Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,996,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
They're here. The wrecking crew arrived at midnight. We met them on the road and led them to the house. It was the best way to ensure they found it as we are, after all, very rural. Everyone was in bed by 2:00 p.m. and while my wife and I are up and about, they're all still in slumber land. Now if I could just figure out how to keep them that way for a couple of months...
OK take a deep breath. What you know is better than what you don't know. Soon you'll know exactly what you're dealing with. One of the best job sites for your stepdaughter, when she's ready to seek a job, is Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com She can put in the exact zip code for where she's looking for work and in the "advanced search" option she can put in a radius in terms of miles. In the meantime, just chill. Every day will sort itself out in the best possible way. Cheers.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Perhaps you could talk them into joining your local Occupy Movement
Inspired!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,549,282 times
So, you now have four (4) - count 'em - FOUR new people in the house. (*shudder*)

Did you have enough beds to accommodate them? What about bedrooms?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
So, you now have four (4) - count 'em - FOUR new people in the house. (*shudder*)

Did you have enough beds to accommodate them? What about bedrooms?
Well, the good news is that the teenager will be returning to California after the holidays. We have three bedrooms but one is my office/man den and no one gets that. Besides, there's no bed in it. The guest bedroom has an empty closet, two dressers and a double bed which is where the boys are setting up camp. Mother and daughter get the queen-sized convertible couch in the living room and we emptied the coat closet for them. Overflow can go into "my" closet in the office. They can share the dressers in the "boys" room.

I installed new knobs on the office door that allows me to lock it and a key is needed to open it. I keep the key! There are things in there that children don't need and shouldn't have access to.

That's it! We made it through last night with these arrangements so I think we're good to go.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:36 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,549,282 times
Ah, yes. Ye old convertible couch. I had one of those always until lately. Boy, I sit in my LR, read paper, watch TV and contemplate the world in the a.m.'s. Don't really get moving until early afternoon. I wouldn't like someone sleeping in my LR. So, that leads to another Q. Where is the TV, family/kickback room? Is that the LR, also?

Sorry to be so nosy - but it is "As Curmudgeon's World Turns." - And, we're all in this together, now - in a peripheral sort of way.

ETA: The more I think about it, the more I think - You Guys Are Saints!!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,492,039 times
Quote:
Actually, mother and daughter both lived with us for awhile right after we got married and granddaughter lived with us several times since. Let's just say that our home was always her safe haven.

Yes, they're in for a culture shock after California's "progressiveness", liberalism and diversity. They'll find little of any of that here in the Ozarks, smack-dab in the Bible Belt, no less.

The community in which we live is far more cosmopoliotan than its surroundings with people from many states who have settled here but there are only 212 homes. Outside of here it's all Ozarks with the closest city of any size 60 miles away.

If nothing else, this is going to be interesting to watch. They've been warned!

Let's just hope it doesn't end up a case of "As the Stomach Turns!"
Or "The House of Curmudgeon."

Old 12-07-2011, 03:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,527,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Perhaps you could talk them into joining your local Occupy Movement
Occupy the Ozarks. Has a nice ring to it . And I'll bet there are lots of nice places to set up tents (parks and the like). Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 03:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,527,554 times
Quote:
Well, the good news is that the teenager will be returning to California after the holidays. We have three bedrooms but one is my office/man den and no one gets that. Besides, there's no bed in it. The guest bedroom has an empty closet, two dressers and a double bed which is where the boys are setting up camp. Mother and daughter get the queen-sized convertible couch in the living room and we emptied the coat closet for them. Overflow can go into "my" closet in the office. They can share the dressers in the "boys" room.

I installed new knobs on the office door that allows me to lock it and a key is needed to open it. I keep the key! There are things in there that children don't need and shouldn't have access to.

That's it! We made it through last night with these arrangements so I think we're good to go.
Gosh - sounds a little like my family lived in the Depression (in small apartments in New York City). Don't know what the floor plan of your living room looks like - but perhaps it's possible to install a curtain rod on the ceiling - and curtains - so the convertible bed can be somewhat private - especially if people will be going to sleep/waking up at different times. I'd google "privacy curtains" and see what I came up with. I think an adult like your step daughter probably needs at least a little privacy. Robyn

Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Ah, yes. Ye old convertible couch. I had one of those always until lately. Boy, I sit in my LR, read paper, watch TV and contemplate the world in the a.m.'s. Don't really get moving until early afternoon. I wouldn't like someone sleeping in my LR. So, that leads to another Q. Where is the TV, family/kickback room? Is that the LR, also?
Sorry to be so nosy - but it is "As Curmudgeon's World Turns." - And, we're all in this together, now - in a peripheral sort of way.
ETA: The more I think about it, the more I think - You Guys Are Saints!!
The living room is IT. Out home is modest and absolutely perfect for just the two of us with an occasional guest or two. We never intended it to house another family; especially not for an indeterminate period.

Don't think we qualify for sainthood yet. But if everyone is still alive a few months from now, I may reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Gosh - sounds a little like my family lived in the Depression (in small apartments in New York City). Don't know what the floor plan of your living room looks like - but perhaps it's possible to install a curtain rod on the ceiling - and curtains - so the convertible bed can be somewhat private - especially if people will be going to sleep/waking up at different times. I'd google "privacy curtains" and see what I came up with. I think an adult like your step daughter probably needs at least a little privacy. Robyn
Funny you said that because stepdaughter just told her mother she feels right at home here. She and granddaughter slept in the living room last night and I was up hours before they awoke, going back and forth, making coffee in the kitchen, etc. They never budged. I did wear jammies, a long robe (from my coronation, dontcha know) and slippers and they were modestly "attired" for sleeping so it was no harm, no foul. They always have the option of taking over the guest room for sleeping and putting the boys on the couch-bed. It's up to them. If I had a couple of Asian screens I'd place them strategically at night but I don't and that's that.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,996,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I'd google "privacy curtains" and see what I came up with.Robyn
Privacy screens??? He doesn't want them to get so comfy they'll stay forever. Next you'll be suggesting he get up early and make pancakes for the bunch. Give him a break, he's already attained sainthood. He's earned his points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.