Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 07:11 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Hickory, North Carolina is kind of on the brink of discovery, I think. It's pretty close to Asheville and other attractions in the NC mountains--but not so high in elevation as to get the snow and ice in winter.

Value is there. Take a look at this cutey for $79,900. Could use a bit of updating (look at the colors of tile in one of the bathrooms), but lovely arches and woodwork. Even a workshop.

37 28th St NW Hickory NC - New Home for Sale - MLS #9555730 - Realtor.com®

Take a look at picture 13. Am I not seeing multi story, brick, industrial buildings across the back fence?

For comparision sake look at what $100K will buy in Lexington SC and it is within 20 minutes of major hospitals, stores, sports, universities, etc. I have no business relationship with the place. I just live here.

www.courtsidecommons.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,936,480 times
Hickory, NC depended on the furniture industry for way too long. Now that so much has moved off shore, it puts Hickory in a hole they can't crawl out of. Hickory's time has passed a long time ago.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Well, since the thread is about affordable housing--and small homes--in retirement, I don't think jobs are a criteria...I've always enjoyed my stays in Hickory..and yes, it could use a renaissance but it has quite a bit of cuteness. But your mileage may vary...
Young people with decent or even semi-decent jobs are important if you want a vibrant community with stuff going on. If you want to live in a community where almost everyone is old and doesn't have much money (except for the doctors who are willing to settle in those places) - you only have thousands of dying places to choose from .

FWIW - I agree with Darstar about the furniture factories in NC - but the textile factories that used to support lower middle class working people in NC are pretty much extinct now too. Robyn

Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Eventually there will have to be a new Asheville - if only we had a crystal ball to see where that might be we could buy now and make a killing when it's time to sell.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Young people with decent or even semi-decent jobs are important if you want a vibrant community with stuff going on. If you want to live in a community where almost everyone is old and doesn't have much money (except for the doctors who are willing to settle in those places) - you only have thousands of dying places to choose from .

FWIW - I agree with Darstar about the furniture factories in NC - but the textile factories that used to support lower middle class working people in NC are pretty much extinct now too. Robyn
Yes the textile factories were the worst. It actually was a double hit, first the mills in the northeast closed and they moved all the machinery to the south, then, of coarse it all went off shore.I do not know of any clothing made in the US anymore. Still some things are being made in Canada, but it's only a matter of time and they will be gone too. I would not want to retire in any of these places, too depressing!

Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes the textile factories were the worst. It actually was a double hit, first the mills in the northeast closed and they moved all the machinery to the south, then, of coarse it all went off shore.I do not know of any clothing made in the US anymore. Still some things are being made in Canada, but it's only a matter of time and they will be gone too. I would not want to retire in any of these places, too depressing!
A little but perhaps less true where my late in-laws had a place - Southern Pines near Pinehurst. It's a lower end high end golf tourist oriented area - if you know what I mean. Still - when the textile mill there closed - it basically spelled the end for a lot of stuff. I don't think I'd care to live in any area where young people have no future - so they leave. Robyn

Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
A little but perhaps less true where my late in-laws had a place - Southern Pines near Pinehurst. It's a lower end high end golf tourist oriented area - if you know what I mean. Still - when the textile mill there closed - it basically spelled the end for a lot of stuff. I don't think I'd care to live in any area where young people have no future - so they leave. Robyn
Agreed. Who would buy the homes as people move on to "the home" or elsewhere? Maybe other older people, but without the addtional option of young families it would be a 55+ type place.

Anyone interested in moving to one of these forgotten places, setting up small businesses and work on enticing bigger businesses? How fun would that be for a group of retirees to set up a new town - one that would not be just for retirees. A cute funky little place with tons of charm. I was a project manager when I worked but not sure I'd want that headache again. We have lots of talent on this forum.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 PM

You are both right, been there, lived that life 18 years. We were 6 miles from town,which had 3,000 in winter 30,000 in summer.You were known by the mtn. You lived on as a address, even in the phone book.Views were fantastic in the Blue Ridge. Great place to live, no kids and in your 40s with a business you could run from the house as long as you had phone lines, later access to the Web became a must. Almost no crime, clean living,air condition.,had, but never needed. Winters were mild, or brutal at 4100 foot. You could have 3 feet of snow over night, then 20 below spikes. Winters were unpredictable , yet there were long summers and falls. Long springs also.Almost a rain forest, moss on everything, lots of fog, in all a wonderful place to live. Lots of name droppers, often famous name people for rubbing shoulders with. Everyone respected their privacy.Property tax cheep , most homes expensive, depending on elevation and view. It was great living in a area full of summer people. Winters quiet, country living. Lots of retired folks, most with money, but not everyone. Culture, award wining eating places, and, no bugs!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:50 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Could you live in a place this size? I like the interior.

Big plans for ‘tiny houses’ - The Washington Post

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Could you live in a place this size? I like the interior.

Big plans for ‘tiny houses’ - The Washington Post
You have got to be kidding !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement