Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 AM

106,674 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I have know many ultra-rich in my life. I can honestly say (as if I would say anything but) that anything that they could teach me I was not interested in learning. I have my own values and I am happy with them. I personally far prefer what I have learned from the those who are poor (and maybe not that poor). They are far more savvy and knowledgeable about life. At least from my experiences. The ultra-rich are in a place that I don't want to be anywhere near, which is why I left.
you dont have to be ultra rich. just rich enough to pay bills and have choices in life.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-20-2012 at 02:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
I have know many ultra-rich in my life. I can honestly say (as if I would say anything but) that anything that they could teach me I was not interested in learning. I have my own values and I am happy with them. I personally far prefer what I have learned from the those who are poor (and maybe not that poor). They are far more savvy and knowledgeable about life. At least from my experiences. The ultra-rich are in a place that I don't want to be anywhere near, which is why I left.
if the poor were so savvy and knowledable about things they wouldnt be poor,. they would have been smart enough to deal and work with what was thrown at them.

the fact is many are poor just because they drifted in life with no goals, no plan and no knowledge except how to survive being poor.

some truely have health issues or had disasters in life but for the most part like being obese, there are very few with actual reasons other then doing the wrong thing and or making the wrong choices..

personally i rather emulate and learn from successful people.

just sayin...

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-20-2012 at 04:19 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 08:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
I don't mean to be cruel or nasty but If rich people taught me how to be affluent and you preferred the company of the poor did their habits rub off on you? I mean I feel very comfortable in saying that lower income motivated/disciplined students do pick up good habits from going to school with their more affluent counterparts. The key operating word is motivated. I know my children have benefited from assoications with more even more affluent folks who expanded their life expectations and what they had to do to get to the top in their fields and what fields to get to the top in.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 AM

success usually breeds success. you will notice most of the doom and gloomers on city data have very little themselves or little financial success.

they dredge up every negative article they can find and every meaningless statistic so they can show how if they didnt do well and you did your about to lose it and be like them anyway..

the same folks spend so much time trying to justify their failing themselves that they have no clue about how to deal with things as they unfold to even help themselves do better..

you saw it when all of these folks had no clue about what to do when interest rates were falling and so they got hurt sitting in their bank .

the fed did everything but drop leaflets from helicopters telling you thats not the place to hang out.

want safety? want to have made big returns off falling rates ? buy bonds .

but of course they were so busy concentrating on finding their next doom and gloom posting they didnt pay attention.

now they cry foul play.

i happened to see another recent posting about an article that talked about 1/2 of seniors die with less than 10k in the bank.

really? well let me tell you if i could plan it right i would have zero when i died and bounced the check to the undertaker.

if i can plan mine right ill have very little in assets in my ira and instead have traded the taxable ira money for a nice tax free life insurance policy leaving marilyn a million or more in nice tax free insurance money.

how many by design gave assets way so they had nothing in their name if they needed medicaid or a home.?

how many had great pensions and could spend down their assets?

how many by the late 80's gave their kids most of what they had or to charities?

the answer is we dont know so its all well and good to have a headline article like that but dont start using it as fuel for your campaign as to how impovished retirees are.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-20-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,630,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I don't mean to be cruel or nasty but If rich people taught me how to be affluent and you preferred the company of the poor did their habits rub off on you? I mean I feel very comfortable in saying that lower income motivated/disciplined students do pick up good habits from going to school with their more affluent counterparts. The key operating word is motivated. I know my children have benefited from assoications with more even more affluent folks who expanded their life expectations and what they had to do to get to the top in their fields and what fields to get to the top in.
There is nothing that the ultra-rich have to offer that I need in my life. I was affluent before I ever got involved with them and even more affluent after I left that world. Enjoy their company if you wish. See where it leads you.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
There is nothing that the ultra-rich have to offer that I need in my life. I was affluent before I ever got involved with them and even more affluent after I left that world. Enjoy their company if you wish. See where it leads you.
Please remember I said rich and not ultra rich. By many standard definitions and both objective and subjective there are a lot of folks considered rich concentrated in places that many folks live. Not ultra rich but rich by the standards of many. As far as where does associating with the rich by a broad definition get me? Retired at 59 1/2 and comfortable at that. They pay their public employees more and are more comfortable giving higher benefits because they can afford to and they one the best public service possible for them and their children. The poor on their own without the benefit of wealth transfer from those wealthier are not as able to compete and offer the same unless money is taxed and redistributed to assist them. So yeah you pick and choose what areas to be a public servant in and thus back to the thread topic. How paltry the SS increase is has to take in consideration the benefit it is applied to and the higher your working year pay the higher the actual dollar amount of the SS COLA.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Staying away from the rich and maintaining a value system of fairness coupled with a good understanding of life and the economics of the world allowed me and my wife to retire at 50. More than that, it has given us the means to enjoy life with good health (we haven't been to a physician in 30 years). This is enough for us. We don't need to impoverish people to get more. I give no credit to to those who impoverish for the meager trickle downs that they permit. You can embrace the Siegels of this world if you like. I have to hold my nose until I put some space between myself and them.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:52 AM

well financially if you were structured well then you should be embracing how you did with falling rates but i think not.

maybe im wrong but i think you were one of those hiding out in a bank with little diversified in anything else and went down with the ship and now your bitter about it and are blaming everything and everyone around you because it sure as heck seems like it...

to the point you bring factless statistics and articles into the mix.

you could tell us otherwise but i have to admit i would have a hard time believing anything different then what i said.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Staying away from the rich and maintaining a value system of fairness coupled with a good understanding of life and the economics of the world allowed me and my wife to retire at 50. More than that, it has given us the means to enjoy life with good health (we haven't been to a physician in 30 years). This is enough for us. We don't need to impoverish people to get more. I give no credit to to those who impoverish for the meager trickle downs that they permit. You can embrace the Siegels of this world if you like. I have to hold my nose until I put some space between myself and them.
I understand what you mean here, perhaps there is a problem with how posters are defining wealth in this thread.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I understand what you mean here, perhaps there is a problem with how posters are defining wealth in this thread.
From my perspective, the monetary stresses that are being applied to retirees (e.g. low soc sec increases, higher medical costs) are primarily the result of a monetary policy that favors the wealthiest 1% of our population. Money printing does one and only one thing - devalue previously printed money. Thus retirees are faced with devaluing savings (the actual value decreases while at the same time there is a negative real interest on their savings) and they are also faced with rising costs (rents, medical expenses, cost of energy and food, etc. This in turn creates stress which ultimately affects the health and quality of life in retirement. It is a problem with no good answer. I would certainly not recommend that anyone use what is left of their retirement savings to gamble on the stock, bond, currency markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement