Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think there is alot to that. Have a friend who was married three times. First was his sachool sweet ehart. Lasted 13 years the divorced by her.Then a short marriage of less than a ea year on rebound. The last time he married two eyars alter. It was like night and day seeig the difference.They haeen married 15 year how.not onyl is he happy now obvoiusly but in fact mucn more successful in work. I got to thinkig and my wife is a big part of my success alos altho doig ok before ;just much better after.
I loved em all, all three. Each time was a Learing experence. Still married to the last one 35 years. Wish there was another one, for old age.( still a romantic, she is not.....anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
It was fun to read this thread. Do I wish I had done some things differently? Of course. But I also recognize that any little change to what I did in the past could have had ramifications on what ultimately occurred, either negatively or positively. If I could go back and make changes I probably would, but I know that I risk doing something that could change my life for the worse.

Even if I could just go back and convince my earlier self to chunk down $1K on Apple stock and not touch it until today, what might that loss of $1,000 have done to alter the direction of my life at the time?

If I could go back and tell myself to watch for those signals I had missed from girls when I was in high school that would have allowed me to have sex for the first time much earlier, it might have saved me from a marriage later on that eventually failed. That was a big one that I think about from time to time. But, I also realize that having that happen the way it did, eventually resulted in my current marriage with three kids in their late twenties or thereabouts that have turned out very well.

All one can really do is amuse themselves with "what-ifs" when you realize any step you take in life can be good or bad.

Garth Brooks sang it best: "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers"

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It was fun to read this thread. Do I wish I had done some things differently? Of course. But I also recognize that any little change to what I did in the past could have had ramifications on what ultimately occurred, either negatively or positively. If I could go back and make changes I probably would, but I know that I risk doing something that could change my life for the worse.

Even if I could just go back and convince my earlier self to chunk down $1K on Apple stock and not touch it until today, what might that loss of $1,000 have done to alter the direction of my life at the time?

If I could go back and tell myself to watch for those signals I had missed from girls when I was in high school that would have allowed me to have sex for the first time much earlier, it might have saved me from a marriage later on that eventually failed. That was a big one that I think about from time to time. But, I also realize that having that happen the way it did, eventually resulted in my current marriage with three kids in their late twenties or thereabouts that have turned out very well.

All one can really do is amuse themselves with "what-ifs" when you realize any step you take in life can be good or bad.

Garth Brooks sang it best: "Thank God for Unanswered Prayers"
Its still all about timing and choices and not so much that "if I could live my life over again " thing. Most of us know when we make the wrong choices, but we do it anyway . Timing is the luck of the draw.....and those Girls in High school ? Most were just too dam ugly anyway !

Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,944 times
I never kissed kay kerr

Old 03-11-2014, 11:59 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,733,506 times
My biggest regret is being raised by wolves.

What would I do differently? If I could be 16 years old again I'd run away from home and live on the streets and never speak to my family again.

Last edited by tommy64; 03-11-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 01:05 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
By biggest was deciding to go to work for the company I did rather than doing something I was passionate about. I agree with the theory that when you are passionate about something it really isn't "work". I faked for a very long time but always regretted it - once I had so many years invested I felt I had to go the distance and get something for all my time spent. I made the best of it and did OK.

My next life - I will do it differently (I hope).

Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Not eating enough chocolate.

I think I will start making amends for that tonight.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
I regret not being smart or savvy enough to see numerous pitfalls along the way.
But I guess they call that experience.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:48 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Regret is a very powerful emotion, and it is one that can affect a person even in the present tense, so I try not to dwell on the decisions I made in my life, good, or bad, that shaped my future. But if I were to express regret, it would be that as I moved into adulthood I failed to put forth my full potential, and instead focused on living a rather hedonistic lifestyle with seemingly no thought of tomorrow. It left me with only memories, but in the end isn't that all we are left with anyway?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Not taking the blue pill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement