Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 03:03 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
On the other hand, I do believe there are places where one just doesn't seem comfortable mostly because not welcomed, seen as an outsider, or shunned. That's a clear flag to move on.
True enough, though it's probably a reflection on the individual(s) as much or more than the place. My BIL and his wife spent their whole lives in RI and took a job transfer (in their early sixties) to FL, bought a home in a suburb of Miami. After almost 5 years they still hate it there, they're still waiting for the natives to conform to their New England ways. And they bought at the height of the FL market before the crash with almost nothing down (equal to their net worth), they are so far upside down on their house they've never be able to move or even retire. It's sad, though we (other family) knew they'd never fit in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 03:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
What I was trying to get across is that there are SO many styles in one place, something I personally had to learn, as I moved to different regions.
There's a lot of truth to this. In just about any town that's big enough to have a few thousand or more residents you can usually find at a few people you fit in with, no matter what lifestyle you have. There may not be a lot, but there'll be some.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
In started gettting this magaine when I was thinking about moving somewhere in the South - it's can be interesting. This issue is mostly about golfing locs but if you go to the "back issues" you will see other articles. It covers a wide area.

Have a good weekend!!

http://www.ideal-living-digital.com/...spring2012#pg1

Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Have you been back since then? Since '93? Definitely. Especially right now because they're extending the metro out to Ashburn and building/widening roads as fast as they can. Still, this year we dropped down to 4th or 5th on the list of cities with worst traffic. Last year we were #2, so it's getting better.
I goofed with the years. We were there from '83 to 1998. We've been back a few times (DH is a native of the area) and will soon spend a week there (through the 4th of July) on vacation. We have gone back usually on quick trips for weddings, etc., and stayed just long enough to remember how much we've forgotten about the congestion. Last time we came from a Chicago suburb. Chicago is no slouch for congestion, but we thought NoVa/Metro DC was worse. Still, if I were wealthy, purchasing a brownstone downtown or in Georgetown would be high on my bucket list.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
You were right about New Bern. I lived in Goldsboro, NC for several years. Likely it is just in the central city, but like any place, crime does find its way out of the bad neighborhoods. However, if you look down the road, in Havelock, their crime is pretty low. Also, the rural towns in those areas are pretty safe, so your really concern should for the most part be the actual towns, not the whole area.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
True enough, though it's probably a reflection on the individual(s) as much or more than the place. My BIL and his wife spent their whole lives in RI and took a job transfer (in their early sixties) to FL, bought a home in a suburb of Miami. After almost 5 years they still hate it there, they're still waiting for the natives to conform to their New England ways. And they bought at the height of the FL market before the crash with almost nothing down (equal to their net worth), they are so far upside down on their house they've never be able to move or even retire. It's sad, though we (other family) knew they'd never fit in...
Very sad and something that has happened to a lot of people with the crash of the housing market. Especially retirees who landed in a place they have since decided isn't where they want to be -- yet they are stuck with houses that can't sell -- or won't sell at a price that's "do-able". We've met a number of people up here in Maine who have retired to Florida after "snowbirding" there for a few years and then not been happy and now they're either back up here, or in the process of moving back. I'm told that snowbirding doesn't necessarily mean you'll like it year round unless you spent some it during the summer. Plus, lots of your new friends go away seasonally.

It seems like the happiest people are the snowbirds who maintain two residences. Having two houses would be nice, but I think I'd rather have one house I was really comfortable in year-round than two that were both compromises.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I agree with you on all. I meant my post in a positive way, and did not in any way think you were making class distinctions. I meant that America is America in most places, we are a diverse "quilt" of a country. Some of my friends would not live in certain places because they think it's not their style. What I was trying to get across is that there are SO many styles in one place, something I personally had to learn, as I moved to different regions. It took me a very long time to adjust to the Midwest, but I had to be there because of a job. I wanted to write it off, but by the time I had to leave I had met so many people with my interests that it was hard to go. It's really quite a mix in most places. On the other hand, I do believe there are places where one just doesn't seem comfortable mostly because not welcomed, seen as an outsider, or shunned. That's a clear flag to move on. As a former journalist, the curiosity about people and their customs fascinates me, and I wish I could have lived in many more places in the U.S. when younger to experience more.
Understood. Agreed. Copacetic.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I spent a good deal of youth in Boston, including going to school there. I am near the Berkshires now. I would suggest exploring Ipswich, it is a very nice community right on the coast and a stone's throw to both Boston and Maine, as well as NH.

Photo Gallery - Ipswich, MA, Massachusetts

Newburyport is delightful and pricey. The downtown is real New England, with brick streets and lamplit shops. It has one of the loveliest parks I've ever been in. And the feel of history and the sea....I'd live there in a minute.
I was afraid of that (that Newburyport would be pricey). So beautiful. Ipswich is now on the list. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I, for one, would love to know why that couple left Monterey, California for the East Coast......

Just because Monterey is my hubbie's number ONE place he'd love to move to - at least in the County.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
I, for one, would love to know why that couple left Monterey, California for the East Coast......

Just because Monterey is my hubbie's number ONE place he'd love to move to - at least in the County.
I'm also wondering and would love to know....I agree with your DH....Monterey is just about heaven in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement