Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I think you have to really look good in gray, otherwise color.
My natural color is sort of auburn, but my hair was probably 50% gray by the time I was in my late 40s, and now (at 57) it is probably 95%. Fortunately it is a nice silver - although it takes frequent "purple" shampoo to keep it that way or it yellows. That is about as much work as I am willing to do to maintain my hair.

Coloring for me is just not an option, my hair is heavy and thick and grows very fast and would mean multiple salon appointments a month or I would forever be going around with obvious gray roots. I am vain enough to wish it was a different color, but I am not vain enough to do that many relatively expensive hair appointments.

Would I prefer my natural color to gray? Yes. Is that an option? No. So it is the color it wants to be and I am actually OK with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 09:09 AM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
Here's a fund read on this topic from a man's perspective:

Pierini Fitness: Go away or here to stay?

Old 11-23-2015, 09:15 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,701 times
If my grey was a pretty grey then I'd probably not color my hair. But coloring it gives it such luster and body. It's a light blonde and I get a lot of compliments on it. As for saving money by not coloring well I use the Revlon Colorsilk and I get them 2 for $5. I only color 3 to 4 times a year so it's not breaking the bank. I'm 68 and been coloring my hair for nearly 20 years. I've let it grow out before but it was a yucky brown, now it must be a yucky grey. I'm not going to find out! I just recently watched a video on how to properly color your hair at home and wow I wished I'd have known all these little tips I learned. I actually would prefer not to color my hair! I have never paid to have my hair colored and don't intend to.

Last edited by Littlelu; 11-23-2015 at 09:23 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I'm letting the grey take over. I like it. That's all that really matters. When I put some hairspray on, it really shines.
I hated coloring my own hair, messy, always got some of it where I should not have gotten it. But going to salon cost too much money.
I'm just accepting where I'm at in life and not trying to be the girl I used to be.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:17 AM

483 posts, read 665,661 times
Allow me to offer a different perspective.

I'm a guy...or at least I was the last time I checked. In any case, all of the men in my family have gray hair...EXCEPT ME. My grandfather had snow white hair. What do I have, you ask? Okay, you didn't ask but I'll tell you anyway. I have plain old brown hair with a couple very small flecks of gray on the side. My problem is that I love gray hair and wish I had more of it. I especially like salt and pepper...like my dad had...but I unfortunately inherited my mom's brown.

If it makes the women on the board feel better, I also like gray hair on women. Stop wasting time and money on hair dye. I just wish I could swap hair with those of you who don't like your gray.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM

888 posts, read 890,117 times
The thing I've noticed about those who color their hair is that the color doesn't seem real and believable to me. There's an abundance of what I call "chestnut brown" out there. Real hair isn't all one color yet that is what I see among those who color their hair. Every now and then I see that Elvira The Witch jet black stuff which is hard on my eyes particularly when showcased with a pasty white face looking like Lillian from The Munsters.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:31 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
If you use a brightener shampoo, gray/white hair becomes any face. Nothing worse than yellowed gray hair.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
My mother didn't look good when she went natural, and I don't either, having been her mini-me--so I get my hair colored professionally. I seem to be sensitive to the home-use products.

A footnote: My brother went gray early (I was almost white by my mid-30s) and when he remarried a few years after his divorce and shortly before his retirement, his wife took him in hand and is now dying his hair. He looks better with darker hair.

Depends not only on the hair color but the face color--I look better in a dark-rich hair color. I've been using hair dye since I was around 27.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
The thing I've noticed about those who color their hair is that the color doesn't seem real and believable to me. There's an abundance of what I call "chestnut brown" out there. Real hair isn't all one color yet that is what I see among those who color their hair. Every now and then I see that Elvira The Witch jet black stuff which is hard on my eyes particularly when showcased with a pasty white face looking like Lillian from The Munsters.

Yes, I agree and see it a lot too. I think what women AND men who color their hair forget or don't notice that their skin tone actually changes as they age and as their hair turns gray. So, it ends up looking far too much of a contrast between the skin tone and dyed hair. And if hair is thinning coloring just makes the scalp look orange or light red. I work with a woman who colors her hair a red color and her scalp and gray hairs turn pink after a while. Looks absolutely ridiculous.

One example...

Last edited by brava4; 11-23-2015 at 02:35 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
and another....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement