Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Aghhh yes I remember some of the thread discussions we have had about grilling in here. It is interesting in local forums how some of us transplants learn the local grilling culture fairly quickly. Have you perfected any of your own personal recipes lately?
There's a similarity that runs through grilling so the real challenge is actually spices, rubs, marinades, etc. - those and the various woods I use to smoke on the grill. So far, so good. Of course, heat settings and timing are paramount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There's a similarity that runs through grilling so the real challenge is actually spices, rubs, marinades, etc. - those and the various woods I use to smoke on the grill. So far, so good. Of course, heat settings and timing are paramount.
Fortunately my sons are into grilling and I can try new rubs, spices and marinades and when I find real winners get them some and they can do like wise. My youngest and his wife were world travellers and have gotten me some real winners. Magic Dust from two restuarants in California is a family favorite. Also some of the Hawaiian spices are special. European stuff is ok.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
I retired about a year and a half ago, and I cook all meals Mon thru Fri. We go out on Sat & Sun typically. My Mom and Dad are both 91 and they just recently began going out more often, having eaten at home 5-6 days/week. I expect we'll mostly cook at home while we're able, but there's no universal answer anyway. I know someone who eats lunch out 7 days a week, that's her big meal of the day, and she just eats simply at home otherwise, no elaborate cooking.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I work from home, partly retired, and have more time to cook without my former commute. I like cooking. We're eating a lot better than when we ate out a lot...and our health is better, too--not so many additives and high fat foods I suppose. Eating many more salads, fresh vegetables and whole foods. We had oatmeal for breakfast, lentil soup for lunch and whole wheat pasta for dinner with home-made pesto sauce. That's more carbs than our normal eating pattern, but it was really good for a change.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 PM

125 posts, read 228,231 times
Being single, male with a demanding job, I dont cook as much as I want. I really enjoy cooking and plan to do a whole lot more when I retire. Although I enjoy eating out, I have found that with the right technique/recipe/flavoring can be as good or better than any great restaurant due to your own specifications. Have always gotten great compliments. Once I retire, the goal is cook healthier, less expensive meals, than what I am currently accustomed to. Not to say that I wont go out for a great meal.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I cook a lot but we do have many fabulous independent restaurants. Louisville is such a foodie town....with many farm to table restaurants featuring locally grown organic produce, meat, dairy and poultry....eating out is not always unhealthy. There are plenty of local restaurants that are dedicated to serving healthy, completely fresh and local foods. Eating at places like this once in a while is such a treat.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I'm surprised to hear so many cooking at home. I live near a large retirement community where there are dozens upon dozens of restaurants and they are always full.

Tom insists on doing all the food shopping and buys a lot of roast type items that will serve for more than one meal. He is a big eater and his son lives here too. I grew up cooking alongside my dad and it was a wonderful bonding experience. I don't think I could live in a relationship where I didn't have someone else who cooked. I do all the baking. I use those dry packets these days and there are always muffins and cookies around. The two of us take turns being in charge of the main part of a meal or sometimes one cooks and the other doesn't, about half and half. He doesn't do much with vegetables whereas that's where I start. I am making my own cookbook downloading restaurant recipes and others from the web. Otherwise meals are from scratch but simple.

We almost never eat out, not that I wouldn't like to. Most of the time that happens when I go out with girlfriends, or stop in for fast food by myself.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Despite my intentions, all of my bad habits from when I was working stayed with me in retirement. I still get a lot of take-out.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
I cook everything from scratch at home and only organic and grass fed meat/wild caught fish. I never had the time to cook so much, hours each week, when I was working.
No retirement community will ever offer that kind of healthy eating in their restaurants, so I doubt I will ever live in one. Few regular restaurants do either. I eat out very rarely, and then for social reasons not food.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
I suspect for many of us it isn't about cooking at home as much as it is about how we have learned and have the time to eat GOOD at home. Healthier and awfully darn good. I mean darn good. I think of my sons who like to cook and are good at it but don't have the time. I can easily see them when older having gourmet kitchens and making quality darn good meals all the time. The one who lives closes loves to have us prepare food and them come over and grill them on my grills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement