Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 AM

6,587 posts, read 7,094,342 times

Advertisements

Okay I am now looking into the possibility of Tennessee as my retirement destination. Doing a search I found a few 55+ communities not associated with nursing homes. Two of the cities are Johnson City and Loudon, TN. They both interest me because they are not large. TN seems to be a good place to retire with taxes in mind. I have never been there but it seems to have a lot of praise from people who live in TN. I am wondering if anyone here is in TN and can talk to the state in terms of climate, population, services. I know I will have to spend some time there to get a feel for it but it is very intriging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 05:38 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
My spouse is from TN, and we originally intended to retire there. We've come to realize that the culture down there is incompatible with our beliefs and values, and so we've changed our plans. However, if that's not a consideration or conflict for you, then TN is an excellent choice, based on all the other aspects of a retirement destination that we generally evaluate.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Not a 55+, but we own a lot on a small (3 acre) lake in Fairfield Glade that may someday be where we move. Even though we keep looking at 55+ this place is beautiful. We'll either end up building on the lot or selling it.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:35 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Okay I am now looking into the possibility of Tennessee as my retirement destination.
I know I will have to spend some time there to get a feel for it but...
This is about the 4th (10th?) area of the country you have explored.
What have you NOT been finding in the other locations?
What do you hope to find somewhere else?

Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think he was looking at San Antonio and is probably now checking out possibilties closer to the East Coast where he is now. Not yet being fully retired he has several years perhaps to cast about and why not, it's a big country with lots of good options. Before I retired I was everywhere from returning to Missouri to NC, SC, VA, and Maine. Quite a wide sweep, lol.

That said, I too am curious about why he's looking at Tennessee. I've never been there, however I've checked out Uplands Retirement Community near Crossville and that area has its appeal. I'm not a golfer but it's supposed to be one of the big golfing areas of the country.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not a 55+, but we own a lot on a small (3 acre) lake in Fairfield Glade that may someday be where we move. Even though we keep looking at 55+ this place is beautiful. We'll either end up building on the lot or selling it.

You are right that place is gorgeous. I will add that to the mix. I wonder how many other places like that are in TN. There is only so many places I can look at before I stop drooling and dreaming. I am very lucky in that I have a few years before I plan on moving. I still have all that detailing work to be done n my house.

Thanks Tek. Maybe we might be neighbors or at least golfing buddies occasionally.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Very observant. Yes we are looking at all the possibilities. I have not crossed any off the list. I am just adding so that when we do make a decision it will be informed and the best one for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I think he was looking at San Antonio and is probably now checking out possibilties closer to the East Coast where he is now. Not yet being fully retired he has several years perhaps to cast about and why not, it's a big country with lots of good options. Before I retired I was everywhere from returning to Missouri to NC, SC, VA, and Maine. Quite a wide sweep, lol.

That said, I too am curious about why he's looking at Tennessee. I've never been there, however I've checked out Uplands Retirement Community near Crossville and that area has its appeal. I'm not a golfer but it's supposed to be one of the big golfing areas of the country.
NeG yes we did have San Antonio on the list originally. It has been moved lower because of as you said staying nearer to home (East Coast). I am looking for temporate weather and the wife would like sturdy mountains in her view though I prefer the skimpy beaches (for the skimpy swim suits, not on me!). I am one to compromise and when I thought of SA TX it would actually be the best if travel for me and Mrs Golf were the only consideration. I did look at the travel to and from MA for my daughter who will not have the resources to travel anyway.

TN is a moderate climate with a lot of beautiful scenery and country. It also is very tax friendly as it is number 4 on the lowest tax burden for the residents. Property is relatively inexpensive and as I am not looking for employment but enjoyment it fits that need well. It has a very highly rated VA hospital in Johnson City and that could come in handy for me should I become a burden to the wife. She could plop me down there and have no worries for me.

Yeah so many choices and reasons for looking. No matter which though tax burden is top of the things that have to pass muster. It can be mitigated by other factors but I look there first. 4 years before I retire and 6 before any planned moved I can and will probably look at a few more locations.

How did TN come into play? The wife mentioned Chattanooga.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
You are right that place is gorgeous. I will add that to the mix. I wonder how many other places like that are in TN. There is only so many places I can look at before I stop drooling and dreaming. I am very lucky in that I have a few years before I plan on moving. I still have all that detailing work to be done n my house.

Thanks Tek. Maybe we might be neighbors or at least golfing buddies occasionally.
A plus for FFG and areas around it is that it's on the Cumberland Plateau. The summers are milder, and so are the winters. It has a different ecosystem than the lower elevations.

I'll drive the cart. I can't golf with this messed up rotator cuff.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:21 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,437,818 times
I lived in Huntsville, AL just south of TN for two years. Everything is nice except weather: rain, gray, gloomy, humidity, tornadoes, clouds, snow, bugs.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
I lived in Huntsville, AL just south of TN for two years. Everything is nice except weather: rain, gray, gloomy, humidity, tornadoes, clouds, snow, bugs.

Sounds like I won't miss home too much weather wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement