Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where is Miramar Beach?

This cottage has my name on it.
appears to be a std "Park Model"
http://www.springgulch.com/images/sg_parkmodelsales.jpg

park models for sale - Google Search

Lots of floor plans and options. Pretty spendy, but likely affordable used. (or repo)

You can often get slightly used (repo, or never set-up) modular homes for $30-$40k, so once the market for used Park models is more common, there should be some $20k bargain houses around.

Used 26'-30' RVs are $3500 to $5000 and a pretty decent option in mild climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:41 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
... there should be some $20k bargain houses around.
I started a discussion focusing on inexpensive housing, and the options are limitedless ... so it seems:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...-000-50-a.html

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I started a discussion focusing on inexpensive housing, and the options are limitedless ... so it seems:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/retir...-000-50-a.html
With the exception that most of the new builds are very expensive, when done. These prefab/Flat Pack companies can't seem to do anything reasonable, price wise. The problem , with ALL the options in price and I do not see it getting better. Face the facts, labor is labor where ever you are, materials cost the same no matter what you build....the only thing on the cheap is a used large gas motor home or a mobile home ( dread).I guess a fifth wheel can be even cheaper, if , you already have the truck.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
With the exception that most of the new builds are very expensive, when done. These prefab/Flat Pack companies can't seem to do anything reasonable, price wise. The problem , with ALL the options in price and I do not see it getting better. Face the facts, labor is labor where ever you are, materials cost the same no matter what you build....the only thing on the cheap is a used large gas motor home or a mobile home ( dread).I guess a fifth wheel can be even cheaper, if , you already have the truck.
The OPTION do add up, but these 'factories' have got to have a very low cost basis in homes, but probably being killed by business taxes / regulations / reporting (the curse of doing business in USA). Maybe someone will get the bright idea of importing modular homes / options as shipping pods. (There are already lots of people building places out of 'containers'...)

But PLACEMENT fees / hassles can really kill you. Our permits have gone from a few hundred to ~ $30k (including 'impact-fees').

There are modular 'granny' pods that fit in a std size garage. (they are not cheap)

As you mention, The USED RV market is pretty cheap housing, if one would like to 'upgrade' from living-under-a-bridge..., but the incremental costs are pretty huge (daily Space rent, vs, your previous shopping cart / cardboard box.).

Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
The OPTION do add up, but these 'factories' have got to have a very low cost basis in homes, but probably being killed by business taxes / regulations / reporting (the curse of doing business in USA). Maybe someone will get the bright idea of importing modular homes / options as shipping pods. (There are already lots of people building places out of 'containers'...)

But PLACEMENT fees / hassles can really kill you. Our permits have gone from a few hundred to ~ $30k (including 'impact-fees').

There are modular 'granny' pods that fit in a std size garage. (they are not cheap)

As you mention, The USED RV market is pretty cheap housing, if one would like to 'upgrade' from living-under-a-bridge..., but the incremental costs are pretty huge (daily Space rent, vs, your previous shopping cart / cardboard box.).
No need to inject your political views here, its insulting !Fact is its less expensive too do business in NA. Its the cash insensitive that have driven business off shore, including all the profits. ( Also to break the Unions )The transport cost, extra packaging,tariffs , all add to the cost of buying anything off shore. The tide is turning, as housing starts are on the up swing. Yes permit costs are huge in urban places and on the West Coast. The bulk of America enjoys reasonable rates, both permits and electricity
Building wall panels here in the good ol USA always make for a less expensive venture. However, the bulk of builds , taxes are reasonably encountered. I think many " custom" flat packs/ mods. are inflated in cost to the point you could build a stick house for less.
RV housing and travel is first class, I know, I had a diesel pusher MONACO COACH. WE LOVED IT. The problem is in places like emergency re-leaf where ( as in new Orleans) living in a Motor home is a big steep upward for many in this country, that do not get a living wage, thanks to Walmart ! The cardboard box people living over the steam grates ( in the shadow of the Capital ) include many Vets that fell through the cracks here at home , shameful ! The others are lost people from all sorts of troubled back grounds. mach to blame are the public and the greedy Government ( big business ) corporates with only one thing in mind,huge PROFITS . We as a republic have the duty, the responsibility to take care of those who can not fend for themselves, instead we sweep them under the rug. This apply s to us Seniors too, and it reflects what we can afford in retirement.If you have never been in a modern coach, you would take a different approach as to what could be the better living arrangement.Its the space to put them that is the hard part, not the FEMA trailers what were contaminated by chemical toxins.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Darstar - I didn't think StealthRabbit's post was particularly political - but your response was pretty political. FWIW - I don't know anything about the costs of manufactured housing - and why they are what they are. They may have to do with business regulation - unions - whatever. Who knows? To the extent that politics enters into the cost of something - I think discussing it is relevant (assuming people refrain from editorializing too much in the discussion).

Note that whether this manufactured home is in Miramar Beach (which happens to be in the Panhandle) - or perhaps Miramar (which is at the opposite end of the state in SE Florida) - the cost of insurance (especially windstorm and flood) is going to be a large factor in terms of "affordability". Our current broken insurance system in Florida is in large part the result of politics. But - since it's a long story - no reason to discuss it here and now since this conversation started as a result of NEG simply posting a picture in this thread. And I don't think she has any intention of moving anywhere near "hurricane land" . Robyn

Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
But - since it's a long story - no reason to discuss it here and now since this conversation started as a result of NEG simply posting a picture in this thread. And I don't think she has any intention of moving anywhere near "hurricane land" . Robyn
Haha, you got that right. I believe in hedging my bets. If I'm going to get carried away by a hurricane, tornado, or earthquake, I would prefer that to be in the unlikely place of where I'm now living. I posted that pic of the cottage because if I could find such a little house within a town in NE, that is affordable, I would love to live there by the time I'm 70 in 7 years. I have helped enough elderly people in my life to know only too well that SPACE is not a concern for most. Ease of access and upkeep and daily cleaning, simplicity and spare functionality of the interior, is my concern, and would have worked well for those I helped or cared for.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Might we get back to the subject at hand.

Thanks

Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Face the facts, labor is labor where ever you are, materials cost the same no matter what you build....the only thing on the cheap is a used large gas motor home or a mobile home ( dread).I guess a fifth wheel can be even cheaper, if , you already have the truck.
You can purchase a condominium in a 55+ community for approx. $15,000. Less than the cost of most decent larger motorhomes including 5th wheels. Monthly assessments can be about the same as mobile home park rentall fees. There are also some seemingly decent mobile homes in the Sunbelt and other areas. I looked at several (online) in Palm Springs, and nearby.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:48 PM

I'm currently looking at cheap aprtments, condos, and mobile homes near San Diego. Finding some options under $100k. Duplexes / 4 plexes are out of range here (can't cash flow at my desired 10% of purchase price.

Interesting options in the region.

Next week at this time I will be doing the same in Hill Country, Tx.

I'm very much into CHEAP housing for seniors, and have tried many styles myself. My quest is not only for me, but I have done senior placement volunteer work for decades, and I desire to serve the populace with an affordable option. Since many of us will never be able to afford healthcare, an inexpensive abode can bring much peace and happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement