Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,712,443 times

Advertisements

A small tale from 35 years ago.
Hubs had a terminal diagnosis (from which he recovered!)
MIL had the opportunity to help out with housing as to the fact that our income was non existent, ( I with one 6week old babe and two toddlers)
She thought the current live in would not be able to deal so she said no.

Today she is lonely and on #6

We are happy and going strong, I know if this were to ever occur in my children's lives, I would be there. Good for you!

Old 12-03-2011, 08:17 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,615,683 times
As recall, C, you've been married 15 years or thereabouts, so this SD had a one-year old (now 16) at the time you guys were married and never lived in your new household at all - or did they? Your neck of the woods is going to be a huge change for SD and the 16 y/o. Wow - Cali vs. rural Missouri. They are not gonna like it. This will be an interesting dynamic when it begins next week.

We will all be waiting for the updates with bated breath. Sort of like "As Curmudgeon's World Turns."

Old 12-03-2011, 08:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,577,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As recall, C, you've been married 15 years or thereabouts, so this SD had a one-year old (now 16) at the time you guys were married and never lived in your new household at all - or did they? Your neck of the woods is going to be a huge change for SD and the 16 y/o. Wow - Cali vs. rural Missouri. They are not gonna like it. This will be an interesting dynamic when it begins next week.

We will all be waiting for the updates with bated breath. Sort of like "As Curmudgeon's World Turns."
Actually, mother and daughter both lived with us for awhile right after we got married and granddaughter lived with us several times since. Let's just say that our home was always her safe haven.

Yes, they're in for a culture shock after California's "progressiveness", liberalism and diversity. They'll find little of any of that here in the Ozarks, smack-dab in the Bible Belt, no less.

The community in which we live is far more cosmopoliotan than its surroundings with people from many states who have settled here but there are only 212 homes. Outside of here it's all Ozarks with the closest city of any size 60 miles away.

If nothing else, this is going to be interesting to watch. They've been warned!

Let's just hope it doesn't end up a case of "As the Stomach Turns!"

Old 12-05-2011, 07:49 AM

6,891 posts, read 11,281,070 times
Smile Maybe....

The kids may just bond with nature, you never know. Being around family and just having a schedule may be somewhat reassuring to them.

How far would their school be? Sounds like a hike.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:25 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,699,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
The kids may just bond with nature, you never know. Being around family and just having a schedule may be somewhat reassuring to them.

I agree that stability, correct discipline, and love might well stablize all their lives for the better.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Their school is eight miles away but here there is school bus service, at no cost, and the bus provides door-to-door convenience - perhaps a rural phenomenon on both counts.

As an update, they had to stop short in their travels due to the weather nearing the Continental Divide. Hopefully they'll be able to carry on and, perhaps, make it here by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. It's all cost more than stepdaughter figured and her money is running low so from here-on-out, we have to foot the bill for hotel rooms to leave her enough for gas and food. If that runs out we'll have to wire her money through Western Union. It also means we'll have to feed them completely until later in the month when her next unemployment infusion arrives. Decidedly puts a pinch in the holiday season! Oh, well!

Spent a good part of yesterday cleaning out files, updating and speeding up our HP laptop. It's only two years old and a good one that we've only used when traveling. We were planning to give her a car GPS for Christmas but now, the laptop will be her present from us. We'll get a notebook or tablet later to meet our travel needs. She'll likely need a computer for her job search and I'm not keen on anyone but my wife and I using our desktop. Although password protected, it contains too many sensitive files for others to get their hands on it although I have configured a guest account that can be used when absolutely necessary.

I'm also putting new door hardware with a good lock on my "office" door. The computer, two printers and art pieces as well as shooting equipment might be just too compelling to curious hands and minds and I do have a varmint rifle on a wall rack that would otherwise just be in the closet. It has a breach lock on it but no use taking chances. Pistols and all ammunition are in a safe, as are all prescription medications. The rifle won't fit. We've made the home as child-safe (and especially 16-year old safe) as we can. It's been an adventure to say the least, and they haven't even arrived yet.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM

15,646 posts, read 26,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
No, absolutely do not turn one's back on family. That is a code in my world. I see some parents who send money to charities in other countries who will not help out a family member in need. I had a doctor once who mentioned on one of my medical visits that she had two homeless kids (young adults) living in another state. What was going on there??
I'm with you on that -- because my family is all strong and willing to work hard. We all work together. If any of my sisters needed me, I'd move heaven and earth for them.

However, I've walked in the other shoes, too. I got to witness the implosion of someone who was a major user and abuser (People, not drugs), and she got her hooks into me, too. She nearly destroyed our marriage and we came to our senses and made her move along. Pushing her out of our lives wasn't easy.

Luckily, she found another sucker to stick to.

Mental illness is a very very sad thing, but when the mentally ill cannot or will not help themselves, there is nothing you can do. They will take you down with them. And as badly as I didn't want her to be that way, I didn't want to be that way even more....

Old 12-05-2011, 03:04 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,045,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
However, I've walked in the other shoes, too. I got to witness the implosion of someone who was a major user and abuser (People, not drugs), and she got her hooks into me, too. She nearly destroyed our marriage and we came to our senses and made her move along. Pushing her out of our lives wasn't easy.

Luckily, she found another sucker to stick to.

Mental illness is a very very sad thing, but when the mentally ill cannot or will not help themselves, there is nothing you can do. They will take you down with them. And as badly as I didn't want her to be that way, I didn't want to be that way even more....
I've known a few like this also. I pull out the garlic & crucifix

Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Update!

They're here. The wrecking crew arrived at midnight. We met them on the road and led them to the house. It was the best way to ensure they found it as we are, after all, very rural. Everyone was in bed by 2:00 p.m. and while my wife and I are up and about, they're all still in slumber land. Now if I could just figure out how to keep them that way for a couple of months...

Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,754,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They're here. The wrecking crew arrived at midnight. We met them on the road and led them to the house. It was the best way to ensure they found it as we are, after all, very rural. Everyone was in bed by 2:00 p.m. and while my wife and I are up and about, they're all still in slumber land. Now if I could just figure out how to keep them that way for a couple of months...
Perhaps you could talk them into joining your local Occupy Movement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement