Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 05:03 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I was not sure whether to post this to the Exercise board, or here. But looking over there, there is a lot of focus on weight-loss and intense training. So, I decided to start this thread here, in the Retirement board.

How do you stay fit as a retired senior? I'm interested to hear.

I myself was never an athlete, but was a ballet dancer as a kid, and hiked and biked a lot in my 20's. Became pretty sedentary once parenthood came along, except for walking and a stint of yoga. Took up Tai Chi in my 40's, but didn't do much else.

Finally, since I've been retired at age 60, I have started to try to become fitter and healthier. I still do Tai Chi, I do simple dumbbells for upper-body strength, I do some Qi Gong for metabolic stimulation, I do some Pilates for my core, and I do a stationary bike. And I walk a lot. In summer I try to swim, but I've never been a lap swimmer.

I hope to supplement the stationary bike with a real one when we winter in Florida--I have a bike at the cottage, and as I recently re-discovered, riding a real bike is a different matter than spinning for 30 minutes a day. So I'm hopeful there.

I'm hoping that the Tai Chi and Qi Gong will take me through to old age.

So, what does everybody do to stay fit?
I've been an active cyclist most of my life and still ride as much as my legs will allow since walking (the other best activity for seniors) is tough for me to do now.

You say you do Tai Chi so I'd recommend that you take up cycling year 'round with your stationary in winter and bicycle in warmer weather to give you a really good all around daily routine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Like many retirees, I have a rigid exercise schedule evey night at 5 o'clock. I get a rigorous arm workout just before dinner. Left arm lifts the popcorn to the mouth followed by the right arm with a sip of beer. I repeat the lifting about 45-50 times each arm.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times
(laughing outloud)......We love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Like many retirees, I have a rigid exercise schedule evey night at 5 o'clock. I get a rigorous arm workout just before dinner. Left arm lifts the popcorn to the mouth followed by the right arm with a sip of beer. I repeat the lifting about 45-50 times each arm.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I've been an active cyclist most of my life and still ride as much as my legs will allow since walking (the other best activity for seniors) is tough for me to do now.

You say you do Tai Chi so I'd recommend that you take up cycling year 'round with your stationary in winter and bicycle in warmer weather to give you a really good all around daily routine.
Thanks, it won't be year round, since I live in a large city and mostly walk here--it's safer! But when we're up north at the cottage, I have my old mountain bike that I can tool around with--I hope to extend that this summer--first goal is to get up the steep hill out of our community, second goal will be to make it into town, which is 3.5 miles away and down a very long, steep hill. That would be a huge accomplishment, since at the moment I'm not sure I could even push my bike up that hill!

In Florida, we have bike trails right near us, and I hope to work up to riding the 4 miles out to the nearest beach--no hills!

Meanwhile, I'm upping the resistance on the recumbent bike I ride here in the gym--I realized that to simulate a real bicycle I need to be riding at a higher resistance, at least some of the time.

Last edited by Wwanderer; 06-23-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
Thanks, it won't be year round, since I live in a large city and mostly walk here--it's safer! But when we're up north at the cottage, I have my old mountain bike that I can tool around with--I hope to extend that this summer--first goal is to get up the steep hill out of our community, second goal will be to make it into town, which is 3.5 miles away and down a very long, steep hill. That would be a huge accomplishment, since at the moment I'm not sure I could even push my bike up that hill!

In Florida, we have bike trails right near us, and I hope to work up to riding the 4 miles out to the nearest beach--no hills!

Meanwhile, I'm upping the resistance on the recumbent bike I ride here in the gym--I realized that to simulate a real bicycle I need to be riding at a higher resistance, at least some of the time.
For "hill or long walking" strongly suggest that you use either a walking/hiking stick or a simple crook cane to aid in keeping you steady or to help you get up the hill. (P.S. there is not one bit of disgrace or lack of character in the use of a mobility aid to keep you from falling or getting to tired). http://www.backpacking.net/walkstik.html#why

http://www.backpacking.net/walkstik.html http://www.fashionablecanes.com/31nat.html

That said, as far as your body goes either walking or cycling is the same.

One important tip: You want to get your heart rate up from sitting heart rate but NOT to "terrified" beating out of your chest rate!! A little hard heart work everyday will be better , and safer, than pushing to the wall every now and then.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 06-23-2011 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I always used a walking stick when I backpacked in my 20's. Unfortunately I gave it up when I had a baby, and regret that. Wouldn't do it now.

But when I am at the cottage, I do what I call "rock walking", on the shore of the river, over river stones of various sizes. I always use a stick then, and a good pair of shoes. I'm hoping I can keep doing that for another few years or so.

Yes, there is lots of information about heart rates, and the zone you want to be in when you are doing aerobic exercise.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I hesitate to post what I'm currently doing because I know it may open me to unkind criticism, but, if it helps one person, it'll be worth it.

Shortly after my stroke five years ago I bought a CHI VITALIZER machine. It's marketed as promoting circulation and easing tension. After I bought it life got in the way and I never got around to using it.

I'm recovering from extensive surgery and havent been able to exercise for a year. I was moaning recently about the inability to exercise and remembered the CHI VITALIZER machine. I got it out and started using it twice a day. I dont buy into all the claims its manufacturer makes but it does help my range of motion. It also seems to help me feel "better" -- whether physically or mentally (or both), I dont know (and dont care). I intend to continue using it even after I've recovered enough to exercise regularly again.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/ChiMachine.jpg (broken link)

Amazon.com: Chi Vitalizer USJ-106 Chi Machine Chi Energizer formerly CY-106: Health & Personal Care

Old 06-26-2011, 07:47 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
I'm 62. I retired recently. I used to run when I was younger, and hike up hills. When I was in my 20's I bicycled to and from work every day for about 25 miles total.

I started working out this morning on my power board for 15 minutes. I plan to either walk up hills or bike or work out on the board eventually every day for no more than 30 minutes. I used to run pumping weights in various curl/press movements up to about 7 lb in each hand for about 45-70minutes every other day, up until I was about 55 years old. I'm not sure I can work up to that when I walk but I will try to get to at least 5 pounders.

Getting back into great cardio-vascular physical shape is important in retirement if you want to enjoy retirement after age 75.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,321,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I hesitate to post what I'm currently doing because I know it may open me to unkind criticism, but, if it helps one person, it'll be worth it.
If it works for you, go for it! Sometiems things work even if they really don't. As long as you are convinced that it helps you, then you may be getting great benefit by the use of your mind to organize your body for you.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:12 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I agree that everyone has to find what is right for them, and something they can stick with. These days, for me, it's my bicycle. I have been riding almost every day for many years now, and I never get tired of it. I live in beautiful Sarasota Florida, and have a great neighborhood to ride in, I almost never leave it, although there are many beaches and nature preserves I could go to (although I would have to drive the bike there first. I also enjoy walking and working in my yard - I do all the yard work (mowing, etc) on our 1/3 acre lot and love it. I have read that active gardeners live longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement