Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

I wonder which one would be a good country for retirement that has good health care? I would need good doctors for my diabetes and other medical problems.

News, Retirement in the United States is nice and all, until they ask you to actually pay for stuff.

When retirees' nest eggs are a finite and dwindling resource, rising local and federal taxes can put even the staunchest, flag-draped patriotism to the test. If retirees are willing to leave the states behind, the savings can be substantial.

10 Countries Where Retirees Live Large - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:52 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Before retiring overseas, you should carefully check eligibility for that country's health care. For example, New Zealand offers health care only to its citizens. There is also health health care offered to permanent residents, but permanent residents are only considered to be those under certain work programs and to those asking for asylum.

It is notoriously difficult to get New Zealand citizenship. The same difficulties arise in Spain. For an emergency they would treat you. But to actually access the health system, you have to pay into their Social Security system. If you were a citizen of the European Union or the UK it would be different also. Very difficult to get actual Spanish citizenship.

Some of those countries on the list you provided seem more ready to offer some sort of health program to non-citizen retirees.

Much more research would be in order on your part before you try to decide where to go.

By the way, assuming you have Medicare, what's the hard part about health care here ?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I wonder which one would be a good country for retirement that has good health care? I would need good doctors for my diabetes and other medical problems.

News, Retirement in the United States is nice and all, until they ask you to actually pay for stuff.

When retirees' nest eggs are a finite and dwindling resource, rising local and federal taxes can put even the staunchest, flag-draped patriotism to the test. If retirees are willing to leave the states behind, the savings can be substantial.

10 Countries Where Retirees Live Large - Yahoo! Finance
Guess I'm jist one a them folk cursed by "the staunchest, flag-draped patriotism." If I ever considered retiring anyhwhere but in the good ol' U.S. of A. it was a momentary abberation but sanity prevailed in short order and here I still am. Having lived in three other countries over the course of my lifetime, it was always enjoyable, educational and broadening but even more, it was always great to return to my own soil.

News! We pay for it just fine! We may not live large but we do live comfortable. That's quite enough and a small price to pay for living in a country I fought for.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
One of the countries suggested is Malaysia ... but that is a place I would move to with great trepidation.

Don't get me wrong - I've been there - and it's a relatively safe, clean, and attractive country with a higher standard of living than many Asian countries. The food is good. However it must be remembered that this is an overwhelmingly Muslim country, and a rather conservative one at that. You would not feel comfortable living there if you are Jewish, or a single Female, or Gay, or Lesbian, or a member of many other minorities.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
What, exactly, is the "wildness" that the article refers to in Thailand?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
What, exactly, is the "wildness" that the article refers to in Thailand?
The nightlife.
Bangkok has a rep for being a 'party city'.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The nightlife.
Bangkok has a rep for being a 'party city'.
Thus I left Bangkok for the weekend and am spending a nice QUIET few days on the beach. Thailand offers MUCH to retirees, and there are plenty of desireable spots. Medivacations have been popular here for over 40 yrs (usually for Europeans and SE Asian). I will be finding a less populated region, but still close to airport (not sure if it will be Thailand.)

It is not a Patriotism issue that will force me overseas in retirement... No (affordable AVAILABLE) healthcare after 35+ career yrs in USA is driving this decision.
MANY countries are very strategic in foriegn investment / economic stability, and will be opening doors with welcome arms to USA retirees. USA is very short sighted and has an even shorter memory. This will come back to haunt the best laid plans of US, but to no worry... we replace our leadership at will and very few lawmakers give a rip about anything but getting their pay and pension. (and a future WELL paying career as a lobbyist)

Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
Ok, economics aren't my thing, so maybe I am just being dense. But how is Spain a good fit for retirees who have already weathered a shaky economy?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
I don't need to live large and there's more important things than money. Not a one of those ten countries entice me to even go on vacation there.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I don't need to live large and there's more important things than money. Not a one of those ten countries entice me to even go on vacation there.

I agree and I read somewhere that the 'return rate' for folks retiring in Mexico was something like 70%. Now, I might go to one of those countries for medical reasons: plastic surgery, dental, that sort of thing which my US insurance won't cover. I've read that typically, in foreign countries, it is impossible to get anything done, such as repairs, construction, without bribes. If you don't know the system, you have to hire an 'advocate' to manuver in the corrupt society. As if we don't have enough to worry about in our old age!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement