Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:53 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've researched quite a few "college towns" and just came to the conclusion that, well, they are full of college kids! If you rent an apt, then most likely you would be living with college age people, which is a definite negative for me. Too many parties, noise, alot of people in and out, etc. I just don't see alot of blending with older people and college age people...two different universes. In a larger city, it might work better but a small college town with alot of college kids, I don't think it would work for me.
Old is anyone over the age of 35. If its a small town the university employees stick within their own
departments or with their university functions. Businesses and apartments all geared for younger
people and the locals usually live outside the area and socialize with those people they grew up with
and their families. Note: college towns near a larger city like Austin are more open & diverse.
Quality health care is questionable....depends on who you know, where you decide to relocate
and the availability of good physicians that take new patients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
University towns can be a great place for retirement, but it depends a lot of what you are looking for. Most university towns offer special classes to seniors over 65, the atmosphere is usually busy and stimulating and yes, medical facilities are often right in the town or very close. The problem with some of the towns, they are more than just college towns, Austin being one of those. It is more urban, partly due to its swear size. I think some of the suggestions that have been made are good ones. University towns are normally more liberal which can be good or bad, depending on how you see things. I don't think I would want to live in one, but I do love living relatively close to one.
Classes open for seniors depends on which colleges and towns. Here not so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Old is anyone over the age of 35. If its a small town the university employees stick within their own
departments or with their university functions. Businesses and apartments all geared for younger
people and the locals usually live outside the area and socialize with those people they grew up with
and their families. Note: college towns near a larger city like Austin are more open & diverse.
Quality health care is questionable....depends on who you know, where you decide to relocate
and the availability of good physicians that take new patients.

Classes open for seniors depends on which colleges and towns. Here not so.
Totally agree about the availability of classes for seniors. Unless there is a specific program for seniors, such as the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute situated in a college, and plenty of seniors supporting it, don't plan on attending regular classes at a discount (or very much of a discount). Even auditing regular classes is costly. Plus, you are sitting in a room with 25 - 500 18-22 year olds, if it's a regular class. I think it's better to look for cities and areas that have larger numbers of retirees if you want senior oriented classes at the university level, in a lifelong learning institute or department of continuing education.

I live in a town with a major university and I must say that it is very much dominated by the large number of undergraduates. The city revolves around the university, and that means traffic jams on football Saturdays or other sporting events, high prices for everything, and a downtown that is dominated by bars and restaurants geared to students. Cultural events carry high ticket prices for non students. Personally, I would opt for a larger city where the university or college is not the dominant game in town, and where there are more opportunities for meeting other seniors and a greater range of housing options and costs.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:40 PM

113 posts, read 415,050 times
I'm born / reared in a college town, and this myth about retirement in a college town is all that is quite frankly very untrue. No need to rehash why. I'm about 50 and retired. No way would I ever want to retire in a US College town. US retirement to me is living in a five star amenities luxury Condo over looking the Ocean within 45 minutes to an LA or SF or Miami. Travel at will, exercise, new hobbies, make new friends, sleep, etc.

I would rather live in a paid for cement Tent in Colombia than a boring retired life in Austin surrounded by immature college kids. Sorry, my opinion. YMMV.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 PM

486 posts, read 863,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Totally agree about the availability of classes for seniors. Unless there is a specific program for seniors, such as the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute situated in a college, and plenty of seniors supporting it, don't plan on attending regular classes at a discount (or very much of a discount). Even auditing regular classes is costly. Plus, you are sitting in a room with 25 - 500 18-22 year olds, if it's a regular class. I think it's better to look for cities and areas that have larger numbers of retirees if you want senior oriented classes at the university level, in a lifelong learning institute or department of continuing education.

I live in a town with a major university and I must say that it is very much dominated by the large number of undergraduates. The city revolves around the university, and that means traffic jams on football Saturdays or other sporting events, high prices for everything, and a downtown that is dominated by bars and restaurants geared to students. Cultural events carry high ticket prices for non students. Personally, I would opt for a larger city where the university or college is not the dominant game in town, and where there are more opportunities for meeting other seniors and a greater range of housing options and costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vai Frente View Post
I'm born / reared in a college town, and this myth about retirement in a college town is all that is quite frankly very untrue. No need to rehash why. I'm about 50 and retired. No way would I ever want to retire in a US College town. US retirement to me is living in a five star amenities luxury Condo over looking the Ocean within 45 minutes to an LA or SF or Miami. Travel at will, exercise, new hobbies, make new friends, sleep, etc.

I would rather live in a paid for cement Tent in Colombia than a boring retired life in Austin surrounded by immature college kids. Sorry, my opinion. YMMV.
Thanks.....someone who understands. Ugh, leaving as soon as we can, probably within a year.

Last edited by key4lp; 04-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key4lp View Post
Thanks.....someone who understands. Ugh, leaving as soon as we can, probably within a year.
Me too, by the end of this year.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:

A lux condo on the ocean near a great city! Sounds perfect!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM

NO BRAINER !!

Retire to a small college town in Iowa or retire to a plush Condo on the Ocean 45 minutes to Orlando or Miami ?? Hello !! Sure, it might cost a little more but isn't that why we worked hard all those years? For what, to live in Austin Texas ??

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Austin is home to UT but Austin is a large city,so I don't consider Austin to be a college town. New York City has a lot of colleges and universities, but nobody consider NYC to be a college town.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
NO BRAINER !!

Retire to a small college town in Iowa or retire to a plush Condo on the Ocean 45 minutes to Orlando or Miami ?? Hello !! Sure, it might cost a little more but isn't that why we worked hard all those years? For what, to live in Austin Texas ??
Florida? You want to live in Florida? And then you trash Austin, Texas? Totally bizarre.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 PM

No, not trashing Texas. I like Texas a lot actually. I'm saying I'd rather live on a Florida Beach in a plush Condo over looking the Ocean 45 minutes from Miami than reside in Austin, Texas. However, if I were 28, married with 2 small kids working the 9-5, then yes I would prolly like living in Austin. Where you are in life, the stage of your life, being married or not, and kids or not dictates your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement