Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 167,788 times

Advertisements

My husband and I retire next year. We are both active, but he is especially, and a Del Webb location with Tennis among other sports will keep him active and happy.
My concern is that I am an open-minded, non-religious, definitely not politically conservative individual and I have seen some comments regarding these communities that make me wonder if I would be considered an outsider to most. I hope to find clubs that I can join and fill my day while my husband is filling his.
We looked at Del Webb at Hilton Head and Sun City Texas, and a couple in Las Vegas – but looking and living there are two different things.
Can anyone now living at a Del Webb community comment or provide some advice. It would definitely be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 09:35 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
I don't live in a Del Webb community, nor any kind of retirement community, because having looked at such places, I came to the conclusion that I just wouldn't fit in and feel comfortable there. Like you, I am open-minded, non-religious, and definitely not politically conservative, and it just seemed to me that Del Webb-type places are not for me.

I've found the answer to be living near a major university. There's so much diversity of population and points of view. You can always find the social and sports outlets that you are looking for, and there's an incredible wealth of arts, culture, education, entertainment, what-have-you.

So I recommend that you look around for university towns that have the climate you're looking for, and explore living options that are not right on campus -- you want to stay away from the partypartyparty undergraduates while still enjoying everything that the campus and the surrounding community have to offer. I realize this doesn't answer the question that you asked, but maybe it's an option you haven't considered.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:59 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
My in-laws (lovely people but we have nothing in common with them) live in a Del Webb project in Henderson (Vegas) and to me it is a sterile, lifeless piece of hell with neat, well manicured if not overly uniform homes. We never see people outside unless it's to walk pets or jog even in the nicest of weather. Everyone is bunkered in.

While visiting the in-laws a few years ago, we observed a sleek, well groomed, expensive looking couple in brand new matching jogging suits trotting up the hill on Christmas morning as we were off in search of fancy coffee. We watched them sidestep a struggling rabbit ahead of us that had recently been hit by a car (that we mercifully dispatched and moved to the scrub brush) without breaking step or batting an eye over the welfare of a fellow creature in distress.

This spoke volumes to me and confirmed what we both had felt about the place from the get-go as being a hard, artificial and soulless place that attracted the same in it's people. I realize that it was one incident but it confirmed our observations in general. Though retired and looking for downsizing options, never is a word that I'll use in regard to those kinds of places.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Send A DM to KiwiKate. She lives in Sun City Anthem In Henderson, NV and loves it. The last time we were in Vegas she gave us a tour of the facilities. We have added it to our places to look into further.

Click the link above, scroll down a ways, and click on the Contact Info tab.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM

42 posts, read 167,788 times
"I've found the answer to be living near a major university. There's so much diversity of population and points of view. You can always find the social and sports outlets that you are looking for, and there's an incredible wealth of arts, culture, education, entertainment, what-have-you. "
What a wonderful idea!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
My husband and I retire next year. We are both active, but he is especially, and a Del Webb location with Tennis among other sports will keep him active and happy.
My concern is that I am an open-minded, non-religious, definitely not politically conservative individual and I have seen some comments regarding these communities that make me wonder if I would be considered an outsider to most. I hope to find clubs that I can join and fill my day while my husband is filling his.
We looked at Del Webb at Hilton Head and Sun City Texas, and a couple in Las Vegas – but looking and living there are two different things.
Can anyone now living at a Del Webb community comment or provide some advice. It would definitely be appreciated.
Tek is right -- I love Sun City Anthem. I've been here just over a year and have quickly made friends from all walks of life. I'm very much like you and I never feel like an outsider. I've joined the ceramics, garden and poker clubs and I golf once a week. I also volunteer at the Henderson library and a local hospital so there's never a lack of things to do. There are at least 20 other clubs and activities at SCA that I'd like to get involved with but I just don't have time!

Perhaps a 55+ community isn't for everyone, but as a single woman in a new state, I've found a little piece of heaven here. My married friends say the same thing, with lots of things for them to do as couples, but a great assortment of clubs for each to choose to do individually.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Tek is right -- I love Sun City Anthem.
As well you should, Kate. In fact, Sun City Anthem was just named the best 55+ retirement community in the entire country.

Website ranks Sun City Anthem best retirement community in America - Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

And speaking of these communities in general, I am always amazed at the venomous responses these discussions always generate. I can understand that such communities aren't for everyone (and in fact I chose not to live in one upon retirement), but I don't understand why people who don't like them always have to demonize them and denigrate the people who live in them.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Mad Man,

I suppose I'm one of those venomous responses. So be it. My in-laws are lovely people (as are good friends that live in another similar 55+ community in Phoenix) but based upon their experiences with and comments about the HOA restrictions (visitors, grandchildren etc.) and based upon our observations over the years I stand by my opinion of these places. I'm sure others will have different views and that's as it should be.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
A lot of people buy Wonder Bread.
Some actually prefer it.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
We have some friends that live in Sun City, Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC. My wife and I spend a few days there with them, several times a year.

The place is lovley with plenty of things to do and ability to be as busy as one wants to be or not to be. They are enjoying the fruits of their retirement which they both earned in the hustle/bustle/snowy world of a big Northeast city area.

It is important to understand what/whom these places are geared for. It is important to understand what covenants are/do/control for any place that operates under them. Especially the covenants and allow me to shout it, ESPECIALLY THE COVENANTS....

The bottom line of your understanding might well be that this place is or is not for me. That is your decision and please enjoy your decision while allowing others to do the same.

In general much of the complaining I see about many things is from begrudgers, especially from those that cannot afford what others have. Snippy things like, yes they have a beautiful home but do you realize they are both working all the time to afford that thus missing valuable time together...such as we have in this small mobile home....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement