Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

Unless you want to drive to the next larger town, 20 to 30 minutes, we have Atwoods and Walmart. Atwoods is expensive and our Walmart sells only what sells well in town. I used to buy off ebay, but its a hastle, and have switched to Amazon since. I love that its quick and I can shop in front of my ac on a hot day, and I have all the reviews of products to read. I will read the reviews even if I end up buying it or not elsewhere.

Even with tax I'd use Amazon. I'd pay tax at the store too, and have to go there and hope it was on the shelf that day.

I did get a blender for a good deal on Walmart's site, with an online special, of the upgraded model for the regular price, not even carried in the store. So I check them too.

But I like nonfiction books, largely history and hard to find, and enjoy the search for them and those wonderful lists of suggested books based on your preferences just as much. I also know a couple of people with used book stores which also sell on Amazon and are able to keep the storefront open because the sales are so good on there. A lot of the sellers there are either individuals or small businesses who can sell to a huge market without having to try to figure out how to get someone to look at their website.

I love shopping if its a home improvement store, got to look at ALL the isles to see what neat stuff they have, or a craft store, plan on a couple of hours minimum, or a book store unless nothing is older than a couple years old, but just shopping I'd rather do online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,480,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
^ If that happens, I wonder if some malls may rent out the empty stores to the local communities for things such as senior centers?

Think about it--this could be a win win solution. The towns wouldn't need to pay to build new buildings if they've got something already built. And malls are perfect for community buildings like that--they have plenty of parking, established bus service, and restaurants and stores within walking distance of the senior center.
We already have one bankrupt mall that was turned into a branch of the Florida college system:

Florida State College - Deerwood Center

Robyn

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
...Even with tax I'd use Amazon. I'd pay tax at the store too, and have to go there and hope it was on the shelf that day.
Today's it possible to do "blended" shopping. Check on line for prices - special deals - in-store availability. If the store you want to buy from doesn't have an item in stock - you can buy it on line - and have it delivered to the store for pickup. I recently had to buy a new dishwasher. After looking at dishwashers in various stores - I shopped on line for prices and also saw who could deliver the fastest. Did the whole transaction on line and on the phone.

FWIW - there are some things I would never want to buy 100% on line. Like speakers (I want to listen to them) - furniture (I want to sit in a chair) - clothing (I want to see how it fits) - etc. Even that dishwasher (I like to look at "fit and finish"). And - if a bricks and mortar store allows me to see these things in person - I will buy from that store (or the bricks and mortar store with the best price that has the item on display - like in the case of my dishwasher). Even if it means paying a little more than I'd pay online. Because I don't want all those brick and mortar stores to disappear.

And then there are things most people would never buy on line. Like garden material (plants - mulch - sod - dirt). I really can't see Amazon delivering 4 cubic yards of mulch to my house . Robyn

Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
This is the issue Best Buy and other electronic stores have, in that everybody goes in to check out the goods, and then go home and buy it online for less. These stores have suffered for it, but hey that's the way it goes.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
This is the issue Best Buy and other electronic stores have, in that everybody goes in to check out the goods, and then go home and buy it online for less. These stores have suffered for it, but hey that's the way it goes.
I have never approved of that. And - one day - we will miss the bricks and mortar stores where we actually got to touch things before we bought them. Robyn

Old 08-15-2012, 05:06 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Doesn't Best Buy have an online presence? Their actual store may just be a front for their cyberspace doings.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Very good to know, thanks. Do you contact them first with a list of what you want to send them?
On Amazon's their 'trade-in' page, you will enter the name of the movie, etc., and they will show the ones they will accept as a trade-in. After you have everything listed you have the option of deleting or adding.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And - if a bricks and mortar store allows me to see these things in person - I will buy from that store (or the bricks and mortar store with the best price that has the item on display - like in the case of my dishwasher). Even if it means paying a little more than I'd pay online. Because I don't want all those brick and mortar stores to disappear.

And then there are things most people would never buy on line. Like garden material (plants - mulch - sod - dirt). I really can't see Amazon delivering 4 cubic yards of mulch to my house . Robyn
I shop online specifically to avoid shopping/browsing in stores - something I detest. If I'm at a store, browsing the displays, I'll usually go ahead and buy there, provided they have the right model/size/color. Very often they don't.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Today's it possible to do "blended" shopping. Check on line for prices - special deals - in-store availability. If the store you want to buy from doesn't have an item in stock - you can buy it on line - and have it delivered to the store for pickup. I recently had to buy a new dishwasher. After looking at dishwashers in various stores - I shopped on line for prices and also saw who could deliver the fastest. Did the whole transaction on line and on the phone.

FWIW - there are some things I would never want to buy 100% on line. Like speakers (I want to listen to them) - furniture (I want to sit in a chair) - clothing (I want to see how it fits) - etc. Even that dishwasher (I like to look at "fit and finish"). And - if a bricks and mortar store allows me to see these things in person - I will buy from that store (or the bricks and mortar store with the best price that has the item on display - like in the case of my dishwasher). Even if it means paying a little more than I'd pay online. Because I don't want all those brick and mortar stores to disappear.

I'll look at what's in the store and see what I like and don't first. I did get a set of five speakers online which turned out to be excellent. which is hooked into the dvr and tv and for music, the computer. (DVR standalone won't play CD's properly and a CD player with an 'out' connector is way too much)

The problem is mostly I go to walmart and if its late in the day the shelf is empty, and should you be able to find an employee they might take a half hour to get back to you to say they are out. Or sometimes they just say 'we don't sell that anymore'. I get some stuff online and delivered since its simpler that way. The one a half hour away has considerably more, but if I need catfood and that's it, I'm not going that far...

I bought my tv as a Black Friday Amazon special. Actually two. The first one was sketch about the dimensions and appeared to not work. I love the way I went online, and it gave me a pickup time and sent me a retrurn label with the money back in my account the day they picked it up. The second one was perfect, and next tv will come their way with the no hassle return.

I don't want to see Brick and mortal stores dissapear, but I do wonder how much of their earnings are from the online side. Likely the stuff bought by those who come in the store might not be if it wasn't there, and sometimes if you need it NOW, you need to go and buy it. I don't think they'll dissapear, but maybe be smaller in time.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post

I'm wondering if, after you got to a certain age, you started online shopping for food, supplies, clothing, linens, and other stuff—and what are some of the best online companies for these items (if we are allowed to say on CD). Do you prefer this to running around to stores? Do you return much/are you satisfied with your orders? Any free shipping? Senior discounts?
I don't know if it's a 'certain age' thing or not since am*z**.com came into age about the same time that I might have/or might not have gotten lazy. I just know it's sure easy to point, click, and wham... it's at my door. I used to love the fun of shopping but now I live in a somewhat isolated area and it's so easy to shop on line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement