Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

You've reached retirement age and have only just found out life isn't fair?

On one hand, you've had a lot of good years not knowing that.

On the other hand, now you are going to have to do some catching up with the rest of the adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:01 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
We are the exact same age and are retiring together. Ed worked in private sector for 10 years and for the state for 25. I worked 36 years for the private sector. We had the same income and Ed had better
benefits. I will receive through SS approximately 1100 per month; and Ed will receive 1800 per month.

I have to pay 990 for Health ins per month for me and he pays $380 for a family. How can the government support this inequality. Especially for 30 to 40 years. His is guaranteed and mine isn't?
Your parents clearly missed the boat with you. Life is not fair. Deal with it.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
I will receive through SS approximately 1100 per month;
I have to pay 990 for Health ins per month
Seems to me You cant afford to retire.
Or am i missing something..

Last edited by jambo101; 10-21-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,764,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Usually private sector income is better then gov't jobs but benefits after retirement dont exist in private sector for the most part..

those with pensions can actually spend more time in retirement collecting a pension then they did working.

we dont know all the details but perhaps you had more opportunity to advance in private sector but didnt.

That depends on the last 3 years salary made before retirement. Promotions are always reserved for the freinds/relatives of the employers first then everyone else has a chance. If you are in a low paying position you can't retire at the age of 55 with 25 years in the pension system because the higher paid always get a majority of the money and they don't contribute nearly enough to make up for what they take out.

OP usually with State/Government jobs the pension is considered vested after 10 years of working there. Taxes pay a portion of what Ed put into the system with his salary/paycheck. The higher his salary the more taxes are contributed towards his pension. That is why there is so much middle management positions. ei., one person in charge of 2-3 people per dept. and so many different divisions, supervisory titles. Say you work there about 3 years and get in good with the dept head/employer and you move up to a position of authority after 3 years that means by the time 7 years comes to make 10 years you are earning much more money than someone who isn't promoted to a position of authority (management). Now add that even though they aren't in a union they still get the same amount or higher than what union employees would get and that isn't negotiated by an Executive/Governor or whomever is in charge that is automatically given to them.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,297 times
Obviously working for the State (Government) for 25 years was a smart thing to do!

I don't see how you will get 1100 and PAY 900 for insurance though..that only leaves 110 to live on.. good luck

Old 10-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Some good points to ponder (about 40 yrs ago). Things in life change... Who would have thought my benevolent company with 60 yr history would totally reverse their path a few weeks before my retirement (only 32 yrs service).

But,, THAT happens.

Interesting how this is gonna play out when the whining 'Entitlement generation' hits retirement. Gonna be A LOT more whining going on. And probably a lot of people going postal, which will lead to a change in gun ownership laws in USA. I seriously expect this to happen... so sad. Life is that way. Freedoms come with a price.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:01 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Everyone here seems to think that it's a choice whether to join the public or private sector. Not everyone has the choice. First of all, where I live, due to affirmative action laws, it is almost impossible for a white male to get a public sector job. Secondly, at least in my field, the government only hires people directly out of college to entry level jobs. Since they were not hiring when I graduated from college, it was not an option for me, and unfortunately never will be. So I am stuck in the private sector, even though it wasn't really my choice.
But you DO have the choice! You could work for the post office, start at the bottom, sort mail or deliver. You could work your way up. My husband started as a letter carrier, got his BSBA then his MBA and worked his way up the ladder retiring at a high level.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
It always has depended on where you live and supply and demand. I went to work with the Fed at 20 with only a couple of years of college courses.

I started out as a Grade 4. But military wives were the only available source of employees in Alaska at that time. We would take the lower grade and paying jobs just to have a job. Over 35 years I worked my way up to a Grade 12 Analyst. I took on additional assignments and worked for a variety of units. I was never in management.

It was my choice to get a job or continue with my education. In my case, it was better to get the foot in the door and then prove myself to be a capable employee.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
We are the exact same age and are retiring together. Ed worked in private sector for 10 years and for the state for 25. I worked 36 years for the private sector. We had the same income and Ed had better
benefits. I will receive through SS approximately 1100 per month; and Ed will receive 1800 per month.

I have to pay 990 for Health ins per month for me and he pays $380 for a family. How can the government support this inequality. Especially for 30 to 40 years. His is guaranteed and mine isn't?
You realize, of course, that if you had been saving $100 per month, and investing them in a good growth mutual fund for 36 years that you would now have a total of 651,118.43, and even at modest interest rate of 6%, you would be making $40,000 per year in interest or the equivalent of approximately $3,200 per month.

This is why we need to privatize social security and forget about allowing the government to create our poverty for us. If you have a grandchild, I strongly suggest that you teach them to save money so that when they are your age, they won't have to be supported by some ineffective government system.

As for you and your best friend. Nobody guarantees that anything is fair or equal. Get off that bus. Maybe you need to get a part time job since you seem to have a lot of time on your hands to sit and ponder how unfair the world is. Just sayin'

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
But you DO have the choice! You could work for the post office, start at the bottom, sort mail or deliver. You could work your way up. My husband started as a letter carrier, got his BSBA then his MBA and worked his way up the ladder retiring at a high level.
Every month they hire.

My Dw checked at OPM and got hired with the commissary. Every month they have openings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement