Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:49 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Totally agree. Just this...please all y'all, don't drive!!
But, those were sure some fun times!! Just not what I'm into at this stage of my life.
Amen to the driving part. As to the rest, I like to quote Samuel Beckett:

“Perhaps my best years are gone...but I wouldn't want them back. Not with the fire in me now."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
What I don't understand is the politics of it. Many states in which the voters have legalized medical marijuana are stalled out on the dispensary issue. It's like the anti MJ legislators are filibustering the effort and are effectively preventing the means of growing it at home or buying or selling it legally for those who are legally allowed to use it for medical purposes. In NJ, where medical marijuana was approved in 2010, there are still only about 600 legally registered medical marijuana users. If I was one and had a single pot plant, I would be subject to a three year minimum felony prison sentence! If I was one and tried to register at a dispensary (there are only three in the whole state) they wouln't be allowed to start growing the plant that would supply my needs until after I was approved. It would be 6 months after I got my prescription before I'd get my first legal dose. In neighboring Delaware, the dispensary issue is on hold, so there is no legal way to get MJ, even if it's legal to have it. It seems if this is the way medical marijuana is being subverted, then hopes for legal recreational uses are pretty slim. In most cases, MJ use whether for recreational or medical use
is still an illegal black market sale. The way it's being treated reminds me of the arguments and tactics against integration in the south in the 50's.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Actually I researched this further today and found a NJ.com news story dated 3/4/13 that said that only one of the three planned dispensaries for medical marijuana has been in operation in NJ. Only 114 of the 676 legally registered medical marijuana patients has been accomodated in its three months of operation, leaving the other 562 patients on a waiting list. This is in a state with nearly 9 million people and more than 400,000 of the county's 12 million cancer patients. This is Gov. Christie dragging his feet and showing his true colors. He just lost every ounce of Sandy cred I gave him.If this is the liberal compassion Christie is showing sick people legally entitled to the drug, legal recreational use is still a far off pipe dream.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:45 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Not all boomers smoke MJ, although maybe more tried it in teens and 20s than the average "generation." (Also don't think that "boomers" should be an 18-year stretch of people, but that's another issue).

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
If this is the liberal compassion Christie is showing sick people legally entitled to the drug, legal recreational use is still a far off pipe dream.
Whether for medical or recreational use, in every state that has some form of legalization, the "antis" have had to be dragged kicking & screaming into implementation. Christie is one of the worst in terms of slowing everything down. It's even true in Colorado where with recreational use legalized under state law, the "antis" continue to obstruct in every way they can.

It is very similar to the state of PA's situation with alcohol. The founder of the current "state store" liquor system where all wine & liquor must be purchased at state owned stores was Gov Gifford Pinchot. Pinchot was an agent with the ATF when prohibition was repealed yet continued to believe strongly in prohibition. He was then elected governor where he set up the current system under his publicly announced philosophy that he would make alcohol "as inconvenient & expensive as possible" to purchase, because he continued to be a staunch prohibitionist, believing that nobody should drink alcohol, ever.

If history teaches us anything it might be that those who continue to be on the "other" side of large cultural & societal shifts don't change easily. As in "old habits die hard".

Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Whether for medical or recreational use, in every state that has some form of legalization, the "antis" have had to be dragged kicking & screaming into implementation. Christie is one of the worst in terms of slowing everything down. It's even true in Colorado where with recreational use legalized under state law, the "antis" continue to obstruct in every way they can.

It is very similar to the state of PA's situation with alcohol. The founder of the current "state store" liquor system where all wine & liquor must be purchased at state owned stores was Gov Gifford Pinchot. Pinchot was an agent with the ATF when prohibition was repealed yet continued to believe strongly in prohibition. He was then elected governor where he set up the current system under his publicly announced philosophy that he would make alcohol "as inconvenient & expensive as possible" to purchase, because he continued to be a staunch prohibitionist, believing that nobody should drink alcohol, ever.

If history teaches us anything it might be that those who continue to be on the "other" side of large cultural & societal shifts don't change easily. As in "old habits die hard".

I always hated state stores. Went to undergrad in PA and always tried to get served at a state store and always got carded. Turned 21 and rarely got carded. Always thought the folks in the store had some sorta of mind reader. Got beer in bars and that was different as state stores didn't see beer.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,466 times
Default Retiring in high style

Marijuana using boomers retiring in high style - Encore - MarketWatch

Old 03-28-2013, 07:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,949 times
My wife is a nurse. She says that a lot of her older patients smoke pot. And we live in a small town in the Bible Belt.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
When I started this thread I never thought it would go to 14 pages. The Ad agency that did the Taco Bell commercial know how to strike a chord and what is a chord to be struck. Party on my seniors. Not that I do but for you who do party on.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:36 AM

171 posts, read 209,272 times
Folks... get on board the RTYD (Rock Til You Drop) Definitely the coolest place to retire... I mean LIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement