Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 05:15 PM

698 posts, read 1,052,470 times

Advertisements

just wondering if anyone has plans for the fourth of july. low-key, just relaxing, travel, family, beach, neighborhood get-together. etc ?
my town has an "old fashioned parade" celebrating community in the morning, which begins not too far from where i live. at dusk there are fireworks in the park adjacent to my neighborhood. we often watch them from the back porch. low-key and patriotic!

catsy girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,506,794 times
None whatsoever. On Monday I took my wife to the emergency room of our local hospital and they admitted her. After x-rays and an MRI they did some procedures and Thursday night transferred her to a larger hospital 45 miles away (65 from our home). Friday morning she had surgery and she'll be there at least until Monday, perhaps later.

Kinda rules out any 4th of July celebrations. I need to talk to her about that. Lousy timing!

If she's home we can watch some of the fireworks on the lake from our front deck.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
I am spending the 3rd and 4th in Myrtle Beach watching the grandddaughter perform in a dance competition. I will need to drive home on the 4th to be at work for the 5th. So I won't have much traditional holiday time, but will catch some fireworks while I'm driving down the highway, maybe.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times
Riding around all night in the car with my dog who is a basket case around firecrackers.
Attached Thumbnails
plans for july 4th??-tdy-120622-dog-fireworks-03_grid-6x2.jpg  

Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,129,724 times
We plan on spending the Fourth avoiding blasting any of our own fireworks.

A lot of the country is unusually dry right now, with fires blazing in many areas.

In the parts of this great country that are parched right now, I hope we exercise extreme caution and use sound judgment about exploding our own fireworks-----lets not add any more blazes to the many already burning.

I know blasting fireworks is a great Fourth tradition----but please be extremely careful this year---too much of our land is tinderbox.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,138,401 times
fireworks officially called off around here~ hopefully fires stay low over the fourth. Might watch some on TV.

notice most people who answered are of similar situation

Old 07-01-2012, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,755 posts, read 58,150,330 times
Peaceful and WET here (PNW). Largest fireworks west of Mississippi in Vancouver, WA.
Homemade Ice Cream and FRESH Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries.

But SOME 4th DAY I want to be in Boston.

I really enjoyed a 4th in DC on the mall (rainy and COOL !)

Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,374,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
None whatsoever. On Monday I took my wife to the emergency room of our local hospital and they admitted her. After x-rays and an MRI they did some procedures and Thursday night transferred her to a larger hospital 45 miles away (65 from our home). Friday morning she had surgery and she'll be there at least until Monday, perhaps later.

Kinda rules out any 4th of July celebrations. I need to talk to her about that. Lousy timing!

If she's home we can watch some of the fireworks on the lake from our front deck.
I hope she's feeling better and on her way to recovery.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,987,203 times
Quote:

Best wishes for your DW and her recovery. It's good you're home to hold down the fort.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,677,118 times
Quote:

Best of wishes to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement