Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times

Advertisements

I went from about 98 pounds to about 110 after I quit my last full-time job. Considering I'm 5'5", I'd say that's a good thing. Clearly my body does not respond well to work related stress.

In general, I eat well when I'm out and socializing with friends or family. I eat junk food or whatever is around to stuff in my mouth when I'm at home. Microwave dinners or sandwiches for lunch/dinner; plus two bags of snickers and kitkat bars the week after Halloween; cookies, chips with french onion dip, pecan pie and leftover turkey following Thanksgiving. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I try to be helpful. But don't forget that Hillary Clinton has advanced the cause of women's equality in a very important way. Before Hillary people only referred to the boogey man. Today we are hearing boogey woman more and more.

My mother cooked prime rib frequently; she cooked steaks very frequently. This is probably the reason I like sauces, complicated seasonings etc. The bare hunk of meat just doesn't do it for me. I may get in the mood for a prime rib roast occasionally, but never steak. I haven't eaten a steak in thirty years. They're strictly birthday, anniversary, and simply special treats for my dogs and cats. This is, however, strictly a matter of personal taste.

I feel terrible for you.
Re: Hillary ~ there is that, the Boogey Woman that is. Still scary.

Re: Prime Rib ~ BEEF! It's what's for dinner. For the record, a rib-eye steak is just a mini-prime rib. Rubs and grilling rule!

Re: Premature Chickens ~ Don't. Pickled eggs and beer are a perfect go-together, and I ain't talkin' Bud, Coors or Miller. I'm talkin' REAL brew. Nectar of the Gods.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:

There are those who eat to live; they're lean, mean, and and have sour dispositions from eating food they don't like.

I think there is an awful lot of truth to this.

Quote:

This woman eats a fat-free diet.

This woman eats wonderful, fat-filled foods.
Let's be fair though:

One woman is 30 years older than the other.
One woman is a professional actress who is paid and pays to look good.
One picture is probably not photoshopped. One picture probably is.
One woman accomplished more (like it or not, agree or not) in two years than the other accomplished in a lifetime.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
Since I retired I eat about 1/3 of what I did when I worked. Of course, I worked as a dancer and that took ALOT of energy. As far as what I eat - it remains the same. I do have different diets for summer and winter, not because I deliberately choose it, but my body needs different foods from summer to winter. Thankfully, being retired, I can seriously garden and can so I eat even better!

Old 11-26-2011, 04:14 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Eat somewhat less than I did when I worked, but not differently. Have lost about 10 lbs. Live half mile away from a well-established organic food coop. Diet consists of organic just about everything - skim milk, eggs, butter, feta cheese, yogurt/kefir, organic fresh fruits, veggies, salads, free-range chicken, pork & beef (not organic, no hormones or antibiotics), variety of fish, whole grain bread, cooked cereals, olive and canola oil. Nothing frozen or out of a box, occasional organic canned soups - in glass jars. Rarely eat out - my own food is so much better. Don't eat candy or chips.

Firm believer in nutrition-packed foods as a disease preventative. Been eating this way all my life. So far, I'm doing fine. No ailments, no drugs. 69 y/o.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I used to eat at my desk, crackers, snacks, etc, while doing my job. Since retirement I walk the dogs every day; I clean the house every day; and I stopped taking statins for my cholesterol. I have lost about 8 pounds and now eat just about anything I want. Was it the stress of the job? Or the lack of exercise? Or the statins ? I don't know, but I love it !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement