistance training (weights and/or machines), balance, and flexibility. All are important. I like the classes at my gym which use hand-held dumbells because the instructors are trained to include balance exercises (a partial over-lap with Yoga) and to make sure no major muscles groups are neglected. If you work your quads, you should also work your hamstrings. If you work your biceps, you should also work your triceps. If you work your abs, you should also work your back muscles. Shoulders and chest are the other major groups.

There is also the issue of joining a gym versus doing it on your own, although you can join a gym and still do many things on your own, as the two are not mutually exclusive. I didn't belong to a gym until I was 61, and almost to my surprise I found that I really like the gym. For example, while outdoor walking/jogging is more pleasant if you have a nice setting for it, there will be days that are too cold, too rainy, too hot, too smoggy, etc. to want to exercise out of doors and the gym is always there for you. I cannot discipline myself to do weight training on my own, but I can discipline myself to go the the weight classes at the gym. Now that seems backward even to me, but that's the way I am. We have to find something that works for us personally.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM

438 posts, read 1,116,149 times
I have used several different aerobics workout tapes over the years. My favorite DVD right now is Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home Five Day Slimdown. It has a 5-minute warmup, then one can choose from five different one-mile 'walks' followed by a cooldown. If I do these workouts at least four days a week, I maintain a good level of fitness.

I have three sets of dumbbells, but I slacked off on my weight training when I was packing to move (carrying moving boxes up and downstairs). I need to start doing these workouts again soon.

I also do yoga occasionally, but not often enough.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM

8,967 posts, read 20,399,679 times
Well, when Seniors of various ages have physical limitations due to past surgeries, staying fit/exercising can be a problem. I had a hip replacement in '05 and surgeon told me "watch the extent of physical activity you do or you'll be back in the OR again!" I had another Ortho doctor tell me the same thing when I had my rotator cuff surgery done in '07. Wife has had a couple of surgeries done as well back in 2000......and she watches her physical activities as well. We do have a power boat and that DOES give us exercise launching/retrieving it! We walk during the winter months here in Florida......not as hot then. During the summer months, we try to get into the apt. complex pool as much as we can, but wildfire smoke in the air lately has stopped us. We don't eat good, nutrientional food, but.......oh well! Love the Bud Light, chips, burgers, steak, mashed taters, Mexican food, Margarita's way to much.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
I have an active part time job. I run and swim as well. I hate running but I can eat as I please if I make myself do it. I also walk a lot.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,990,104 times
In the past six months with all the house showings (23!), house cleaning, house sale, packing and moving and getting resettled I'm ashamed to say I've gotten very little exercise (other than brief walks with the pooch). I have to watch it b/c too much activity on my feet is not good for a condition I have. I'm at the computer a lot doing client work so I'm pretty sedentary. I MUST get into physical exercise (I use my brain way too much). Any kick in the pants I can get I will welcome!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,053,871 times
We walked five miles daily, but ceased the routine when humidity reached 80-90% on top of high 90s temperature. To replace the daily walk, we do 30-45 minutes of water aerobics every day.

We also do push ups and hand weight exercise. That's just about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement