Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 06:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times

Advertisements

After cleaning out several old relative's homes, I have swore I would never leave that mess for someone else to dispose of. If I don't wear it or use it for a year, out it goes. Whether I give it away, put it on the road with a FREE sign, or donate it, it's gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
One thing I found out about, in general, many younger Senior ladies don't like to get rid of some clothes cause they are always "thinking" they will lose enough weight to fit back into the old clothes they use to wear 10 yrs ago. My wife can be like that!
Another thing that will slow-to-stop some people from getting rid of certain things is the money they spent to buy the items. After a number of years, a lot of things lose a lot of value from their original cost. People, young and old, want to get as much as they can (or close to what they paid for it, or even more) from items they sell. My wife has squaredance dresses that she can no longer wear and we no longer squaredance, but she paid good money for them. She knows that she won't get what she paid for them, so we still have them!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
Seeing all my parents have left behind .... Who deals with their STUFF? ..., I want it gone now while I can deal with it and not when it has to be gone. Get rid of stuff and stop bringing new stuff into the house as you age.
My desire, carry 2 bags OUT for every one bag IN. That will increase as (physical) departure draws near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
If you have an active "freecycle" website where you live, you can give things away ..
Someone earlier mentioned a 'free-garage-sale', where you advertise, and then when they show up It's free!! I can see that as working in combination with 'nice stuff'. Just price that stuff attractive; and give the rest away free. I bet you will get rid of most everything that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbird View Post
...I get a thrill everytime I get rid of something I don't need. I love not having so much crap to dust, store, and move.
reps to you! And saving some $$ moving too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
.... I am the daughter of a packrat ... you start serving your belongings instead of them serving you. I have been fighting this tendency all my life....
reps to U 2 ! My genes are definately 'pat-rat' BUT (false justification) Still using grandma's treadle sewing machine (but I likely don't need EACH grandma's machine) Still using grandpa's tools, but a whole shop full

I don't need a moving truck.... I need a DUMP TRUCK.

I will be downsizing from a farm and 3 rural props to a VW van. Anyone need tractors, rototillers, food driers / canning supplies, barns full of 'projects? ?? (28 vw diesel cars that get 50mpg? (I got most for $35-$100, some for free ) Bad Rabbit Habit

Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
"I don't need a moving truck.... I need a DUMP TRUCK." Haha, I like that.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,439 times
I lived in my last place for nine months and because I knew I wouldn't be there long, I unpacked only things I used frequently. When I listed the place for sale, I packed away even more things (including the toaster) so the place would look clean and bare, to the point where I was told buyers asked 'does someone live here?'

I grew to like uncluttered walls and open space. I know I won't be in this place more than nine more months, so I'm even more careful about leaving things in boxes here. Packing is a pain and time goes quickly, so there's no point in unpacking much.

I haven't seen any of my decorative items since July of last year. I'm so used to a minimalist look that next spring, when I move to a place where I expect to live for several years, I'll probably think the place looks cluttered if I hang some of my favorite pictures on the wall.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:02 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I moved recently from a 2-story home to a townhome...spent months literally getting rid of the stuff.

Donated to Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, the local orphanage, Boy Scouts. My neighbors got furniture/items for $1 or free. My neighbors kids got my old toys, etc.

It was tiring but fun. The best part:

The more I gave away/got rid of, the better I felt!! Truly a freeing experience~

Quote:
Seeing all my parents have left behind and looking down the short road to retirement I believe getting rid of STUFF, downsizing items if you will, is necessary as we age. If my father nailed a picture to the wall, 40 years later it is still there, along with many others. Now he is demented and flat on his back in a VA hospital and mom is frail and blind. Who deals with their STUFF? For myself, with no children, I have no one to leave the STUFF to. Pictures on the wall, prints, posters, if they can't be tossed easily later, I want them gone now. Items from hobbies past, gone. The weighty futon used less than a dozen times, I want it gone now while I can deal with it and not when it has to be gone. Get rid of stuff and stop bringing new stuff into the house as you age.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Seeing all my parents have left behind and looking down the short road to retirement I believe getting rid of STUFF, downsizing items if you will, is necessary as we age. If my father nailed a picture to the wall, 40 years later it is still there, along with many others. Now he is demented and flat on his back in a VA hospital and mom is frail and blind. Who deals with their STUFF? For myself, with no children, I have no one to leave the STUFF to. Pictures on the wall, prints, posters, if they can't be tossed easily later, I want them gone now. Items from hobbies past, gone. The weighty futon used less than a dozen times, I want it gone now while I can deal with it and not when it has to be gone. Get rid of stuff and stop bringing new stuff into the house as you age.
The hardest thing for me is the pictures. My mother TREASURED her photographs more than anything else in life. Memories of better times, I guess. Anyway, I have albums and albums and ALBUMS of photographs that I feel I *must* keep since she loved them so.

The rest of her stuff (and mine) I could do without easily. But, oh, those damn photos!

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The hardest thing for me is the pictures. My mother TREASURED her photographs more than anything else in life. Memories of better times, I guess. Anyway, I have albums and albums and ALBUMS of photographs that I feel I *must* keep since she loved them so.
20yrsinBranson

Check out these advices and comments:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...readID=1803443

Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing I found out about, in general, many younger Senior ladies don't like to get rid of some clothes cause they are always "thinking" they will lose enough weight to fit back into the old clothes they use to wear 10 yrs ago. My wife can be like that!
Another thing that will slow-to-stop some people from getting rid of certain things is the money they spent to buy the items. After a number of years, a lot of things lose a lot of value from their original cost. People, young and old, want to get as much as they can (or close to what they paid for it, or even more) from items they sell. My wife has squaredance dresses that she can no longer wear and we no longer squaredance, but she paid good money for them. She knows that she won't get what she paid for them, so we still have them!

I can understand you wife's reluctance to dispose of her costumes. I was a professional dancer for much of my life and it is extemely difficult to dump the costumes. I've sold some but elected to keep most of them. Normal clothes are easy to get ride of although it just kills me to give away expensive clothes or shoes that were only worn a few times. But I promised myself years ago I would NOT be like so many seniors who keep their "work" clothes for ever, looking out of style, wearing ill-fitting clothing. Better to buy just a couple of good items of clothing every year to be up to date and feel good about one's self. The worst part about this aging stuff is not being able to wear those 5" high heels anymore!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:06 PM

150 posts, read 298,001 times
No, I've never heard of a Janeace star!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement