Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
There is no ceiling in the private sector. You had the opportunity to work harder and go farther. You could have shopped yourself around, taken courses, become more skilled; you had many choices. You could have left the private sector like your friend Ed who had his eye on the future. Government employees have grades and caps but in return for the limitations on their earnings they've traditionally had good benefits.

My husband retired from the government, he has an MBA, and back in the Clinton years when everyone was making double or triple what he was making in the stock market or the dot com industry, he was making $65,000. We had more fights over this and his answer was always the same, "You'll thank me when I retire." And I do! Every day!
So very true especially now. You get a statement every year and/or can calculate your benefits on line. I was also a member of SS and got my benefit statements from them. I could also use a calculator and other programs as they became available and get a guess about my investments down the road. The private sector didn't provide as visible a path as the public sector but retirement income shouldn't sneak up on anyone private or public sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 AM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
'Fair' is how much you pay to get on the ride.

How far the ride takes passengers will vary comparing one passenger to another passenger.

That is 'fair'.

there is no other fair in life.

You have a SS pension, hopefully you also paid off your mortgage and you have a large portfolio; be happy.

If you failed to pay off your mortgage; if you failed to invest and build a portfolio; then I guess you failed. Be happy.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Ed wasn't a fed.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,860 times
I knew in the 70s that a government job was a great benefit to me. I could have worked for private business while the pipeline in Alaska was being built, as my brother did, and make 3 or 4 times as much. But I always preferred slow and steady to the fast and crash type of situation.

As a result, after 35 years of work, I can retire. Never earned what I could have as a CPA but instead took the pension and health insurance. It is all about choices. I cannot begin to count the number of people over the years that told those of us working for the government we were stupid for making that choice.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Being best friends is more important than who has/gets more money. Treasure your friendship and enjoy times together instead of being envious of Ed.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I knew in the 70s that a government job was a great benefit to me. I could have worked for private business while the pipeline in Alaska was being built, as my brother did, and make 3 or 4 times as much. But I always preferred slow and steady to the fast and crash type of situation.

As a result, after 35 years of work, I can retire. Never earned what I could have as a CPA but instead took the pension and health insurance. It is all about choices. I cannot begin to count the number of people over the years that told those of us working for the government we were stupid for making that choice.
I hear you.

I am the youngest of four siblings, and the first to get a pension.

I have been berated many times for my choices during the past 30 years, not so much any more.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Everyone here seems to think that it's a choice whether to join the public or private sector. Not everyone has the choice. First of all, where I live, due to affirmative action laws, it is almost impossible for a white male to get a public sector job. Secondly, at least in my field, the government only hires people directly out of college to entry level jobs. Since they were not hiring when I graduated from college, it was not an option for me, and unfortunately never will be. So I am stuck in the private sector, even though it wasn't really my choice.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Everyone here seems to think that it's a choice whether to join the public or private sector. Not everyone has the choice. First of all, where I live, due to affirmative action laws, it is almost impossible for a white male to get a public sector job. Secondly, at least in my field, the government only hires people directly out of college to entry level jobs. Since they were not hiring when I graduated from college, it was not an option for me, and unfortunately never will be. So I am stuck in the private sector, even though it wasn't really my choice.
It's a choice to make the best of the hand you are dealth with in life and not go comparing your situations to others. That's the choice we all are given.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's a choice to make the best of the hand you are dealth with in life and not go comparing your situations to others. That's the choice we all are given.
Yes, but you can't assume that everyone working in the private sector chose to be there.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Yes, but you can't assume that everyone working in the private sector chose to be there.
I didn't. I wanted to work for the government too but I was never able to get a job with them. I have a college degree too but somehow it never worked out. My sister, however, did got a job as a letter carrier. She now has a very nice pension and medical benefits. I say good for her. I had to retire on a disability on much less but I never thought it was fair or unfair. It's just the way it was.

What I am trying to say, is that making comparisions is silly and counterproductive. Am I making comparisons? Of course not. Life doesn't work that way. The OP needs to realize that or he will be unhappy the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement