Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:13 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,547,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I totally agree about being fit. I think maybe we have different ideas of what I meant by "feeling too old to work full time."

I can feel changes in my body that make me know it's time to stop working full time--but that doesn't mean I couldn't continue if I wanted/needed to. It's not like I've become disabled or seen major changes, it's more like I'm noticing small changes. For example, right now I still walk to work, but I'm starting to find excuses to drive. I still like to go hiking, and kayak 2-3 times a week (I'm really into kayaking, LOL) but walking to work is starting to wear me out. It's starting to bother me to sit for 8 hour days. My mind won't focus for hours at a time like it used to. My eyes get tired if I try to do the same thing for hours. It's not that I'm in bad physical shape... but I definitely feel my body is telling me it's time to move on to the next stage. I could keep going, but I'm glad that my retirement date has been set. My body's ready.
I used to kayak as well but mostly canoe, hike, bicycle for outdoor pleasures. I'm more physically fit now than when I worked. But when 60 was looming on the horizon I got ultra-motivated. Now, my mind is a different thing. I quit working in an office when I was 52 just because I felt trapped and bored. I started working part-time helping the elderly remain independent (take them shopping, out to lunch, do housework that they couldn't, etc). Did that until I hit 55 and followed my hubby to Africa when he volunteered to train teachers. When we came back and I was 57 my husband asked me if I was going to get a job. Ha! No way.

I get very annoyed at my memory even though I keep my mind active trying to learn new things etc. But physically I'm quite proud of myself as I always keep up in my very intense spin bike classes and some in the class who are much younger than me can't always keep up. (patting self on back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 07:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
So do you feel you are a senior? If so, then your definition would be that you become a senior when you retire. Which is a good definition, too.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
So do you feel you are a senior? If so, then your definition would be that you become a senior when you retire. Which is a good definition, too.
I don't feel like a senior but technically I am. I've been retired 5 years but was not eligible for any pensions then. My nice husband continues to feed me. In the UK I am called an OAP at 60 which means I get free stuff (free bus pass all over Scotland, free local ferry, discount trains). So getting your bus pass is the equivalent of something like turning 18 and getting to go the pub legally - a crossing over. It's a bit of a joke - nobody says 'when you turn 60' they say when do you get your bus pass?

I've started getting a small work-related pension at 60 from the US but don't get the rest - US & UK - until I'm 62.

There are actually some people who have retired at 45 and 50 but I wouldn't call them seniors. There are people who work well into their 80's but I'd call them seniors before that.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
You forgot one stage. Childhood. I'm still very much in touch with my inner child. I hope she never goes away she's quite fun, but my body is starting to have a hard time keeping up with her.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I know these things are about what each of us perceives it to be. But anyway, at what age do you think these three stages in life begin:

Adult
Middle age
Elderly/Senior

Is age a good way to define these periods in our lives?
Nothing to do with age, I think.

Adult = capable of making decision that support a satisfactory, independent life. Some people can do this by age 14. Others never get there.

Middle age = the point where one starts to choose among possible activities, having realized that you'll never do it all.

Elderly/Senior = the point where one is forced by health to choose among possible activities, having realized that you simply can't do some things well enough to bother with them any more.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You forgot one stage. Childhood. I'm still very much in touch with my inner child. I hope she never goes away she's quite fun, but my body is starting to have a hard time keeping up with her.
Thanks for pointing that out........ I bet you're not the only one. And how about another stage between childhood and adulthood for those that haven't lost touch with their teen years?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Oh yes. Childhood. I haven't lost touch with my inner child. I can still be silly and somewhat innocent. When you can't be silly any more, you're doomed.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
So Ameriscot, you've intrigued me. Without considering age or legal definitions--just going by characteristics--what qualities do you think draw the dividing line between middle age & senior?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Birth

School

Work

Death

The Godfathers - Birth, School, Work, Death - YouTube

Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
So Ameriscot, you've intrigued me. Without considering age or legal definitions--just going by characteristics--what qualities do you think draw the dividing line between middle age & senior?
Intriguing, eh? Maybe it's just how you feel? I usually call myself upper middle-aged just because I don't feel old enough to be in the senior category. Generally though I'd say you're a senior when you retire and don't have to deal with the responsibilities of a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement